Nexus 7 and TPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Unlocking and rooting the Nexus 7 is incredibly easy. Just download the Nexus toolkit from XDA developers. In fact here is the link for you

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

and the thread on XDA site...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2015469

The toolkit works with all nexus devices and has everything you need included in one nice neat tidy little package.

In addition anything you do to root or unlock the device can be undone. It can be relocked and returned to stock without a trace left that you have unlocked the bootloader and/or rooted it. In fact I used to own a Nexus 7, but I had to return it. So I relocked it and returned it w/o any issue. The whole thing is pretty easy, just follow the simple instructions and it'll be easy.

Also, anytime you unlock the bootloader on an android device it wipes the internal memory of said device. So better to do it soon, rather than wait and lose all your stuff. Especially since on the Nexus 7 you can undo everything if you decide to return it.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I rooted mine and my android phone and it's great. Really opens up a new level of functionality, especially the ability to block ads, which is fantastic. Also the potential of damaging your device is virtually nil when you are just unlocking bootloader and rooting it. Although once you start flashing roms/kernels you have a chance to break it, but, only if you flash something which is not meant for your device, or the specific version of your device. Anyways, good luck!

Well, I must be borderline mentally r*t*r*e*, because i can't get the ABD drivers to detect. Guess I'll be cleaning them all up again or maybe trying for the manual route.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Looks like Nexus device's can expect an OTA OS update to Android 4.3 in the next few days.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=43898795

Any root access users don't forget to backup your root permissions using OTA Rootkeeper App as you will lose them after an OTA update.

***EDIT - just spotted that OTA Rootkeeper will not work with 4.3 due to changes in security permissions.
Rooted users wishing to keep root permissions via Rootkeeper app SHOULD NOT install the OTA until this is resolved. Keep checking the above Play Store link for updates. ***

Post up if you get the update and how it works with TPA.

------
Technique to force your OTA update (When made available).

(in Settings, Apps) find 'Google Framework'.
Clear Data, Force Close, Clear data again.
Go settings, about tablet, system updates, check now.
------

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Good catch there Baron.

I'd like to update but I really don't want the soft buttons on the screen, they drive me nuts.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Good catch there Baron.

I'd like to update but I really don't want the soft buttons on the screen, they drive me nuts.

Yeah me too - I love full!screen+, plus I can't cope without Sixaxis.

I'll hold off update until Rootkeeper is updated, or... I believe Wugfresh is working through the night to give us 1.6.5 update to his toolkit.

mudtoe

Sep 21, 2012
***EDIT - just spotted that OTA Rootkeeper will not work with 4.3 due to changes in security permissions.
Rooted users wishing to keep root permissions via Rootkeeper app SHOULD NOT install the OTA until this is resolved. Keep checking the above Play Store link for updates. ***

Good call & thanks for the tip, BR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online