Safecracker

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I always think that Safecracker looks like a really cool oddity to own in a big, impressive collection (like the one I hope to have some day when my dreams come true, and/or I win the lottery), but that the smaller playfield makes for more playfield congestion, and less fun shots, which is always #1 for me. Plus, it has only 1 dinky little ramp that seems to run into the back of the machine, and ramps are my fave 'playfield object'. If I was rich I'd pay the guy $6000 for his cherry one, sure, but I'd probably have bought 50-80 other pins first.

The funny thing about all that is, I'm not sure it that makes it a better candidate for TPA (rare, unique table in pinball history, by a major designer, interesting), or a worse one (maybe a kinda weak play, a little hard to properly reproduce in the digital pinball/videogame environment).

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I always think that Safecracker looks like a really cool oddity to own in a big, impressive collection (like the one I hope to have some day when my dreams come true, and/or I win the lottery), but that the smaller playfield makes for more playfield congestion, and less fun shots, which is always #1 for me. Plus, it has only 1 dinky little ramp that seems to run into the back of the machine, and ramps are my fave 'playfield object'. If I was rich I'd pay the guy $6000 for his cherry one, sure, but I'd probably have bought 50-80 other pins first.

The funny thing about all that is, I'm not sure it that makes it a better candidate for TPA (rare, unique table in pinball history, by a major designer, interesting), or a worse one (maybe a kinda weak play, a little hard to properly reproduce in the digital pinball/videogame environment).

Ya know what, I'm a ramp fan too, but it really doesn't matter with Safecracker. It's hard to describe to those that haven't played it, but so much of your focus is devoted to advancing on the gameboard, which is done by achieving certain shots. It's not a flow table, yet it is frenetic. There is no '3 balls' of play, but a time limit. You know how various tables have hurry up rewards and the sweaty palms you get from dealing with those? Imagine that feeling never stopping!

The key for me if FarSight ever does do this table is token collecting. Forget about wizard goals and achievements. I want them to recreate every token and then allow you to try and collect them all and view them at leisure.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Agreed with SYT. That would be the only to do it. Maybe FS can make it happen. A very unique pin that not enough people have had a chance to play.

I'll be playing it again next Thursday at a local place. Hope they fixed the DMD as it was on its deathbed last time I played it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Ya know what, I'm a ramp fan too, but it really doesn't matter with Safecracker. It's hard to describe to those that haven't played it, but so much of your focus is devoted to advancing on the gameboard, which is done by achieving certain shots. It's not a flow table, yet it is frenetic. There is no '3 balls' of play, but a time limit. You know how various tables have hurry up rewards and the sweaty palms you get from dealing with those? Imagine that feeling never stopping!

The key for me if FarSight ever does do this table is token collecting. Forget about wizard goals and achievements. I want them to recreate every token and then allow you to try and collect them all and view them at leisure.

This is the correct answer to why this game needs to be in the TPA collection. Too many people have not had a chance to experience this surprising, challenging, infuriating, token spitting game.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Awesome to see all those Jared.

I know there is a Safe Cracker at PHOF...wonder if it's loaded with tokens too?

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
My gut feeling is probably not. But it would certainly be a nice surprise!

I had a chance to play Safe Cracker for the first time in over a decade when I was at the Chicago Expo last fall. Such a great game. I made it to the vault, and kept my fingers crossed that I'd hear that all-but-forgotten sound of a token coming down the glass, but alas...

anonymatt

Jan 12, 2013
IMO, virtualizing rare games is not where it's at. Nostalgia is a major factor. So is learning rules for real life play. If I've never played it and won't have the opportunity any time soon, I'm way less interested.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
IMO, virtualizing rare games is not where it's at. Nostalgia is a major factor. So is learning rules for real life play. If I've never played it and won't have the opportunity any time soon, I'm way less interested.

I certainly get where you're coming at with the whole nostalgia thing, but on the flip side, this might be the only way some people ever get to play these rare tables. That poll with the Stern tables, so many of us have never even seen one of those tables in action, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be in TPA. I had never played a real Safe Cracker until a year ago. I had played it in VP quite a bit. The only reason I had even downloaded it was 'cause I heard it was a Lawlor table. I have since developed nostalgic feelings toward it after having spent many hours playing the virtual version. When I finally played it for real, it was like we were old friends.

I think about a table like Big Bang Bar, which very few people in the world have ever touched. It is extremely fun, very funny, and wouldn't you rather play something like that, something you can newly fall in love with, in addition to tables you already know and love?

To an extent though, I think this is part of why people aren't fond of Zen tables. You didn't grow up with them, their sounds and music don't flash you back to your childhood. Given a chance though, new memories grow. Shoot, I remember playing Space Shuttle, and when I hear that table fire up I have flashbacks to how much I didn't care for it then either!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I certainly get where you're coming at with the whole nostalgia thing, but on the flip side, this might be the only way some people ever get to play these rare tables. That poll with the Stern tables, so many of us have never even seen one of those tables in action, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be in TPA. I had never played a real Safe Cracker until a year ago. I had played it in VP quite a bit. The only reason I had even downloaded it was 'cause I heard it was a Lawlor table. I have since developed nostalgic feelings toward it after having spent many hours playing the virtual version. When I finally played it for real, it was like we were old friends.

I think about a table like Big Bang Bar, which very few people in the world have ever touched. It is extremely fun, very funny, and wouldn't you rather play something like that, something you can newly fall in love with, in addition to tables you already know and love?

To an extent though, I think this is part of why people aren't fond of Zen tables. You didn't grow up with them, their sounds and music don't flash you back to your childhood. Given a chance though, new memories grow. Shoot, I remember playing Space Shuttle, and when I hear that table fire up I have flashbacks to how much I didn't care for it then either!

Well put.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've found people on here have gotten me fired up over a table I've never heard of before. Yes, I have fond memories of dropping $400 into ST:TNG one summer (and I love the table in TPA), but I've also had a lot of fun with tables I've never played before. Safecracker is one that I've become interested in after hearing people on the forum talk about it, and I'd love to see it in TPA sometime.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts