PS3 (NA) Version 2.08 And 2.09 Feedback And Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
But why bring it out in the state as it is now in the first place? :confused: I certainly could have lived with the old UI for a little while longer, there was no need for a rush.

Keep in mind that they've had this UI in place for quite awhile (the update was submitted to Sony several weeks ago).

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
whenever there's a new update I always see posts like "It's great. I scored better now" or "Wonderful update! I can get multiball now" and I just shake my head... 1. maybe you are just doing better? 2. the update being good is not dependent on you scoring better.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
OK time to say something nice about the update..
Anyone else notice how much better Elvira and the Party Monsters looks with this update?!?

I don't know exactly what they changed, but it looks drastically different and improved.

I'll try and list what i think changed:

The ramps look like they have more shading to them.
The Boogie Men look better.
The in lanes have transparent covers on them now.
There is a translucent plastic in front of the Boogie Men.
The color and contrast are improved.

There are still a couple problems though. I don't know if these are new or just stick out now that everything else looks better.

1. "The Monster Slide" sign graphic is low resolution.
2. When the bumpers are lit they have no textures to them.

I'm also noticing some changes with Circus Voltaire and Bride of Pin*Bot.
Perhaps it's just the global lighting changes they've applied that are making them look different. They almost look like "night mode" now.

I don't remember the lights flashing around her head like that either. Again, they might be more obvious with the darker view.

Update #2 - Black Knight still looks like a box of feces. :(

So no one else has noticed the table changes?
Elvira definitely looks way better in this release.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
must be a placebo effect as bobby king stated that it's nigh impossible to change dlc tables

Yeah I took a look at that table and it looks the same as ever to me--although I hadn't played it too recently. It is funny to see all the placebo effect reactions after each update, though; for instance there's a guy just now on Facebook who's accusing FarSight of breaking the game in this latest update by making all the tables "thinner" and the flippers much larger. 8o

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Speaking of EATPM, it still needs proper 1080p graphics; some texts on the table are unreadable.

Edit: did Elvira and the Party Monsters have an animated backglass? I can see my score there now, can't really remember seeing that before

The biggest disappointment in 2.08/9 is that the only selection we have is if you want to use R1/L1 or R2/L2 - no sign of option to disable 2-stage flippers. While that might be fun with a real machine, right now I am destroying my L1/L2 buttons by having to press so hard to properly time an upper playfield shot.

PS4 is going to be holiday season for early adopters; there's really no need for FarSight to ignore PS3 users yet. If there's really an issue with DLC, we can't be the only ones running into problems, and let FarSight's and other DL content providers' customers be the exact same people as Sony's customers. So we can get something going there. Android shows how it's done; you start a table and it will make you download an updated version of that table.

Re the menu system, at one point we will have 50 tables and then the current one won't work either. We're going to have to go to some kind of hierarchical menu.

Perhaps by decade, and you can "style" the submenu for that era (e.g. 1960s "rock&roll", 1970s "disco", 1980s "pop", 1990s "house/techno", 2000s [strike]"justin bieber"[/strike] woops... let's think of something else, but you get my drift. Edit2: perhaps an "arcade" filled with your machines and people in appropriate attire playing them (think the old PHoF games) and appropriate background music/vocals/gameplay-reaction-exclamations, like "far out!" and "groovy, man!" for the 60s.

Another way would be to do it by manufacturer; "Bally", "Gottlieb", "Stern", etc.

Last edited:

Deathtickle

Dec 10, 2012
Steve Ritchie makes my top 3 favorite pinball games.

I never knew he was the one behind all 3 till years later. The only Real Life Machines I bought were both Richie.

Kaoru

Mar 29, 2012
Keep in mind that they've had this UI in place for quite awhile (the update was submitted to Sony several weeks ago).
But that's not my point. An UI as unfinished and unpolished as this shouldn't have even been submitted in the first place! D:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
But that's not my point. An UI as unfinished and unpolished as this shouldn't have even been submitted in the first place! D:

Yeah, I agree...and Farsight feels the same way (now, at least).

In case anyone missed it on the last page, here's the response I got from Bobby:

"We have a new UI guy working full time now and we'll be updating the look in a month or so. It will function in a similar manner, but the new look is a lot better."

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
So no one else has noticed the table changes?
Elvira definitely looks way better in this release.

I will have a look! :D
There seems to be some differences that I can see on Elvira, mainly the ramps look different than before.
Bride of Pinbot definetly have a richer lightning compared to before, I can't remember that there was strobing light in the plunger for example and the flashing is more notable all around.
I noticed differences in CV aswell, might have a lot to do with the reflection of the ball in the field?
Or maybe it is all placebo ;)

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I hate it. It's not a real reflection, it's like a static shadow attached to the ball and just doesn't look right.

I think the reason that it doesn't look right is because nothing else reflects like that. I think its a cool effect and as long as you don't focus on it it looks ok. But bumpers, ramps, targets, back glass should all be reflecting to some degree. Its a good start though.

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
The camera staying zoomed in on the Star Trek TNG plunger instead of the playfield literally happens about half the time I start a multiball mode. After having ST:TNG for about a day and a half it has happened to me 8 times. Sometimes the camera returns to the playfield after a few seconds, and sometimes it stays looking at the plunger until multiball ends. I have no idea how this made it through testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts