No Good Gofers - Elvira

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
There was an open call for beta testers prior to the initial release. Apparently it is still an adequate pool as they haven't had additional requests.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
That's just it though. The version I played in VP and the PBHOF version both had too clear of plastic, which made the ball look like it magically floated through the air. This should help visually replicate what it's like in the real world, where you can clearly make out the different levels involved back there.

Oh yeah. After playing the PHOF version, I always thought the "Hole in One" shot flew through the air.

karl

May 10, 2012
Yes! The tables was submitted to Apple last Wednesday. Time to start checking the app store every hour again :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's... not supposed to look like this at all. That's how it's supposed to look:

The blue plastic and lighting are all wrong.

This is one time when the minor change is much needed. NGG is a chaotic visual experience in real life, and in the virtual world it almost becomes impossible to distinguish what is what. Anyone that has played it in VP or PHOF can attest to this. What FS did this time around looks to make the table much more playable, and I think what they did to the back clear ramps is fantastic.

Emmanuel Papillon

Apr 26, 2012
This is one time when the minor change is much needed. NGG is a chaotic visual experience in real life, and in the virtual world it almost becomes impossible to distinguish what is what. Anyone that has played it in VP or PHOF can attest to this. What FS did this time around looks to make the table much more playable, and I think what they did to the back clear ramps is fantastic.
How is making the very transparent blue plastic nearly opaque and making the table much, much, much darker improve readability?

Also, the lighting effect when you roll through the back ramp is extremely poor, it's supposed to give a "turning" effect.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Look, all I know is what I've played. I've played NGG in VP and in PHOF, and in both cases I found the back of the playfield, particularly the golf cart shot, to be extremely confusing visually. When I've played in real life, it's a bit of confusion too, but (obviously) your eyes are able to tell you what is what in 3 dimensions. When I watched the video for what FS has done, I felt they really cracked that nut of how to make that back section playable. Just my 2 cents.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The iPad version is usually brighter than the 360 version. I hope that is the case again with NGG. The colors should be more vibrant. And tone down the ramps a bit. I see the complaint about the clear glass being confusing during game play, maybe just a touch clearer to see below. This I think would strike the perfect balance of how it looks in reality, yet would make it more playable in a video form.

But that Elvira table looks fantastic.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The iPad version is usually brighter than the 360 version. I hope that is the case again with NGG. The colors should be more vibrant. And tone down the ramps a bit. I see the complaint about the clear glass being confusing during game play, maybe just a touch clearer to see below. This I think would strike the perfect balance of how it looks in reality, yet would make it more playable in a video form.

But that Elvira table looks fantastic.

Yeah, I think just a bit clearer would strike a perfect balance.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

I completely disagree. Making the clear plastics "harder" colored has the complete opposite effect of what you are talking about.

The PBHOF version looks MUCH better, and I have no idea what you mean by unable to distinguish things, I have no trouble with either the HOF version or the real life version. Here, however, all the detail is darkened out making a once visually appealing board look dull and lifeless, while the hard colored plastic just makes the playfield underneath it harder to see.

This is one of the few tables I have real life experience with, and so far I'm very dissapointed by the look of the PBA version. This table is gorgeous and brimming with life and color in real life!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
To each his own then. This time I get to be the one smiling!

No offense but you are kinda the lone wolf on this one, the consensus here and especially on Facebook is that the table is too dark, and the plastics look wrong. Considering how early it is in development, the chances of them changing it for the better are high.

I'm all for a "Dark" or "Night Time" lighting scheme, and overall the updated lighting on the consoles is exactly that. And for the most part, it looks fine. However, the low contrast does kill playfield detail a bit, and in the case of NGG, it kills it A LOT.

Farsight has said that both a "Daytime" and "Night time" light mode is in the works to please everyone, but what I'm driving at is, the table does not look like this in a dark setting. Even IRL in a darker setting, the color really pops on this thing. Your whole argument that darkened out details somehow makes this table easier to play, again, makes zero sense to me.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
No offense but you are kinda the lone wolf on this one, the consensus here and especially on Facebook is that the table is too dark, and the plastics look wrong. Considering how early it is in development, the chances of them changing it for the better are high.

I'm all for a "Dark" or "Night Time" lighting scheme, and overall the updated lighting on the consoles is exactly that. And for the most part, it looks fine. However, the low contrast does kill playfield detail a bit, and in the case of NGG, it kills it A LOT.

Farsight has said that both a "Daytime" and "Night time" light mode is in the works to please everyone, but what I'm driving at is, the table does not look like this in a dark setting. Even IRL in a darker setting, the color really pops on this thing. Your whole argument that darkened out details somehow makes this table easier to play, again, makes zero sense to me.

Whoa whoa whoa. I never said I liked the darkened out details of the entire table. What I specifically said was, I like how they darkened the clear plastic (what the hell would you call it, cause its not a ramp?) area for the golf cart/hole in one shot. By frosting it a little, you can now clearly see it as well as the ramps underneath, so that when you shoot that cart shot, the ball doesn't look like it's magically floating above the ramps. I also don't have a problem with the blue tint on the left and right plastics, though I'll admit it's an odd choice.

Oh, and if I went by ANY consensus on Facebook, then FS is the lamest ass backwards company in gaming, they like to screw their customers at every opportunity, and they make tables that are completely unplayable. Yep, sounds like the Facebook crowd to me.

So, to be abso-freakin'-lutely clear here, it's the upper third of the table, specifically the 3rd level you might say, that I like having been darkened or frosted a bit. That's what I've been able to see in real life (ambient light from the room, scuff marks) that separates that area out for me, something I feel has always been missing in PHOF and VP recreations. NGG is an incredibly vivid table, so no I'm not a fan of the overly dark everything else just so the light show pops more, but I've gotten used to it on all the other tables and I've got my fingers crossed about a day/night slider.

As for being the 'lone wolf'? As in most arenas, complaints always tend to outnumber compliments, yet by and large, the majority of people are satisfied and don't bother posting just for the sake of glad handing. We'll revisit the chances of changes happening because of the outpouring of complaints on Facebook when the time comes. I'm fairly confident the frosting of the plastic is gonna stay.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.