Pacific pinball expo

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I find it kinda ironic though that the thing that killed video arcades is kinda the thing that did pinball in. All the sudden you started seeing these interactive games, games with motorcycles to ride or driving games that were all linked to each other. They had big footprints and they had mechanical aspects that required maintenance. Only redemption games (gives tickets to buy useless crap with) come along and are small, have a gameplay time of between 5 and 60 seconds max, and put crane machines to shame in terms of profitability. Go into a Chuck E Cheese and you'll find 98% of their games are redemption. And people lay the blame on consoles for killing the arcade. Yeah, right.

Actually, what you said does give creedence to the fact that consoles did kill the arcade. It's because consoles became so good at bringing the arcade quality game experience home that the games became big hulking interactive machines that could not be duplicated in your living room. The game manufacturers were still trying to get you out of the house. Unfortunately, games that big and interactive costs too much to make and therefore required a lot more than 1 quarter to play. Thus, fail.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Are you going to Pins and Needles? or to a collectors house? I met a guy there I had worked with a couple of years ago, and didn't know he had 25 tables in his house until it came up talking at the expo.

Gonna check out Pins and Needles. There's an OC Pinball league where they play at people's houses with that many machines, but for the life of me I can't even get a response outta them! Lemme in your club dammit!!

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
Gonna check out Pins and Needles. There's an OC Pinball league where they play at people's houses with that many machines, but for the life of me I can't even get a response outta them! Lemme in your club dammit!!

I think you'll dig Pins and Needles alot! And they have an "open to anyone and everyone" league for players of all experience. The owner is super nice, and she lets you BYOB, just as long as you keep your bottles off of the pinball tables. What more could you ask for...

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think you'll dig Pins and Needles alot! And they have an "open to anyone and everyone" league for players of all experience. The owner is super nice, and she lets you BYOB, just as long as you keep your bottles off of the pinball tables. What more could you ask for...

We'll see about that league. I'm not a fan of driving into Downtown L.A. at night, so right now I'm just curious about getting to the location and what the parking is like. I live in Orange County which is why I'd rather be a part of a league there. But I've heard nothing but good things about the place and the owner, so if anything I'm looking forward to going to a place where pinball is respected. Thinking of bringing my GoPro and setting it low on the glass while I play. Curious to see how long $20 will last me too. First time I went to PHOF in Vegas, it lasted me all day, but then they had all the machines set to $.25

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.