No Release Date Yet?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I get the feeling that the WiiU has not proven to be a profitable area for digitally downloaded non-First Party games to do well so the plans are back burnered at best. You can't really blame them either.

They recently stated that wii u is a very underpowered platform. I am no expert but I've heard other developers say it was on par with an x360. Unless some particular aspect of the hardware is holding it back, it doesn't seem as though the system should have difficulty running the game, even if it meant taking out features like they do on mobile devices.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I get the feeling that the WiiU has not proven to be a profitable area for digitally downloaded non-First Party games to do well so the plans are back burnered at best. You can't really blame them either.

What I do blame FS for is prominently displaying "WiiU" on their own webpage and their FB page, when people don't hear anything about it for months on end. Plus they're still saying "Xbox Live" even though it's been delisted.

These are still on both pages, right now!

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I gotta say that after seeing the mediocre launch titles for Xbox One and PS4 (TPA and Resogun aside), I went out and bought a Wii U a couple of weeks ago instead. I can understand why FS are reluctant to publish on it though. I'm not sure how far Wii U owners look beyond Nintendo in-house games, and if pinball naturally appeals to older gamers, they've most likely gone with a more "adult" console by Sony or MS.

Personally, I find the Wii U is home to a number of exceptionally vibrant games. I never liked the Wii much, with it's over-emphasis on vague motion controls, but the Wii U feels like the true successor to the GameCube - my favourite ever console. I would love to see TPA on it but I'm not holding my breath.

Dok5555555

Nov 1, 2013
Is there any timeline for the Wii U release? Seems like forever since we heard any news about this version. A couple of newsletters ago it was mentioned as being submitted, but that was a couple months ago. Anyone know if there's been any progress?

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
From what I just saw on Facebook, xbone development has taken precedence over wiiu so looks like this version is all but canned at this point.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
It's a shame, but depending upon how it looks hooked up to a TV I might just run TPA on my iPad even for big-screen play or do without.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
not sure how that will work.

I tried playing TPA with the HDMI adaptor on my Note2 (and the Galaxy S3) and the performance was abysmal. Even when playing in 1080i which reported 60fps, it was only remotely playable when the ball was moving slowly.

If the iPad is better I'd be interested in knowing though.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
And FarSight is still showing "WiiU" and "Xbox live" on their FB page. Even though it (for all we know) has not been submitted to Nintendo and delisted from Xbox Live.
As much as I love FS for putting out this collection and as little as it affects me now, since I have all tables on Android and PC, I still think it's unethical to advertise your game as being available for a system...when it isn't.

Good on FS for releasing this on multiple systems, bad on them for only saying they will release it on some systems.

I posted this nearly four months ago. I've just checked their official website seconds ago, and it still says TPA is available on WiiU and Xbox Live Arcade.

They can't even update their own website right. Don't know if they still say it's available for both systems on their FB page-since I don't use FB.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I wish it was easier to find info. I had to browse the facebook page to find out that the Wii U version was indefinitely put on hold to focus on the Xbox One version. Nothing on the news page. :( I'll probably be sticking to the PC version. Video card is not the greatest, but it still runs Pinball Arcade very well.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
Something I feel is worth mentioning here: Nintendo's submission process is actually a very long one. It's not because of any bureaucratic red tape (well, it's there, but that's not the biggest reason for it). Rather, Nintendo itself checks each digital submission to make sure there are no huge glitches, game-crashing stuff, or other issues that could render a game difficult to play. For instance, when Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed's Wii U version was discovered to have a handful of glitches that made it impossible to proceed in its single-player mode. (If you want to know, a few missions had timers so strict, it was literally impossible to finish, and someone discovered one stage late in the game made you start as a boat on land.) A patch was issued out about a week after the game was released. It took 2 months for Nintendo to approve of the patch and make it available to the public. The reason was that Nintendo did some of its own testing to make sure there was nothing that would screw up the game further.

It is possible that Nintendo found something in the version of Pinball Arcade Farsight submitted and it was rejected, and fixing this issue (or issues) has proven to be a hassle or is a low priority within Farsight. This would explain why Zen Studios has so little trouble porting to the Wii U: The versions it submits are probably clean of major bugs and glitches, and it passes through the Nintendo filter quickly and easily. (I know someone who's really into Sorcerer's Lair, and she discovered one glitch, a camera issue, after what seems to be about 30 to 40 hours of play. It doesn't take nearly as long for me to find something weird happening in Pinball Arcade on any version I've played.)

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Farsight's post from the Facebook page:
"The wii-u should not be considered a true "next-gen" or now "current-gen" system, the power just isn't there, it's more like a wii 1.5 with an updated controller. This isn't to say that we aren't still interested in developing for it, just that no one should be confusing the performance with anything near an xbox one, ps4, or even a PS3 or Xbox 360, the Wii is not meant to compete graphically with those systems, it's an entirely different approach to console development, meant to be an affordable intuitive console for families."

This post has me very disappointed. I know third party support hasn't been the best, but I read elsewhere that Wii U is comparable in power to 360 and PS3.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
Farsight's post from the Facebook page:
"The wii-u should not be considered a true "next-gen" or now "current-gen" system, the power just isn't there, it's more like a wii 1.5 with an updated controller. This isn't to say that we aren't still interested in developing for it, just that no one should be confusing the performance with anything near an xbox one, ps4, or even a PS3 or Xbox 360, the Wii is not meant to compete graphically with those systems, it's an entirely different approach to console development, meant to be an affordable intuitive console for families."

This post has me very disappointed. I know third party support hasn't been the best, but I read elsewhere that Wii U is comparable in power to 360 and PS3.

I'm inclined to believe that the Wii U is on the level of the PS3/360. It's reports everywhere claiming that it's even a bit more powerful than they (PS3/360) are. I don't know how to take that comment, but it just seems like the Wii U isn't a priority at the moment. Not to the other 2. Hmmm...

Redrazorback64

Jun 3, 2013
It would depend upon the game being made. Just look at the Wii U specs. The cpu is quite a bit slower than Xbox 360 or PS3. It has a comparible GPU and more RAM though. So it really depends on what kind of power the developer needs. Some games would run better on Wii U than Xbox 360 or PS3. Most would not.

Also, remember that whatever is displayed on the tablet is being streamed from the Wii U system itself, which means cutting into the already limited resources the system has.

Last edited:

dreassic

Banned
Oct 26, 2013
Making sure to pirate this ****ty devs game on PC. My money they will never get anymore.
If I could I would retract my Android versions purchase as well.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
It would depend upon the game being made. Just look at the Wii U specs. The cpu is quite a bit slower than Xbox 360 or PS3. It has a comparible GPU and more RAM though.

Just looking at the specs doesn't tell me much, since different processers run at different speeds. CPU sounds comparable to 360. Looking at the specs give me the impression that it's the GPU is slower, but I heard it both ways (I love Psych).

dreassic said:
Making sure to pirate this ****ty devs game on PC. My money they will never get anymore.

Not cool. I don't agree on the WiiU stance, but Farsight is a good company. Farsight makes a nice product, and Wii U support won't change that. Pinball Arcade was good when it started out, but it has gone a long way and is even better now. I just purchased season 1 on PC and will definitely support the Vita version when, or if, I get one.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
The Facebook page has home nuts about this comment. The poor moderator, despite profusely apologizing is getting whipped like a government mule by Nintendo fanboys. I do believe that the wii u is slightly more powerful as an overall package compared to ps3 and x360 and has made some awesome looking games but tpa is not a standard game. It is running emulation. From what I've been told and read, emulation is a CPU intensive process. Since the CPU isn't as powerful as the x360 and ps3, it sounds like tpa would be more challenging to run with comparable performance.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
As a reminder to members, suggesting that TPA deserves to be pirated is one of the few absolute red lines we have. Crossing over that line will get you immediately banned.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.