Pinball Expo

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks, Crawley. Your update is greatly appreciated. Good to know someone from this forum was able to attend the conference. Hoping for even more exciting news when the Game/Vendor hall opens :)

mudtoe

Sep 21, 2012
There has been other some exciting news today from Planetary Pinball via Expo 2013, or so I've read around the internet.

ECsWMNk.jpg

karl

May 10, 2012
I am glad for the ones looking for MM and the price for one used is way to high at the moment, so good for them, but there is also a dark side to this. (if they keep making more games like this after MM) A new Stern Game with premiums, LE and pro versions probably sell around 3000 copies at best. Jersey Jack, maybe 2 000. If people are gonna fork out for 1000 copies of old/new games every year, it will probably hurt Stern and JJ. in the long run and that is bad news for pinball. Just a thought.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Think that was about it. Did not see the game running on the VirualPin yet as the Game/Vendor hall is closed for the next few hours but will be back there when it opens later.

I went through the entire vendor hall on Thursday and didn't see this. Where is it set up? I'll be back to the vendor hall tomorrow.

Boggystyle

Jul 2, 2012
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. I'm really looking forward to getting to play some real machines; it's slim pickings around here for that. It will be interesting to see how much more I suck in real life than on TPA :)

Boggystyle

Jul 2, 2012
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon, just look for the fat guy in the "Free Willy" T-shirt, lol. I'm really looking forward to getting to play some real machines; it's slim pickings around here for that. It will be interesting to see how much more I suck in real life than on TPA :)

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Excellent stuff and a separate display for the DMD. Anyone know if it's a real DMD using PinDMD?

Adding URL:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=640281392659591

They said on Facebook that it's a real DMD.

EDIT: And and just today on this very forum:

I got the d&d working with pin DMD. Also hooked up plunger kit and Shake nudge. Although ST:TNG doesn't really show off the plunger, it should work on other tables. This won't be ready for PC launch, I had to do some hacks to get one table working, since I didn't have much time to get it working. It was also a bit hard to setup without the cabinet here to test how it looked. That'll be changing really soon.

The guys at virtual pin and pinDMD were really helpful in getting this up so quickly.

Last edited:

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
STERN Meet in a Nutshell:

1) Pinball has been around a long time.
2) 3 kinds of buyers are operators, enthusiasts and 45-50 year old guys who want a game in their man cave.
3) In Holland, people pour $800 a week into the average game at "coffeehouses" (AKA: Bars.)
4) Pinball should be easy for casual players and difficult enough for enthusiasts.
5) Biggest competition to pinball is the smart phone.
6) There is more wire in a pinball machine than in a car.
7) We need more games that are easy to play, but hard to master.

The end. Questions and answers and no one asked about Star Trek LE. Sheesh. That
was boring!...

It's boring, boring, very very boring... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVF77-FEr9Q

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks for the heads up Captain. Nothing on the next Stern game, any rereleases, or even a look at the lasers on Start Trek LE? I don't think I'll even bother watching that. :(

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Farsight had a PS4 at their booth showing off the tables with the new lighting. Very impressive as it really brought the tables to life. For instance on the Attack from Mars the lights on the saucer actually light up and cycle around the saucer - that silly effect really added a bit of character to that table. And when the ball would enter the area of the saucer the ball color would change red due to all the lights around it. Tales of the Arabian Knights was one of the best looking tables in both light show and overall sharpness of the table. I think that table will impress a lot of people if its given away free. I also thought Scared Stiff lighting looked fantastic as it was such a dark table.

Apparently what they were showing wasn't the latest build so it can only get better. Was told the lighting update for the PC version is expected somewhat soon after release (I think they mean PS4 release). It's unknown how many tables will be available at launch for PS4. Not all of them were available for play in this build - but it had all of Season 1 in it and possibly Dr Dude/Firepower. Nothing more recent than that.

They wouldn't spill any beans about games they purchased. Only minor nugget of info was they purchased a Gottlieb table that was almost impossible to find in the US - more common in Europe. But got lucky with a single person in the States selling one.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, if they're expecting to release the next table pack on Android/iOS next week you'd think that there'd be a beta release on PC or Android by now.

Then again, once the kinks of Gottlieb SS emulation are nailed down there should only be minimal testing needed.

Pinhead45

Dec 30, 2012
I think I may have counted 30 tables on the PS4 version they had at expo. I noticed there was no Haunted House pack. The big difference i got out of it was the enhanced lighting. Looked sort of like what alot of the VP mods look like with the flashing lights. The difference appeared to be darker places in the playfield versus like on VP where they darken an entire pf. Black Hole was really nice, I had to complement them on that. The lower playfield is almost three dimensional. It didn't lag at all on the version I played. I've been having lag issues on the PS3 version. They're version of the PS3 was completely lag free. I couldn't believe how fluid it played. It guess it all depends on the TV, they were using a Samsung TV for the PS3 and a Sony TV for the PS4, both were LCD's. I bought a Samsung TV myself and the problem seems to have disappeared, so I'm happy about that. Overall it was a nice presentation.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts