Android - Bug Observed Bugs in Twilight Zone (v1.7.0 BETA)

N

Nik Barbour

Beta ver01:-

Just had to abort 2 out of last 4 games due to balls jamming entering the gumball machine (despite using my patented, nudge as the balls descend work around).

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Beta ver01:-

Just had to abort 2 out of last 4 games due to balls jamming entering the gumball machine (despite using my patented, nudge as the balls descend work around).

I must admit, I've never seen this behavior present on the TF300T.

I play in Landscape orientation always. I noticed you play in Portrait. I wonder if the balls jamming has something to do with screen orientation, or screen pixel density, or something equally as quirky.

Wasn't that an issue on another table with balls getting trapped. Can you remember that issue, Ryan?

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
Agreed, I've never had the gum ball jam before, I too wondered if related to display size. I play on nexus 7 in portrait. BTW nik, thanks for tip on the camera flipper lift, most helpful.

N

Nik Barbour

It is a bit of a tortuous path by design when viewed on 'table exploration' mode.
9u2ygaga.jpg

I'm guessing it sticks at the end of the inverted 'J' shape where it does a 90° twist (can't tell when playing).
Re:- pixel theory - I still have that BK issue, plunge - hold out upper R flipper, ball rolls over upper L flipper and hits an invisible stop at upper left flipper pivot point, that no one else seems to suffer from.

@xAzatothx - any time mate!

Last edited:

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Don't forget - when shooting the camera using the upper rh flipper, to lift and hold the upper left flipper up, as it partially obscures the shot.
Might have been blocking your shots if you didn't know it was there!

Thanks Nik. This had me puzzled for days! Is this the same on the proper table?

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
It is a bit of a tortuous path by design when viewed on 'table exploration' mode.
9u2ygaga.jpg

I'm guessing it sticks at the end of the inverted 'J' shape where it does a 90° twist (can't tell when playing).
Re:- pixel theory - I still have that BK issue, plunge - hold out upper R flipper, ball rolls over upper L flipper and hits an invisible stop at upper left flipper pivot point, that no one else seems to suffer from.

@xAzatothx - any time mate!

How are you able to focus on that corner of the table in exploration mode? When I try it it will only zoom in and out or pan left and right, I could never get it into that corner.

N

Nik Barbour

How are you able to focus on that corner of the table in exploration mode? When I try it it will only zoom in and out or pan left and right, I could never get it into that corner.

Fully zoomed out, finger at top middle of screen, pull down (this will roll table down to plan view).
Then pinch zoom in, and left - right sweeps to pan to desired corner.

I still think 'table exploration' mode controls are a steaming pile of cr@p. No offence to anyone at FarSight, but where is the rotate camera option?
I won't be buying many pro packs!

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I noticed on the Google forums that there are performance problems with the Nexus 7 after applying the 4.2 JellyBean update, most people suggest stopping the auto background scan for google Currents. Did this and then played TZ!

interesting game to say the least.

1) right before I got "into the zone" I hit the performance issue - dropped frames makes play difficult.
2) I got a ball jammed outside of the gumball machine (right before it enters), but luckily it gave me another ball in the plunger so I could carry on. When I eventually fired another ball to the gumball machine it freed the blockage and both balls entered. I would have taken a screen shot, but having not done this before I was worried it might screw my game up.
3) I had the constant ticking noise - which seems to go hand in hand with the inability to see the plunger.
4) i lost the ability to see the plunger for 2 balls but this did clear up on my final ball.

I managed a top 4 score, but would like to think I would have got "into the zone" twice had it not been for the choppy framerate and above issues. Awesome table FS, but hopefully the above issues can be tracked down and fixed (seems the longer your game the more issues you hit). Can we get a debug version at all?

N

netizen

Can we get a debug version at all?

Oddly enough it was my request for this to support@ when this forum was recommended to me.

I can't find the video now but there was one that FS had posted a while back that was an interview with Josh Sharpe re: the benefits of the emulation vs the scripting of tables and how no matter how well one knows a table with modern tables there is so much happening that you can only recognize/identify so much of what's happening simply by sight.

Found the video:

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Sorry for the delay in answering this, been busy dealing with car stuff.

So does this only happen upon monkeying with the ball skin menu? (or did we rule that out?)

I know this was mentioned before and I can't see a difference.

If not then i might have an idea as to why it looks slightly different. Previously the ball textures were using a highly compressed format that does not include an alpha channel for transparency. With the new tech, obviously this had to change, so its possible that is what you are seeing. The source art is exactly the same, it must have just darkened up the texture upon compressing it.

If it is changing after you mess with the ball menu though that is completely different.

Ver01 beta (darker ball)
pyqabypy.jpg

Ver02 beta (lighter ball)
y8u8y4at.jpg

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
ah nevermind, someone changed the art from under me, no wonder. I guess on ios people were complaining that the ball was too dark and hard to see so they created a lighter version.

So you guys prefer the darker one?

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
ah nevermind, someone changed the art from under me, no wonder. I guess on ios people were complaining that the ball was too dark and hard to see so they created a lighter version.

So you guys prefer the darker one?

Yes personally i prefer the darker ball, but a lighter ball isnt exactly a dissaster. I would be nice if both versions were availible in ball skins.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
it does not appear to make any difference to me accessing the ball skin menu though, can you guys confirm this?

N

Nik Barbour

Sorry for the delay in answering this, been busy dealing with car stuff.

So does this only happen upon monkeying with the ball skin menu? (or did we rule that out?)

I know this was mentioned before and I can't see a difference.

If not then i might have an idea as to why it looks slightly different. Previously the ball textures were using a highly compressed format that does not include an alpha channel for transparency. With the new tech, obviously this had to change, so its possible that is what you are seeing. The source art is exactly the same, it must have just darkened up the texture upon compressing it.

If it is changing after you mess with the ball menu though that is completely different.

I did a full uninstall, wiped saved data (where user specific ball skin data is held) re-installed beta02, didn't go near the skin settings.
Results - ver02 had lighter ball as posted previously, exact same as ver01 ball but lighter. I do have performance slow down compared to ver01.
This is with clean install, not restoring 'saved_data' file.

Ryan - will there be an option, to go back to the default ball, which is only drawn the once (as ver01)?
Lag is pretty bad in ver02 on my older device, I've gone back to ver01.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I am also not getting the HOF crash that was described (i was before). Are you guys still experiencing this on your side?

K

Korven

Sv: Observed Bugs in Twilight Zone (v1.7.0 BETA)

I get the HoF crash on beta v2, also my HoF score wont update even though I improved my score on 3-4 tables the last few days, im still on the same score and dropped a rank.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
does it matter what table? Sure you are connected to the wifi? I can't seem to repro this one. Is anyone not seeing this?

K

Korven

Sv: Observed Bugs in Twilight Zone (v1.7.0 BETA)

Yes im connected, all but one score registred to the leaderboards but the overall hof dont update. The one score that didnt register (BH) I still got the new hof points on bit lower scores get registerd on the leaderbord without giving me a new hofscore. Hope this makes sence.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts