New interface thoughts and comments.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Does anybody have any screenshots to show the new UI?

r5ZXA.jpg

oypPZ.jpg

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
You dont necessarily have to scroll through all the tables. You can tap on any backglass image to the right or left and it brings it to the center. It's much faster to get to a table than the old interface.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
In terms of usability in the ipad it's a little bit better.... But I hardly see how this will stand up as the list of tables grows ever larger. Farsighted needs to look at iTunes, or other such applications that visually sift through data.

I cannot, on the verge of 2013 excuse the opening screen icons, they look like freebies downloaded from 1995! Sorry it's true! Bevel and emboss died with the 90s!

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Good points there.

Here's something I've learned while studying industrial design:
1. It is my duty as a designer to inform my client if their proposal will result in something that is considered bad design and provide them with better alternatives. That usually works, because few clients really know what they want until you show it to them.
2. If they really insist that I do what they initially proposed, I try to "soften the fall" and at least execute the design with best quality, polish and taste possible within the boundaries - I still want to make something I dare to stand behind.

That is like a "Design Prime Directive" I follow when I work with different clients doing design for them, and I bet most designers have similar principles they follow.

I don't see this having happened in the case of TPA menu system. Not only are some design elements really tacky and outdated in their essence (gradients, bevel/emboss, clip art) but they lack polish and quality in execution as well (with that said, the whole product lacks polish in many ways, but let's not go into that here).

It may very well be that it doesn't work like this when it comes to game studios. I admit I know next to nothing about them.
Excellent points as well. As a designer (I work in animation), I know all of this too well. However, I think most of what you've outlined applies mostly to client based work. But working with a smaller team, if there isn't a designated leader of the team, and even then if there is, it can be a very different dynamic. But that said, I agree, TPA is definitely lacking the polish that it deserves.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I like being to access the goals for each table on the main screen. Overall I think the layout is fine as well as a huge improvement over the original. Coin slots in place of the buy now stamp is also a nice touch.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
Aside from the lack of portrate, I don't have any problem with it. I think it's definitely an improvement over the previous menu. I like that by moving through the backglass images, it gives you a view of the full machine.

I agree, I like this new UI and I'll like it more with portrait.

It's nice the tables are in alphabetical order, and a big swipe can get through a load of tables at once.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
The gameplay is more important than the UI, but to deliver something like this reveals a little lack of love for their product. Perhaps they were rushed, I don't know.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I think it's fine, but I'd appreciate portrait mode (which is apparently on the way) and a grid/iTunes-like interface option. Insulting the company or art department seems a bit unfair - it's not that bad an aesthetic.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I think this new interface has pretty much gone down like a lead balloon, I hope FS are taking notice. Just give us a grid made out of backglass's, and when there's too many to fit on one screen let the whole grid scroll up and down the required amount. Also allow us to order the tables by either manufacturer, alphabetical or order released.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I don't care how amateurish the interface looks, (though the first screen before the table selection truly is... baffling. Programmer art at its best) however the fact that it's nearly impossible to slide through the backglasses properly to hit the one you want is a little more concerning. If it would just use the standard "swipe/drag" mechanism of every other touch app, it would have been fine. I wouldn't mind the concept of having to scroll through all the tables, if I could at least do it properly.

Hinph

Feb 29, 2012
I really don't care about the interface one way or the other so long as it is functional... but I understand its importance in boosting the presentation of the product and driving in people who aren't already totally hooked.

They should go for something a little more simple and modern... perhaps contract somebody outside of the company to help them out if they don't have any strong graphic artists.

Of course, I was looking forward to the return of the virtual arcade idea, but I am sure that that is the last thing they are worried about working on right now.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I still wish it was just a grid of backglasses.

Like a gallery mode view? You have my vote. That would be a great way of interacting.

I like the text additions below each backglass for those folk who aren't familiar with the backglass art.

I don't like how jittery the scrolling is on Android.

The interface looks a little 'cheap'. Sorry, but it is how I feel about it. At the moment, it looks tacked on. Particularly as the 'old' interface is still present in each table, the two just don't fit together.

This interface should have stayed in beta until some actual user feedback was collected. A more controlled migration would have been better.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I hate to say it but it's still super ugly.

The issues I have with the UI isn't scrolling through tables, it's the ugly red font and just overall look, and the annoying "chime" sound effects.

The "chime" is especially annoying during name entry because often you have that sound effect competing with the tables sound effect it's very unprofessional.

To be honest though I don't really care about UI just fix the bugs in the current releases and I'm fine with the game.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I don't like how jittery the scrolling is on Android

Its exactly the same on ios, there's something strange about the way they've implimented it, sometimes it seems to work ok but other times the backglass buttons have a little fit when you try to sroll.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I think this new interface has pretty much gone down like a lead balloon, I hope FS are taking notice. Just give us a grid made out of backglass's, and when there's too many to fit on one screen let the whole grid scroll up and down the required amount. Also allow us to order the tables by either manufacturer, alphabetical or order released.

A big +1

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts