Pinball Arcade in 4K Resolution with new nvidia driver

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
I'm on a GTX 460 and I'm running it @ 2.25x from a default of 1920x1080. That is as far as I can go without exceeding my cards 1GB of vram.

I am also playing with 8x Anti-Aliasing enabled despite initially believing it wasn't turned on.

I much prefer the way it looks/plays with DSR in use.

I believe the ball movement is smoother due to the fact the game is actually rendering in a much higher resolution and is then being downsampled to our monitors. So there is a larger number of pixels the ball can be drawn to before it is downsampled to our monitors native resolution. I believe this results in the movement of the ball being smoother.

Hopefully that makes sense? I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but, at the moment that escapes me.

Anyways, thanks a lot for the original post, this is a really nice development.

One final note:

At 2.25x the Vram on my 1GB card is so close to being exceeded that I can't play the game @ 2.25x if I don't turn off Desktop Window Manager service, aka, Windows Aero. Turning it off saves about 40-70mb of Vram.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I just got a 55" 4k screen and love it. My laptop can't output more than 1080p though. Next computer will be able to easily

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Am I right in assuming that this won't actually work in portrait mode at all because portrait mode forces your screen into a non-native resolution? I couldn't see any difference at all when I tried at least.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I just got a 55" 4k screen and love it. My laptop can't output more than 1080p though. Next computer will be able to easily

Which model you got?
Are 4k like fundamentaly different in terms of reaction time, game mode etc. Or basically same depending on model etc.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Just got a new computer with 12GB ram and AMD Radeon R7 a few weeks ago. It runs TPA at 1920x1080 flawlessly. Though I'm not too sure how it will work with DX11 or a 4K TV.

It's going to be awhile before I find out.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Which model you got?
Are 4k like fundamentaly different in terms of reaction time, game mode etc. Or basically same depending on model etc.
All inherent weaknesses in led/LCD screens will persist.

I have the lg 55ub8200 the 8300 is the 3d model, and does full 1080p passive 3d.

Now, I really do try to avoid the "defending my purchase" bias trap here.

First off this is a 55" 4K for 1299$ to 1499$ range. I'm moving from a 50" 720p plasma screen that I honestly loved. I officially don't, and have never cared about pure black levels so moving to an edge lit led (albeit with somewhat functional local dimming) was not an issue. There is some light bleed during scenes that are mostly black with white in them (think credits).

The input lag is measured at 53ms. This might be an issue for some. I haven't given much time in TPA but what little I had I didn't feel like my play was affected.

One game that does require low input lag is Super Smash Bros for Wii U. And I don't notice the lag, but I'm the farthest thing from a competitive player you could ever find.

The TV upscales everything to its native 2160p and does a wonderful job. HD netflix looks great. 4K shows on Netflix look great running through the tv's pre-installed app. Uncompressed BluRay movies look great ( I usually run bluray iso files through my laptop which negates that soap opera effect).

The built in YouTube app is garbage and doesn't stream higher than 720p. I am rather upset about this since there is in fact a lot of 4k content on YouTube, even if not professional productions. YouTube usually has very restrictive bit rate limits for video based on resolution anyway so basically native 1080p videos should really be watched at 720p and the 4k stuff looks nighty nice in 1080p though anything lacking much motion looks great. I used a video Downloader and stuck them on a hard drive to play through usb to get around the youtube app limit.

I downloaded some uncompressed 4k demo videos and they are gorgeous. My biggest complaint about LCD/led screens are that smeary loss of resolution due to motion. Honestly it is there, but I really have to be looking for it. If I'm just watching it's quite nice.

The Smart TV features on this are weak overall. If extensive smart tv features are extremely important to you then you will want to check out other options. If 3d is very important, you will want to look at the ub8300 instead.

For the price, it does get my recommendation. It has full HDMI 2.0 and hdcp 2.2 support so should be future proof. It also supports hvec h.265 encoding, however, I don't think I've managed to successfully play any vp9 (youtube 4k encoding, not the pinball software) files.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Which model you got?

4K monitors are getting better and better, and refresh rates are coming down all the time.

Likewise GPUs are catching up, with both better cards, and improved drivers.

That said - if you want to game in 4K, you're going to want a GTX780 or equiv as a minimum. Anything less struggles, though you may get away with a GTX770. Remember the card is essentially trying to render 4 1920x1080 screens. There some giveback because it's only 1 screen and not 4, but it's still a lot more work.

DornoDios

Dec 24, 2012
Am I right in assuming that this won't actually work in portrait mode at all because portrait mode forces your screen into a non-native resolution? I couldn't see any difference at all when I tried at least.

It works great in portrait mode, that is how I use it. I have a 1920x1080 monitor that I rotate to play the game on. I run it in 2.25x mode w/ 8x Anti-Aliasing and everything else turned on and I'm JUST able to get under 1GB of video memory.

The funky resolution it renders the game in doesn't matter to your monitor because the image is then downscaled to your monitors native resolution, whatever that may be.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
All inherent weaknesses in led/LCD screens will persist.

I have the lg 55ub8200 the 8300 is the 3d model, and does full 1080p passive 3d.

Thanks for the full review. My led is just 4 years old and was of the more expensive type. I will stick to it until there is more 4kvcontent. In Europe there's even less. Really don't want to upgrade just for games yet.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Thanks for the full review. My led is just 4 years old and was of the more expensive type. I will stick to it until there is more 4kvcontent. In Europe there's even less. Really don't want to upgrade just for games yet.
Don't blame you, my plasma has a huge crack in the glass covering the screen (not the screen itself thankfully) and the remote sensor is starting to act up on me. I was replacing it regardless and just wanted some future proofing.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts