PS3 input lag issue

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Just curious since you didn't mention it, if you're using the Game Mode on your TV? I have a Sony TV too, and it doesn't completely eliminate the lag, but it almost does (plus it also helps to disable all the other image processing stuff too).

I'm hoping Farsight is doing something about ths because it really shouldn't be this bad.

For now, I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor, and it seems better, although still not as snappy as it could and should be.

Last edited:

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
I'm scoring just ok on the ps3 version but I'm having to definitely shoot early. Very tough because I love the lighting and the ability to control my nudging. I was showing my friend by holding up the controller in front of the screen and tapping the flipper. You could see that my finger was totally off the button by the time the flipper moved on screen. I'm enjoying it completely on iOS but ideally I would love the ps3 version to play with the snappiness of the ipad2

Grandizer

May 11, 2012
I have a Sharp Aquos that was featured at one of the E3 events ( LC37GP1U) for the PS3 a few years back. It has a Vyper Drive circuit for one of the HDMI, Component and composite.There is no game mode and all settings are enabled as with normal tv viewing. I play shooters on this flawlessly and Guitar Hero calibration comes up as zero ms lag. I do see that there is a slight spongy feel to the flipper reaction, like when you play on a table where the flippers are going weak. Seems I have to react faster than what I should to compensate, but I do compare this to Zen Pinball/Marvel Pinball where the feel of the flippers is snappy and immediate.

I'm wondering if this is what people are experiencing.

Last edited:

acw-nf

May 17, 2012
Maybe I'm totally off-base and your flipper lag issues are indeed due to video input issues - but something strange happened to me this week - I had been experiencing that same feeling you have been describing - that my flippers aren't reacting as quickly as i'm pressing them, or had a "spongy" feeling to them. Something definitely felt slightly off. A friend of mine described them as "slippery flippers". Then I noticed he was really mashing into the L1/R1 flipper buttons with his fingers.

So instead of having my index fingers laid across the buttons, I've been using my fingertips - and most importantly, never mashing the buttons. Now I'm finding the flippers sensitive, responsive and accurate. I doubled my high score on every table. I even dropped the no. 4 weekly score on Black Hole, a game that was absolutely annihilating me up until then. Suddenly the game has gone from great to awesome.

Could it be possible that your lag woes are a controller issue rather than a video issue? The DualShock3 buttons are pressure-sensitive and generally don't seem to respond well to very hard, quick pressing (like in a heated multiball, for example)...just a thought.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
We at europe dont experience any button lag, we just got psn delay.

Different problem, but when their is lag, i cant be bothered buying this anymore. It would be useless, so have to go ipad only.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
We at europe dont experience any button lag, we just got psn delay.

Different problem, but when their is lag, i cant be bothered buying this anymore. It would be useless, so have to go ipad only.
I don't understand this mindset at all. European releases are delayed compared to US ones all the time - do people in Europe refuse to buy games because they're delayed? If so, why? What sense does it make?

Tabe

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Those of us that are exclusively (or primarily) PC based have NOTHING from FarSight yet.

That certainly doesn't mean I won't buy the tables when they are finally released.

It's at least a step up from the people that want everything for free, just not much of one.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I don't understand this mindset at all. European releases are delayed compared to US ones all the time - do people in Europe refuse to buy games because they're delayed? If so, why? What sense does it make?

Tabe

You misunderstood me.

If there is buttonlag, i wont buy. I dont care psn delay, but off course, i cant wait to see it.

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Just curious since you didn't mention it, if you're using the Game Mode on your TV? I have a Sony TV too, and it doesn't completely eliminate the lag, but it almost does (plus it also helps to disable all the other image processing stuff too).

I'm hoping Farsight is doing something about ths because it really shouldn't be this bad.

For now, I have my PS3 hooked up to my PC monitor, and it seems better, although still not as snappy as it could and should be.

Do you run your cables HDMI ? I was thinking about getting some cables, but i would have to get cables that run HDMI to DVI (my monitor does not support HDMI input).

I would need something like this :
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4662531&Sku=U12-40612&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
When people talk about delay, I wonder if flipper response doesn't have something to do with it. IMO, TotAN has *terrible* flippers...they are slow and don't seem to respond as quickly as I'd like. But in contrast, Ripley's flippers are crisp and quick and very controllable.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Do you run your cables HDMI ? I was thinking about getting some cables, but i would have to get cables that run HDMI to DVI (my monitor does not support HDMI input).

I would need something like this :
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4662531&Sku=U12-40612&csid=ITD&recordsPerPage=10&body=REVIEWS#CustomerReviewsBlock

I just runa simple hdmi to DVI converter, no issues, no lag (which I do on my TV in game mode and all postprocessing off).

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
OK, my apologies for misunderstanding. I can certainly understand why you would choose to not buy if there is button lag.

Tabe

Agreed!

So many folks have thrown fits and have made such unreasonable demands, I guess I thought your issue was similar.
Since the topic was input lag, I misunderstood your comments as well.

I also apologize for misunderstanding you.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
No problem mates, my English is probably not crystalclear, ;-).

But i am so hoping that there will be zero lag. But i was planning to buy it for Ipad too, so, i willl be playing this anyway, but for the nights with mates, and maybe for myself too i would love to have a great psn version too.

And maybe they have some lag now, dont know, its not out yet over here, but i am sure they will fix that.

Ive been ''in'' the software business long enough to see what kind of developer this is. They wont let us down my pinball friends, i am pretty sure about it.

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
So instead of having my index fingers laid across the buttons, I've been using my fingertips - and most importantly, never mashing the buttons

Great advise - I have tried it and it's suddenly much better! I wonder why it's no problem at all in other games. Now I wish I had more time to play virtual pinball... :D

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Go retro! Use a cord! All the cool kids are doing it.

I just registered to put my 2 cents in.

As a long time player of the PHOF ps3 edition with some serious time on the game (one time Williams Challenge leader now 11th...yeah, great decision to let tilt off play count on leader boards Farsight...mumble mumble idiots) I KNOW the previous game was terrible on standard controllers using bluetooth to connect. However when plugged in with a USB cord the lag vanishes like a 10 billion point TOM score.

I notice the same lag when not hardwired on the new game, not quite as bad, but since I never play like that its not an issue. Of course some of the lag could be your TV, my DLP does not add any lag to any of my games, it was one of the reasons I ditched a fairly high end LCD last year but even with the LCD lag I could play fine plugged in.

Maybe its a deal breaker for some people, but buying a 10 foot usb cord or extender is a small price to pay to be lag free.

Bahnzo

Apr 18, 2012
I KNOW the previous game was terrible on standard controllers using bluetooth to connect. However when plugged in with a USB cord the lag vanishes like a 10 billion point TOM score.

I was under the impression the PS3 controller is always bluetooth regardless of whether it's plugged in or not. The cord is only for charging purposes. I could be wrong about this, but a couple years back I did some research about reducing lag and this is what I read over and over.

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
I will try it tonight with the cord plugged in. I think i may have read the same thing as Bahnzo though. I love being able to control my nudging on the ps3 and it looks incredible but I have been sticking to the iOS version. I've done everything I could regarding settings but whatever is causing it, I still can't properly judge my shots and it kills the fun. Hoping they can do something about it but it sounds like everyone is having different experiences and it may be somewhere in people's different combinations of hardware? If that's the case, I'm not sure what farsight could even do.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.