Proposed PS4 Retail Release Discussion

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
Yeah I miss the days of reading/looking at them on the way home from buying a game at a store.

I can relate, but being on holiday last week there is nothing like getting two new pinball tables directly to your device via wifi in the pub for less than the price of a pint!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
All discs will scratch.... unless you treat them with care.

I have over 2,000 movie & game discs and not a single scratch on any of them.
"on your face or in the case"... Oops.. wrong saying, but you get the idea. :p

Anyway, I prefer disc based releases for most games, but to be honest I think TPA makes more sense as a digital medium.
Sometimes I just want to play a couple games of pinball between other disc based games, and I like being able to drop out of the
current game and start a round of pinball from the XMB.

Though if Farsight does release a disc with all current tables with extras such as in depth videos on how they make the tables or even
something as simple as the "WPHOF guy" reading the game instructions (Hey, I'm lazy).. I'd probably buy it.

And if you are really worried about scratching optical discs... USE PROTECTION!
v1213836a_d.jpg

I have these on my old Kodak Photo-CD's from 1990-92 and I really want them to last.

Last edited:

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
yes it would be nifty but-
Piracy, cost, liscence terms all point to an obvious answer.
Potential solution, offer manuals in download friendly formats. Use the platforms storage utilities to export data necessary.
In the long run though , assuming the project is at end of life status, a significant amount of effort would have to be paid in full up front.
Anyhow, good thought nonetheless.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
But how much would a physical disc cost?

As of now it would need to include licenses for:

Twilight Zone. Star Trek. Monster Bash. Creature. Elvira. Scared Stiff. Harley Davidson. Ripleys. Terminator.

If they did do it, I'd expect all of these to remain DLC. Renegotiating a contract to do a disc release for everything else might be feasible, but not for these.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
the only games that can get away with $100 special editions are the Halos and Bioshocks of the world. Making a special edition of a digital game that has been out for over a year... that's suicide. Also, even special editions of the aforemented don't get 100,00 copies. A physical release might happen (it is in certain regions), but a collector's edition isn't going to happen.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That appears to be a UK/EU release only, unless it can be confirmed as otherwise.

Since Sony has already said that there will be digital download releases of all PS4 games, I guess this I suppose this publisher is just gambling that there are still enough people there without decent online access that would buy a disc-based version.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Since Sony has already said that there will be digital download releases of all PS4 games, I guess this I suppose this publisher is just gambling that there are still enough people there without decent online access that would buy a disc-based version.

Some people. myself included, just like having it on the shelf. But I don't think I'd buy a disc version of TPA as it means that I'd need to insert the disc every time, when the majority of the content will (eventually) be downloaded.

When I think about it, 22 tables probably means Season 1. So it will have TZ and STTNG, in terms of licensed tables.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
When asked about this on their Facebook page yesterday, they said

The Pinball Arcade Stay tuned for official word, we have no statement at this time.

which I suppose means that some of the details are still being worked out with System 3 and/or Sony.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Hm if System 3 actually has software testers this could be Farsight's most stable release since practically the beginning of TPA.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.