Pinball owners thread

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'll throw this out here and see what the response is.

I've always wanted to own a pinball table, but that's the extent I've put into getting one. I have no knowledge of how to shop a table, though there is a place somewhat near me that does refurbishing. My fave tables are from Williams/Bally from '87-'97 with a few exceptions from the early 80's. No way can I afford those.

So my question is, for you who have actually owned tables, are there 'gateway' tables with which I could get in cheaply (say $400-$500) and learn a thing or two about maintenance and such? Or is it a situation where it's just better to buy into the era I like and not waste my time with something else? Problem being, I think the cheapest I could even sneak into that for would be $950+ (if I'm lucky).

Anyways, just curious.

Pinballer

Jun 27, 2012

I've always wanted to own a pinball table, but that's the extent I've put into getting one. I have no knowledge of how to shop a table, though there is a place somewhat near me that does refurbishing. My fave tables are from Williams/Bally from '87-'97 with a few exceptions from the early 80's. No way can I afford those.

So my question is, for you who have actually owned tables, are there 'gateway' tables with which I could get in cheaply (say $400-$500) and learn a thing or two about maintenance and such? Or is it a situation where it's just better to buy into the era I like and not waste my time with something else? Problem being, I think the cheapest I could even sneak into that for would be $950+ (if I'm lucky).

Anyways, just curious.

Hiya Shutyatrap

Not sure what the current market for pins in in the US but you would be very lucky to get anything decent in the uk for $1000 (£650) gone are the days of getting a top quality TZ for £400 like I did. However that aside don't let maintenance put you off! My 1st pin was FH and Rudy was forever causing me downtime but it's amazing how community can help and actually working on them turns out to be a big part of the fun. The on board diagnostics usually point you in the direction of the problem and 9 times out of 10 its tweak a switch here or solder a wire there so they are actually really easy to work on and most problems are easy to fix. As for shopping just take lots of pics when stripping down, wash all the plastics foam clean the playfield and just get some decent playfield wax to restore the shine, protect it and keep it playing fast.

Best advice I can give is pick up something simple to maintain like Getaway or T2 these will hone your skills and give you a better understanding of what really goes into a pin. But BEWARE! I started with 1 and ended up with over 30 they are bloody addictive lol.
I sold both these very same pins GA & T2 to a couple of mates for £400 a piece, one now has 6 pins and the other sold the T2 for double the money only a year after. The moral of the story? You will never lose out if you are wise in your purchase and what's better in today's market watching your bank balance pitifully increase at a minuscule rate or having a wonderfully eye candy marvel to look at and play on a daily basis. I know where my money's better off.

Ooops I'm waffling on again sorry :p

Jay

May 19, 2012

Keep tabs on the Mr. Pinball classifieds. eBay and Craigslist can sometimes offer good finds near you. Get a machine you can afford that needs a little work and start tinkering with it. You'll get a sense really quickly if it's a hobby that you'll enjoy or will find maddeningly tedious. And just ask around your neighborhood. You'd be surprised what others might have lurking in their basement. I was offered a machine for free by my brother-in-law's friend, but I had no room for it. Keep hunting and you'll find one.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Jay;13928And just ask around your neighborhood. You'd be surprised what others might have lurking in their basement.[/QUOTE said:
See, here's where living in SoCal bites. No basements = no game rooms. Growing up I didn't know a single person with a machine, but plenty with pool tables or ping pong.

I've recently been looking at eBay and Craigslist, but so far nothing remotely in my price range. It's not like I'm in a hurry to get anything, so I'll just try and keep my eyes peeled. I think the cheapest for something I'd actually want was a Rollergames table for $950. Ouch. Wish I could do what those dudes on 'Barter Kings' do, cause I've got a fooseball table and a Soloflex that would be good starting points for trades...

EGRyan

Jul 6, 2012
I've got a Taxi (Marilyn version) that I've had since about the mid 1990s. I paid about $800 for it. It's been very reliable and the only problem I've had was a burned out bumper driver transistor. I also made sure to re-locate the memory battery holder from the main circuit board to a remote location just in case the batteries leak.

Still plays great and, although it doesn't get a lot of use these days, I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Would like to get more machines, but they seem quite expensive now!

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I got a Zaccaria StarGod, which I bought for the cabinet only to convert it to a vPin. Yet it was so pretty I simply couldn't tear it apart. I just got myself a Taxi from the nederlands, which will hopefully arrive tommorow. one machine is just not enough :)

I was also restoring an Atlantis, which I got from my local pinball-club and I really love it. I'm more into pe-DMD machines I guess, as funhouse is still my favorite ;-)

karl

May 10, 2012
This thread somehow escaped me also. I have a White Water and I bought an Indiana Jones (wms) that I will get in 7 days. I am currently twisting my brain to find the space in my small apartment for a nr. 3 (high on my want list: TNG or TZ)

Ken_Clark

Dec 28, 2012
I started with a Jungle Queen which I purchased in a garage sale for 150.00 back in early 90's...then after the addiction, added Diner, Addams Family & Funhouse. Had a Earthshaker for about a week till a friend bought it off me!

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013
I don't own any tables, but if I could get my hands on one, it would be Cirqus Voltaire. I just hope that I can afford one in the near future. It's probably up at around a couple thousand, am I right?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.