retrogaming anyone?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
In the United States I believe it is illegal, which is why I was asking. We used to have the right to make a backup copy of software even if it was to a different medium but we never had the right to copy that software to another platform.

There are a few SNES games that I'd like to play but I try to respect the rights of the owners of software. It's just a personal thing though. I don't think any less of people who use emulators and ROMs.

Thanks for helping me to understand the emulator thing!

While still skirting legality, if you CAN get a copy then get a copy, of course. If you can't then get the rom.

an ox

May 28, 2012
Got your Tempest right here.

There's a place for both modern and retro, depends what mood I'm in really. I have a pretty complete current MAME set on the PC, and on the iPad I run MAME, NES, SNES, PC Engine, c64, MSX, Coleco, 2600 and Megadrive, nice to have them all available when I fancy a quick go (coupled with an 8-Bitty joypad). The very best old games are still just as much fun to this day, but going through the emulators makes you realise that there were an awful lot of clunkers too. The ones I usually end up playing are either classics I've already paid for in various compilations loads of times over the years anyway, or games I made myself, so I don't feel too bad about the ethics of it. I never really want to emulate anything that's still current anyway.

Modern games are awesome too, although i don't buy them every week like I used to buy games back in the day. Fifty quid odd is a lot for a new game so it only happens a few times a year. Plenty of cool stuff to be picked up cheaper in steam sales and such if you're willing to wait a few months after launch.

Got a Skyrim playthrough going on that I started back in August last year. Fantastic game, and even when i finish it I know I'll basically be able to play it forever what with all the mods on the PC. Makes you realise that things have progressed just a bit since the days of GO NORTH, ENTER CAVE back in the day :)

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
Eh, the way I see it is if I can't get the game legally without paying an arm and a leg to do so then I just get the ROM. They'll get my money if they port the classics to the current systems. I buy pretty much every classic game compilation both physical and digital, and if you're on my friends list and see my trophy collection then you'll know that.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts