new layout/update

wolfson

May 24, 2013
did anyone stop to think they went for a retro look for the UI ?our oldest table is 50 years old.most tables are from 1970s to 1990s,so that`s why the retro look. I love it !!!!:cool:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
did anyone stop to think they went for a retro look for the UI ?our oldest table is 50 years old.most tables are from 1970s to 1990s,so that`s why the retro look. I love it !!!!:cool:

Retro and flat out bad design and presentation are two totally different things. The previous UI was actually much more pinball retro looking than the new one.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I could care less about how it looks, as long as it works properly. Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly. (Which is strange, because they did get the Steam beta to a point where it was working quite well. I understand that FS did lose a lot of work due to a recent hardware failure, though, which may explain the seeming backwards step the UI took.)

invitro

May 4, 2012
But it's not a retro look. It looks exactly like the default UI of so many Unity games that are all over Steam, which is the most modern, non-retro look possible. And it doesn't look like anything from 1970, or 1990, or any other time period. :) (I do care how the UI looks, and I hate it.)

(Well, hate is a strong word. I do hate it, and even started planning to try to hack the game to get the old GUI back, but it doesn't bother me so much any more. There are plenty of other TPA projects of higher priority. And I haven't noted any bugs at all, though I've gotten only one new high score on it, and Tarek's report on his problem on WWater gives me pause.)

Last edited:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
But it's not a retro look. It looks exactly like the default UI of so many Unity games that are all over Steam, which is the most modern, non-retro look possible. And it doesn't look like anything from 1970, or 1990, or any other time period. :) (I do care how the UI looks, and I hate it.)

(Well, hate is a strong word. I do hate it, and even started planning to try to hack the game to get the old GUI back, but it doesn't bother me so much any more. There are plenty of other TPA projects of higher priority. And I haven't noted any bugs at all, though I've gotten only one new high score on it, and Tarek's report on his problem on WWater gives me pause.)
invitro,there no hard feelings.most of us live in the free world and it`s great that everyone is able to have a say :cool:and you are right,there are other TPA projects higher on the totem pole.:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I could care less about how it looks, as long as it works properly. Unfortunately, it doesn't work properly. (Which is strange, because they did get the Steam beta to a point where it was working quite well. I understand that FS did lose a lot of work due to a recent hardware failure, though, which may explain the seeming backwards step the UI took.)
Eldar on my PC it works fine,i`m using an XBOX 1controller. I know there are some bugs.:cool:

wolfson

May 24, 2013
Yeah, I'm not seeing how it's "retro". You mean retro like a DVD menu from 1999?
HotHamBoy,retro can mean a few things,something new made jn the STYLE,FASHION,FURNITURE,ARTIFACS of the past.:cool:like you said about the dvd from 1999,if you made a new dvd with the style of the 1999 menu,then you could call that retro.:cool:

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
HotHamBoy,retro can mean a few things,something new made jn the STYLE,FASHION,FURNITURE,ARTIFACS of the past.:cool:like you said about the dvd from 1999,if you made a new dvd with the style of the 1999 menu,then you could call that retro.:cool:

Ha! True I suppose, but you could also just call it bad design.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
On a positive note the TPA review score on Steam has dropped to only 29% positive. Ha! 71% thumbs down votes and every single review on their store page is negative.

Anubis

Jun 4, 2016
Has anybody else noticed that (on iPad) that it locks up when you get your highest score on a table? All of the menus/options disappear and you are forced to reboot.

There are features I like. I like "random table". And, I like the table sort by goals. But, the new UI is a bit glitchy.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
The new interface is indeed more functional (on iPad air 2), but boy is it UGLY. The selection screen with the pinball 'balls' is OK, but selecting tables is archaic when compared to other apps. The 'pop-up' info bubbles with the table photo with basic stats is unappealing and low resolution. Most grievous complaint, kerning is screwed up on tables with long names so they overshoot the selection box boundaries. This looks sloppy and not something one would expect from a 'premium app'. On the whole, the interface seems like a BETA, it needs serious tweeking & beautifying.

All that negative stuff said; it is functional, and at least they fixed the paid table bug so now all my purchases show up properly.

Fix the kerning and other bugs, it'll do.

Last edited:

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Has anybody else noticed that (on iPad) that it locks up when you get your highest score on a table? All of the menus/options disappear and you are forced to reboot.

There are features I like. I like "random table". And, I like the table sort by goals. But, the new UI is a bit glitchy.
On my iPad mini when it gets to that point I set it aside and after about 45-60 seconded it will move on. But patience is something I have plenty of.

John R. Martin

May 11, 2014
I thought I would save my comments until I played more than a couple of tables with the new UI, and now that I have, I can safely say that this UI has hurt the game MORE than it helps.

Yes, some of the sort options are nice, and it is cool to see the tables by year and such, but since the new UI was pushed, my scoring has been around 1/3 to 1/2 of what it was with the old layout.

Just some observations that I have seen so far that should be addressed:
1.) The background music, although a good song in its own right, (Pinball Wizard is actually one of my fav. Who songs), does get annoying after a while.
2.) In Gorgar, the scores do not fit the layout on the table, and are not centered in their respective boxes
3.) Monster's Ball, the muti-ball camera locks on the flippers during the Monsters of Rock, thus making that feature hard, if not impossible to control.
4.) Overall game play seems to have taken a hit with the update, with delays in reaction to button presses in the game.
5.) When choosing the number of players in a game, entering initials during high score posts, and other menus, using the Enter key has no effect, which you could do in the older UI.

These are just a few of the issues that I have seen with this new layout.

Oh, and my current version is 1.50.12 (Steam version)

invitro

May 4, 2012
3.) Monster's Ball, the muti-ball camera locks on the flippers during the Monsters of Rock, thus making that feature hard, if not impossible to control.
4.) Overall game play seems to have taken a hit with the update, with delays in reaction to button presses in the game.
5.) When choosing the number of players in a game, entering initials during high score posts, and other menus, using the Enter key has no effect, which you could do in the older UI.

Oh, and my current version is 1.50.12 (Steam version)

Hmm... on (5), I've had no problems using Enter to enter an initial for high scores. I haven't noticed (4), except that Esc takes a hair longer to show the menu, but I may not be as sensitive to delays... are you using keyboard or gamepad? I'm guessing keyboard since you mention the Enter key; I use keyboard too. (3) makes me nervous, but was that just a one-time thing, or on every MoR? Most tables seem to have a bad camera every so often. It almost always fixes itself at the end of a multiball, or a ball launch, but I did have a plunger camera locked for the remainder of a (good) CV game a day ago.

I still haven't noticed any (really bad) bugs that are definitely due to the new GUI.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.