Plateaus and Breakthroughs

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I recently just went through a very long plateau period where I just didn't feel like I was getting any better at TPA or IRL pinball. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Then, all of sudden, I started smashing all my scores almost overnight. I don't know what changed, but it's probably various subtle things (they really add up). My TPA, Zen and IRL scores have been going up and up, significantly.

Now don't get me wrong, I still have a lot of inconsistent play and bad days, but my highs are much higher. I guess what I'm saying is that you just have to keep at it!

One thing I noticed is that extended play sessions are usually NOT a good thing. After awhile your brain turns to mush, you lose focus and you start playing sloppy out of frustration. This is true of practicing anything. You gotta take breaks. Consistent, frequent practice with purpose is more important than long sessions.

Another thing, for me anyway, is that sometimes it helps to actually stop playing completely for awhile. You come back refreshed and you'd be surprised that your play is stronger than it was when you went on hiatus.

TPA has really helped my real-life pinball game. In addition to learning tables, you really train your eyes to keep up with the ball and learn to anticipate ball action.

I just felt like making this thread after getting 2.1B in Judge Dredd in TPA on my first attempt today. That's really good for me and obliterates my previous HS. Don't get stuck in a rut!

gordonabrown

May 3, 2016
I'm an (I think) above average TPA player but a very average real-life pinball player and the one thing I have to constantly remind myself is to have patience: BREATHE. The moment I get caught up and start to flip on the fly I'm bound to sewer. I certainly have noticed my real-life play become better since I've started playing more (duh!)

Annorax

Feb 2, 2013
One thing I noticed is that extended play sessions are usually NOT a good thing. After awhile your brain turns to mush, you lose focus and you start playing sloppy out of frustration. This is true of practicing anything. You gotta take breaks. Consistent, frequent practice with purpose is more important than long sessions.

This, x1000. The insanely high scores I post occasionally (like 25B on Judge Dredd) are usually week-long games played in half hour or so increments. The whole game doesn't have to be in one sitting on platforms like iOS... just make sure app auto-update is off so that your game doesn't get ended in a TPA update. I lost a 22B game on NGG that way :/

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts