Satellite internet

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Living out here in the country the internet options are few. Anyone have suggestions on a good satellite provider that you have used?

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
*grins* sadly I cannot help in this case, being a few thousand miles away, but are you sure it's your best option? There are are drawbacks and high costs to consider. I could try looking around your local area for you.

Edit - good starting point would be what you are using now, what you would like to see and expect from this connection.

Last edited:

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
What I have now is a local broadband. They just can't seem to get the download speed fast enough.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
So your looking just generally fast broadband in what range, if your current download is five you want 50? What issues do you run into currently. Try being descriptive of your usage patterns, I'm assuming it's a pure personal line etc etc. Is it just so you and the wife or grandkids can watch Netflix and check the medias etc. Desribe daily usage and what your current package is? Would you prefer we do this on chat over the weekend, I'll juice you like a moonshiner with tater peels!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I would stay far away from Satellite internet, man. I had it for a couple years when I lived out in the middle of nowhere and it was dreadful! Not only does it randomly cut out (clouds can and will block your signal), but the latency is awful. We're talking 1500ms pings. Also, the speeds themselves weren't even very good, especially the upload (keep in mind the radio on your dish, which isn't very strong for legal reasons, literally has to transmit the signal all the way back up to the satellite). Additionally, they usually have strict data limits PER HOUR (which is unheard of for normal broadband), and they promptly cut you off for hours if you go over. On top of all that, they usually make you buy the equipment and sign an extended contract. I had to pay over $500 dollars just for the dish and modem, and was locked in for 2 years.

I ended up just tethering from my mobile phone and had much better luck, both in speeds and reliability.

But if you can get normal broadband, consider yourself lucky because satellite will not be better, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.