Nudging on iPad

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
I'm having a real issue getting consistent with nudging on my iPad. Anyone have any tips? What do you think is the best table to learn on?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Don't use "shake to nudge". It's not quite right on iOS. I use "touch to nudge". Config "C". I like to hold the iPad in the middle for weight balance as opposed to activating the flippers from the bottom.

Big Shot is good for nudge practice.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I've found that using my index fingers to nudge left or right is fairly effective. My scores jumped quite a bit once I nailed down a technique.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Control scheme E for me. Touch to nudge. Invert nudge. It also helped me at first to display the touch scheme until I got used to it.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks everybody. Displaying the touch scheme is clutch. What exactly is the benefit to invert nudge?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks everybody. Displaying the touch scheme is clutch. What exactly is the benefit to invert nudge?

Depends. Some folks like to try to nudge as if you're nudging the ball itself in the direction you want. I like nudging as if I'm moving the table itself and the ball moves the opposite direction.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Depends. Some folks like to try to nudge as if you're nudging the ball itself in the direction you want. I like nudging as if I'm moving the table itself and the ball moves the opposite direction.

Yep. It's just what I prefer.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
I really like touch to nudge, but just tried swipe to see how it responded. I wish touch responded like swipe, seemed you could swipe a few times without getting a tilt (Firepower)-whereas touch gives you a one shot deal. Tone down touch to nudge a bit I would be happy-and after watching a few PS3/4 videos I see they have a free for all in nudging-to me unfair.

I know the one bad habit I have is especially in Firepower (since I have been rocking that table exclusively for a few days, is touching the side of an outlane instead of the opposite side, this means usually instant drain but I can't help it. I use invert too as it makes flipper control easier.

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I prefer inverted touch nudging in control scheme E. Not displayed, this distracts too much, but it's really good to start with that to get to know the layout . I use my index fingers to quickly reach out to the upper left and right nudge areas. I have some things I learned that may be of use and they all have in common that you use nudging more often and not only to save drains. This ups your training time with it, and makes nudging more automatic and a more integral part of your playing. Well, for me that worked anyway:

- Practice pre-emptive nudging instead of the last-second save, this will greatly improve the succes with which you nudge. On STTNG for example, if the ball leaves the bumper area to the left on the playfield (and not into the right orbit), a left drain is a sure thing, do two quick right nudges and you reclaim control of the ball. Firepower is also a very good table to do pre-emptive nudging, that left outlane is a killer! TPA is quite predictable still in its physics, so on a lot of the tables you can learn certain angles that are sure drain hazards.
- I don't know if you are familiar with cradle seperations (just google them on youtube to get life examples), but those are also very good to practice nudging, especially when the "high" ball is going STDM (which happens), a quick nudge can prevent that and steer the ball more towards the opposite flipper. Cradle seperations are much harder in TPA because the program does not allow for "tapping" the flippers, meaning a really quick flip that only moves the flipper a bit, but it can be done in TPA.
- There are some tables in which you can use nudging to steer balls towards useful targets. For example the left orbit shot on Theatre of Magic can be stopped above the roll-over targets by nudging upward at the right time. This is the only way I know of to get the bonus multiplier up to 8x outside of multiball and the "straightjacket" mode where the ball is stopped by a gate. Also getting the "secret lock" is possible by nudging an innerloop shot into the Magic Trunk on that same table.

So I guess my point is to nudge more often, also if it's not about saving balls.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
Yes nudging in PS3 is pretty insensitive. You can nudge pretty much constantly if you just move the stick slightly because a bigger nudge the stick moves farther. I'm guessing the swiping motion is similar where there is a level of sensitivity to it, whereas touching the nudge area in the screen exceeds the strength sensitivity.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
Playing POTO made me dig up this old thread. I really wish Farsight would take a page from the Zaccaria App and have a nudging area at the bottom center of the screen between the flipper area. That way you can use your thumbs like a track pad rather than use other fingers or move your thumbs up to nudge. Zacc keeps nudging on the same plane as flippers and it makes for faster more controlled response.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.