PS3 TZ Kickstarter Supporter Tournament is on the way

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
The TZ Kickstarter Supporter Tournament is on the way and only few people are participating on the PS3 (10 people vs 200+ on the other devices out of ~400 who are eligible).

Where are you guys? :)

An official Update of the kickstarter project won't hurt to let people know about the tournament.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would be playing right now, but I don't have access to the tournament yet even though I used the same email on both my Kickstarter and PS3/PSN accounts. I've sent an email to support so hopefully I'll be given access within the next 24hrs.

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
I wish I was in the tournament, but I wasn't aware of the TZ kickstarter back when it happened. TZ is what caused me to buy Pinball Arcade. Been playing it a bit more again, now that I'm at risk of losing my top 100 place ;)

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
I played it recently on the iPad and wondered why I was suddenly so bad on the PS3 - until I remembered the freaking dual-stage flippers.

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
Just got back from holidays, and tried to play TZ tournament before it ends tomorrow! And PS3 says my e-mail address is not registered with Farsight. WTF? I backed TZ at $100. Contacted FS via e-mail. I can still access the TZ tourney on IOS...??? Yes same e-mail address.

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
Prompt reply from Rosa, Ryan was able to get me access to the PS3 Tourney today? Thank you FS! Great Customer Support!:D

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I would be playing right now, but I don't have access to the tournament yet even though I used the same email on both my Kickstarter and PS3/PSN accounts. I've sent an email to support so hopefully I'll be given access within the next 24hrs.

You get access yet? I used the same email address too. I have a PS user ID. Do they need that too?

VMethos

Jun 29, 2012
You may need to inform them of your PSN ID.

Last week sometime I got an email from FarSight that said to reply to the email or the kickstarter message with my PSN ID. I did that and was able to log on to the tournament as soon as it was available.

I hope that in future tournaments they turn extra balls off. Played a 3 hour plus game last night of TZ.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
You get access yet? I used the same email address too. I have a PS user ID. Do they need that too?

I have access now, but won't be able to post a score until sometime this weekend. I sent FarSight both my PS3/PSN login and my PSN ID.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
What does it take to get in the tournament? Gee, hope I can at least register one score. Anybody home at Farsight?

Finally in.

Last edited:

Canadian365

Jun 26, 2012
Tournament complete! Only managed 10th place with a little over 3 billion! Insane top scores over 32 billion. How the heck is that possible?? Must be some true Pin Wizards out there...Tips welcome from top winners.

VMethos

Jun 29, 2012
Pro Tip #1: Do not begin your game of Twilight Zone at 10pm or later, as a high scoring game can keep you up well past 2am on a work night. ;)

In all seriousness, all the best stuff is covered here:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2777-TZ-Tactics-and-Strategies

Some things I'd mention or highlight...

-- Learn to consistently do the left ramp, right ramp, piano 3-way combo shot. This is the bread and butter of TZ for me. I would avoid the dangers of the bumpers and some greed targets in favor of getting to LITZ (Lost in the Zone) more often. Only when during a multiball would I allow padding the score with the more dangerous shots.

-- Try to save the "Lite Outlanes" award (either from Camera or Super Skill Shot) until right before starting LITZ. Chances are you will get at least 1 extra ball if not 2 from the left outlane extra ball or right outlane special.

-- Focusing on getting to LITZ multiple times will continue to re-open a possible extra ball from Super Skill Shot. (Use the top down camera view and learn where to have the plunger for consistent extra balls)

-- When low on extra balls or after getting Hitch Hikers to 100, I shot the ball with full force from the plunger (except during "Super Skill Shot") to prevent possible left outlane drains from the bumpers. This fed the ball from the slot machine for an easy trap to control instead of sending it to the bumpers.

-- You can trap the ball when it is kicked out from the slot machine on either the right or left flipper. You can allow it to bounce over to the left for a trap or hold the right flipper up to trap on the right.

-- I send the powerball directly to the gumball machine when it appears. I have much more difficulty with the control of the powerball, it's nice to occasionally lock it so you can gain a powerball double jackpot during multiball, but more often than not, I would prevent using the powerball during normal play because the regular balls can be more easily controlled.

Jj Johnson

Jul 26, 2013
Pro Tip #1: Do not begin your game of Twilight Zone at 10pm or later, as a high scoring game can keep you up well past 2am on a work night. ;)

In all seriousness, all the best stuff is covered here:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2777-TZ-Tactics-and-Strategies

Some things I'd mention or highlight...

-- Learn to consistently do the left ramp, right ramp, piano 3-way combo shot. This is the bread and butter of TZ for me. I would avoid the dangers of the bumpers and some greed targets in favor of getting to LITZ (Lost in the Zone) more often. Only when during a multiball would I allow padding the score with the more dangerous shots.

-- Try to save the "Lite Outlanes" award (either from Camera or Super Skill Shot) until right before starting LITZ. Chances are you will get at least 1 extra ball if not 2 from the left outlane extra ball or right outlane special.

-- Focusing on getting to LITZ multiple times will continue to re-open a possible extra ball from Super Skill Shot. (Use the top down camera view and learn where to have the plunger for consistent extra balls)

-- When low on extra balls or after getting Hitch Hikers to 100, I shot the ball with full force from the plunger (except during "Super Skill Shot") to prevent possible left outlane drains from the bumpers. This fed the ball from the slot machine for an easy trap to control instead of sending it to the bumpers.

-- You can trap the ball when it is kicked out from the slot machine on either the right or left flipper. You can allow it to bounce over to the left for a trap or hold the right flipper up to trap on the right.

-- I send the powerball directly to the gumball machine when it appears. I have much more difficulty with the control of the powerball, it's nice to occasionally lock it so you can gain a powerball double jackpot during multiball, but more often than not, I would prevent using the powerball during normal play because the regular balls can be more easily controlled.

Congrats on the ps3 win nice score! I got top mobile I'm super happy they changed it to give both devices the translite excited. That's a cool frame I'm getting a swap box lighted one for mine with the LED changing door mod also.
Here's the frame here looks like. http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/pinball-translite-frames.html

Here is the swap box thread on pin side pretty cool.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/to...-a-new-game-roompinball-led-light-box-display

VMethos

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks JJ, and congrats to you on the mobile win. I'm also glad they made the change to award both tournaments with the signed translite, I would've felt bad if they hadn't. Not bad enough to refuse acceptance of it or to defer it to you of course, ;) but I would've felt bad all the same.

The swap box looks pretty cool, I may look into that eventually.

Jj Johnson

Jul 26, 2013
Thanks JJ, and congrats to you on the mobile win. I'm also glad they made the change to award both tournaments with the signed translite, I would've felt bad if they hadn't. Not bad enough to refuse acceptance of it or to defer it to you of course, ;) but I would've felt bad all the same.

The swap box looks pretty cool, I may look into that eventually.

I wouldn't have excepted anyway you earned it crazy score. Are you going to write a Bio for the newsletter also? If so can't wait to read it. I wasn't even expecting it I excepted the fact last week I didn't make it and was already over it but when I read that post yesterday I probably screamed like a little girl getting a pony for Christmas haha. :D

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
How long do you have to play for 10+ Billion scores? Already a good 3B games takes a while and I usually don't have the motivation nor stamina for more.

Congratulations to the winners, you are the best. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.