Playing on IPad MINI (1st gen 16GB) since release, graphics better on newest IPAD?!??

Damon0306

Aug 10, 2013
Hello, I've been playing Pinball arcade since its release on IOS in my first generation IPad mini.

If I were to purchase the newest model large size IPad, strictly for Pinball arcade, would I be wasting my money?

Are the graphics any better on a new model? Obviously I would have a bigger screen, IPad mini is kinda small.

I was also considering investing in a PS4 Pro and a medium size flat screen TV, again just for Pinball Arcade.

I know PC is king, but I don't want to go that route. Thanks!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I haven't played on an iPad mini, but I do have a kindle. It's much more fun, and a bit easier playing on the bigger screen of an iPad than the kindle. I just ordered an iPad Air 2 last week to upgrade from my iPad 4.
I'm not even sure if you 1st gen iPad mini would even run Stern Pinball Arcade when it comes out. I assume the hardware requirements might be a little heavier than The Pinball Arcade currently is.
The good thing is, if you do go to a 10" iPad, you won't have to rebuy everything again.
But if it is worth it is a personal decision that you will have to make.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I just bought the iPad Air 2 to replace the iPad mini 1. Came in Friday haven't had a lot of time with it. Most definitely upgrade I'm glad I did. Like Kolchak357 said if you plan on adding the Stern PA it will be good to have.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I just bought the iPad Air 2 to replace the iPad mini 1. Came in Friday haven't had a lot of time with it. Most definitely upgrade I'm glad I did. Like Kolchak357 said if you plan on adding the Stern PA it will be good to have.

you are lucky i like you

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
Hello, I've been playing Pinball arcade since its release on IOS in my first generation IPad mini.

If I were to purchase the newest model large size IPad, strictly for Pinball arcade, would I be wasting my money?

Are the graphics any better on a new model? Obviously I would have a bigger screen, IPad mini is kinda small.

I was also considering investing in a PS4 Pro and a medium size flat screen TV, again just for Pinball Arcade.

I know PC is king, but I don't want to go that route. Thanks!

I actually purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 specifically to play Pinball Arcade. It was awesome to play on since the screen is huge and you are immersed in the game. It also has 4 stereo speakers which sound very good. Unfortunately I ran into a problem with it. Often times when I was in the middle of a game it would freeze up and the "resume in 3, 2, 1" countdown would come up. It seemed to occur when the game was very active, such as with multiball, when I was pressing the screen repeatedly and quickly. It was as if the iPad became overwhelmed and couldn't handle all the info. This bug happened only intermittently but affected the flow and enjoyment of the game. I think other people ran into the same issue. This apparently only occurs with the 12.9 iPad Pro. The larger iPad is somewhat heavy but I didn't find that to be troublesome as I usually laid it in my lap or across my legs while sitting on a chair.

I also have the 9.7 iPad Pro which I use all the time for TPA now and that bug has never occurred once on it. It is excellent for TPA and my preferred way to play currently.

If you want to risk buying the 12.9 model you may want to consider purchasing it directly from Apple. I think you have a week or two to try it and if you don't like it you can return it at no charge, if they still do that.

I wouldn't purchase a PS4. The iPad is better in my opinion. Using your thumbs to touch the screen instead of a controller to activate the flippers feels more like pinball.

Finally the rumor is that Apple will be releasing new iPad models in March, including an iPad Pro 2. Possibly with an OLED screen, and maybe a 10.5 inch model with no bezel. Either one of the new models or the current 9.7 iPad Pro (which is terrific) would be my recommendation. You will notice a big difference compared to playing on the iPad mini!

Damon0306

Aug 10, 2013
Thank you very much for the very informative info on the IPads. I just recently tried out Pinball Arcade on a first gen IPad Air and it was a LOT nicer then my first gen IPad mini. Besides the larger screen the game seemed to flow much smoother and was just overall much more enjoyable..

I am glad to hear that the bug you mentioned is only on the larger 12.9 Pro, because I am only interested in the smaller 9.7 Pro.

Here's the real question, I'm not a power user, all I do on my IPad is listen to satellite radio, email, browse the web.

I wonder how much of a difference there would be playing pinball arcade on a IPad Air 2, or the latest Pro. That's were I'm at.

I really cannot afford the latest Pro, and if there really wouldn't be a difference I would like to get the Air 2.

I understand maybe higher end games would benefit from the Pro, but I have no plans on playing anything more then Pinball Arcade.

Garycope

Nov 5, 2013
I just bought an iPad Air 2 32 gig for $269 at Best Buy on Black Friday to replace my iPad mini 2. I love the Air 2 it's fast nice screen and it will last a few years. Remember your first gen iPad mini doesn't have Retina display so the Air 2 will be a nice upgrade. Also them Air 2 speakers are much louder than the mini's. I think you will be happy you upgraded.

JJHLH

Mar 7, 2016
Thank you very much for the very informative info on the IPads. I just recently tried out Pinball Arcade on a first gen IPad Air and it was a LOT nicer then my first gen IPad mini. Besides the larger screen the game seemed to flow much smoother and was just overall much more enjoyable..

I am glad to hear that the bug you mentioned is only on the larger 12.9 Pro, because I am only interested in the smaller 9.7 Pro.

Here's the real question, I'm not a power user, all I do on my IPad is listen to satellite radio, email, browse the web.

I wonder how much of a difference there would be playing pinball arcade on a IPad Air 2, or the latest Pro. That's were I'm at.

I really cannot afford the latest Pro, and if there really wouldn't be a difference I would like to get the Air 2.

I understand maybe higher end games would benefit from the Pro, but I have no plans on playing anything more then Pinball Arcade.

I don't think there is a huge difference between the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Pro 9.7. Same screen size and resolution, which are the critical things. The iPad Pro 9.7 has a faster chipset, a better color gamut (it can display a wider range of colors), and stereo speakers, which are nice but not mandatory. You should be more than happy with the iPad Air 2. Enjoy playing TPA on it, it's a blast!

Oh and by the way, you may want to try playing in landscape mode. I did that recently and I think I prefer it to portrait mode, but it's close. See what you prefer.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts