PS3 input lag issue

DooMStalK

Jul 2, 2012
The generic cables are HDMI certified as well.

No they aren't. They are HDMI cables, but certified cables is a whole different thing. It is a technical process to ensure that a cable mets standards "x y or z".

By your definition, I just need to go and buy any generic HDMI cable to get a certified 1.4 or a category 2 1.3 standard cable, which is not true. It may not even be certified as a category 1 1.3 cable.

Please take a look here - http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#48

And here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI for correct definition of HDMI standards and certification.

Cheers,

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Whatever. I'll keep buying my certified HDMI cables for $1 each and you keep buying whatever you want to buy. Cheers!

No they aren't. They are HDMI cables, but certified cables is a whole different thing. It is a technical process to ensure that a cable mets standards "x y or z".

By your definition, I just need to go and buy any generic HDMI cable to get a certified 1.4 or a category 2 1.3 standard cable, which is not true. It may not even be certified as a category 1 1.3 cable.

Please take a look here - http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#48

And here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI for correct definition of HDMI standards and certification.

Cheers,

Eric Qel-Droma

Jul 3, 2012
I hauled out my old PS wired-controller-to-PS3-adapter and plugged in a PSOne controller. I felt like there MIGHT still be some lag, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad with that controller. USB-wiring the PS3 controllers in doesn't seem to do any good for me.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Whatever. I'll keep buying my certified HDMI cables for $1 each and you keep buying whatever you want to buy. Cheers!

Exactly!

Different certification levels mean different features...

Since the signal IS digital, these features will work.. or not work.

Certification simply means that they are guaranteed to.

You can buy a lot of $1 - $5 cables finding a source that works cheaper than getting a $20 to $60 certified cable.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I bought the TPA on 360 first so that's my primary version, but because I wanted a taste of the first 2 DLC packs before they finally make it to 360, I got the PS3 Demo, and then put my Samsung LCD TV on GAME MODE as someone previously mentioned, and it DID defeat the lag. So, I recommend anyone, at least with a Samsung LCD TV, should try it.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Exactly!

Different certification levels mean different features...

Since the signal IS digital, these features will work.. or not work.

Certification simply means that they are guaranteed to.

You can buy a lot of $1 - $5 cables finding a source that works cheaper than getting a $20 to $60 certified cable.

And if you go to monoprice.com, they actually tell you what class HDMI cable it is you're buying, and they're still dirt cheap as opposed to the $75 for a 10 foot run your local big box store will charge.

I will say this for Monster Cable, the cables are soft and bendable, not necessarily thick. But 10 seconds after I've plugged in and I'm siting on my couch, I couldn't care less about that. It works or it doesn't, that's all. I still believe in buying quality speaker cable, and as a user of component and optical inputs, there is something to be said for the more expensive of those. But HDMI? Price gouging, that's all that's going on.

Groni

Jul 19, 2012
i dont believe that plugging the ps3 with the usb cable is doing antyhing else besides charging the battery... u should try a wired controller, not pluggin in a wireless one

Of course it does. I have a non Sony Controller I am using for my Pinball Controller. I completley removed the Battery and only plug it via USB to the ps3. Since I did that, I didn´t had a single lag.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Seems we have some sort of breakthrough on the lag-front:

comment on Facebook
Currently, there is a slight lag on the PS3 version that does not exist on the 360 version. On the next PS3 update, there will no longer be this lag (deferred rendering delay) when the game is played at 720p. At 1080p, there will still be a 1/60 of a second delay required for us to render the additional lighting effects. This all said, you do need to have your display/input settings correct or there will be a lag depending on the type of TV you're displaying on. We're not in control of this.

I wonder if this 1080p lag will be introduced to 360 as well with the optional update for lighting on core tables, and the DLC with updated lighting? Also, if lighting is the issue, why would going down to 720p after a new update resolve this?

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Good to hear. So if it will be 1/60 of second delay at 1080p after the update, I wonder what it is now according to their measurements? For those experiencing lag now, does playing in 720p help at all? I don't have lag, so I can't tell a difference with either setting.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Good to hear. So if it will be 1/60 of second delay at 1080p after the update I wonder what it is now according to their measurements?
I hope someone from Farsight can comment on that. I'd like to know if in 1080p the lag will go down or stay the same.

For those experiencing lag now, does playing in 720p help at all? I don't have lag, so I can't tell a difference with either setting.
No 720p currently does nothing for me on the TV. Except it makes the textures blurry and unreadable.

And I wonder how this will compare to the 360 once it gets a lighting update.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
It won't make a difference what cables you use or what TV you use. The PS3 is often plagued with input lag issues. Anyone that plays BF3 on PS3 knows what I'm talking about. The developers will often blame your TV, but if you try the game on 360 it works perfectly. I don't know much about game coding, but it's pretty obvious it has something to do with the game itself and absolutely nothing to do with our TV's or controllers ....... I hate input lag even more than the messed up flipper gap in CV.

Last edited:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
street fighter 4 (arcade edition v2012) also suffers from input lag on ps3... thats why all the japan fighting elite are playing it on xbox live... i mean besides the first choice -> the arcades, duh :)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just tried 3 different HDTVs with 3 different HDMI cables in all the HDMI inputs NO LAG but I did notice on all 3 TVs with all 3 cables that HDMI 1 looked better. On 1 tv HDMI input #2 was dark and lacked color and on another HDMI #2 seemed blurry. Anybody who has a lag issue are you signed in to PSN? If so try disconnecting from internet? I dunno I guess Id have to see this LAG.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I just tried 3 different HDTVs with 3 different HDMI cables in all the HDMI inputs NO LAG but I did notice on all 3 TVs with all 3 cables that HDMI 1 looked better. On 1 tv HDMI input #2 was dark and lacked color and on another HDMI #2 seemed blurry. Anybody who has a lag issue are you signed in to PSN? If so try disconnecting from internet? I dunno I guess Id have to see this LAG.

Farsight already confirmed this (render lag) will be fixed in a future update, so no need to look at our local setups (other than making sure your tv is in Game Mode).

RhodyDave

Sep 4, 2012
Hi - just downloaded and purchased all available content for the game, which I love. The lag is a problem though, even with making adjustments in my timing as I shoot. I've read through most of this thread and as I understand it, there's going to be an update from Farsight to correct this.

Does anyone know when the update will be released?

And does setting my TV (Bravia 42") to game mode really affect lag issues? What does game mode actually do?

Thanks

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Update 2.1 (or point something) just downloaded on my PS3, but other than trophies for dlc, I don't know what else it did.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Hi - just downloaded and purchased all available content for the game, which I love. The lag is a problem though, even with making adjustments in my timing as I shoot. I've read through most of this thread and as I understand it, there's going to be an update from Farsight to correct this.

Does anyone know when the update will be released?

And does setting my TV (Bravia 42") to game mode really affect lag issues? What does game mode actually do?

Thanks

Game mode removes much of the tv processing allowing for less time that the tv takes to display the picture. It might help some. There is something else going on that Farsight needs to fix. But it might make the lag less enough to be fun to play.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts