Pinball Arcade in 4K Resolution with new nvidia driver

Cuddlebuddie928

Feb 16, 2013
Are you getting utilization of your second card? There doesnt seem to be a profile for it in nvidia inspector.

I'm using SLI 16x AA via a manually created profile. GPU-Z reports almost 50% utilization of one card, and almost 60% of the other.

Last edited:

tizerist

Apr 17, 2013
Ok another comparison. I only have a GTX 460 so I had to turn antialiasing down in order to make this work (otherwise it slowed to a crawl) and as you can see here, the difference is kinda peachy. Not so much to my naked eye while playing on a 32" TV, but over time I may notice it a bit more.

With the trick, lowered settings:

Without the trick, max settings:

Thanks to the OP, this is good info.

EDIT: And guess what, if I use it on PFX2, it works without reducing settings! Bingo! Love it!

Last edited:

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
[MENTION=2360]tizerist[/MENTION]

Do you have post processing turned off in the first screen shot?

tizerist

Apr 17, 2013
I had PP always on, and AA on x2 and Texture Filtering on Linear for the first shot, but have now successfully gone to max on Texture Filtering. :)

Last edited:

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Why am I not getting a true 4x resolution option in the config? I enabled all options in DSR. I was running the primary display in portrait 720x1280. I should get an option for 1440x2560. That isn't one of the available resolutions in the drop down. I do get many resolution settings but none fit my display other than the original 720x1280. What am I doing wrong?

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Not sure what's going wrong there for you - these are my global driver panel settings and it's working:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo51e0h6v7h7560/dsr.jpg

Yes, my settings look similar. It's just that in TPA config utility, none of the resulting resolutions are multiples of 720x1280 so any I select result in a skewed display. I am running two monitors in a cab setup so I wonder if it is using multiples of the other display. I'll do some more experimenting because the results are smoother and it runs fine at max resolution - only skewed.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
Ok. I just did a quick check and it appears that the PC is not recognizing the correct native resolution of my display. I am using a generic 720p TV as my playfield display. The recommended display resolution in the Windows Screen Resolution utility is 1024x1280. It appears DSR is using multiples of that rather than the true 720p of the TV. Anybody know how to change that??

Edit: Figured out my problem. EDID was setting incorrect native resolution for the display. I had to edit the EDID and override. Now it works correctly. Unfortunately at any DSR resolution setting I notice a slight glitching when the ball is traveling the whole playfield. Not noticable on short rolls; just when rolling top to bottom. Still, that glitching ruins the realism so it doesn't look like I can use DSR, which is a shame because it sharpens up the image considerably.

Last edited:

Retron

Oct 31, 2013
Ok another comparison. I only have a GTX 460 so I had to turn antialiasing down in order to make this work (otherwise it slowed to a crawl) and as you can see here, the difference is kinda peachy. Not so much to my naked eye while playing on a 32" TV, but over time I may notice it a bit more.

With the trick, lowered settings:

Without the trick, max settings:

Thanks to the OP, this is good info.

EDIT: And guess what, if I use it on PFX2, it works without reducing settings! Bingo! Love it!
For reference, here's what it looks like running at 4K - actual 4K, as opposed to resized 4K! All settings were at max for this (cropped) screenshot:

2e2h0jm.jpg

The tables look good, but the UI is all over the place at 4K.

priested

Nov 7, 2013
I'm still getting a slight glitch occasionally at any resolution or setting. I don't understand why this is happening because if it wasn't for that, I would be using DSR no question. This glitch although not always noticable is a deal killer for me. Has anyone else experienced this or know what may be causing it?

lio

Jul 24, 2013
what kind of glitch are you refering to?

edit: nevermind, should have read your earlier post... never noticed anything like that on my setup.

tizerist

Apr 17, 2013
I am a bit confused. The DSR options in Nvidea Control Panel have disappeared for some reason. Anyone else got this?
edit: It came back this morning (?) Thanks Newt.

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I still see the option, but make sure you are in the Global Settings tab and not the Program Settings tab when in the NVIDIA Control Panel's Manage 3D Settings.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012

arnobarno

Feb 17, 2014
This made a really big difference for me. I'm running on a GTX645, 2.25x DSR and the play (ball movement really) is so much smoother. I'm shocked at the difference this made - can anyone explain why? 60fps before and after. I can't go to 3x or 4x without compromising framerate dramatically.

Thanks OP!

frodus

Jan 18, 2015
It runs SO much smoother on my machine..... GTX660 2GB, SC and a 4690K i5 and 8GB RAM with a SSD. Its night and day difference with both PBA and PBFX2. I'm running at 2.5x right now. I ran at full 4x and it looked pretty good, but haven't tested much since my desktop seemed super small at that point.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Interesting thread. I play at 2560x1440 and it looks amazing. Even on my old 560Ti card it ran fine.

Can't wait for the DX11 update.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts