Scared Stiff Pro

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Does the Pro Mode have a higher age rating? If it's the same rating as the game itself, I don't really understand why you would need pro mode to hear them.

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
I don't entirely understand the point of Family Mode when just as many lines of innuendo were left in as there were taken out. So who decided which lines would go over kids' heads and which ones would not? :)

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I don't entirely understand the point of Family Mode when just as many lines of innuendo were left in as there were taken out. So who decided which lines would go over kids' heads and which ones would not? :)

True enough, but it was the creators of the physical machine that made that decision, not FarSight.

All FarSight did is set the option to family mode as the default when playing.
Unfortunately that apparently isn't the FACTORY default and the only way to change it is to purchase the Pro Mode and lose all ability to achieve the goals or save scores to the leader boards.

I really wish FarSight would move the control of that single feature outside of the pro mode lockdown. That change doesn't affect scores.
Heck, a "Semi-Pro" mode for a few bucks that turns off the family mode but leaves the achievements and leader board intact would work for me!

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
Right. Didn't mean to imply FarSight was the ones that added Family Mode. But why is "Family Mode: Off" the default setting for Medieval Madness? It really makes me think something got overlooked and this should be the default setting for SS as well.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
It is probably the FCC that determined what could be allowed or not, back when the table was first introduced to the public. They are the US equivalent of the obscenity police. Not sure how this works internationally. The whole thing is just absurd, in my opinion. Medieval Madness is another table that gets progress and leaderboard support removed when opting to turn the family safe mode off.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
Right. Didn't mean to imply FarSight was the ones that added Family Mode. But why is "Family Mode: Off" the default setting for Medieval Madness? It really makes me think something got overlooked and this should be the default setting for SS as well.

Both Medieval Madness and Scared Stiff have Family Mode ON by default.

EzwCRqGz

HjbyQxgB

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
I just doublechecked my MM. It's definitely "Family Mode: No". I just turned Operator Mode on to go in there, and didn't have to make any changes. :confused:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I just doublechecked my MM. It's definitely "Family Mode: No". I just turned Operator Mode on to go in there, and didn't have to make any changes. :confused:

The factory setting for both is set to Family Mode No/Off; however, this game's default appears to have family mode enabled. When I turn the operator's menu off, then back on, it resets everything back to default, and my screen shots are displaying what my game uses as the default setting.

LMA

Jun 14, 2013
Bloody hell I have another Pro version to buy and then have no scores for that too. Boooooooooo.
They should just have it in a none pro mode sounds option menu when you have bought the pro versions. That's how Rome II got around the age rating with the Blood & Gore DLC.

Scared Stiff
Medieval madness
Any others than above that need pro to give all sound?

Last edited:

TheLohoped

Nov 6, 2013
Guys, MM is completelly uncensored! If MM is in family mode the DMD will show huge word "CENSORED" instead of dragon killing scenes. Do you see this word when you play MM without Pro Mode? And yes, Howard Hurtz's speech is supposed to be censored.

The only table you need to buy Pro version for to fully enjoy it is Scared Stiff.

Lupin

Nov 20, 2013
I have same problem on my PC version menus say "Family Mode" no/off but game still plays censored sound.
Can this be fixed?

N

netizen

I have same problem on my PC version menus say "Family Mode" no/off but game still plays censored sound.
Can this be fixed?

If by censored sound you mean the Howard Hurtz bleeping, that is not adjusted by family mode.
Family mode changes the DMD animations of the dragon being killed. The bleeping being uncensored is an aftermarket ROM

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
I figured this topic was done, but I've been playing Scared Stiff Pro today and noticed the callouts were for Family Mode On. So I double checked the menu settings and I still have this saved as Family Mode Off. Does anyone else have this issue? One easy way to tell is by Elvira's missing line just before Coffin Multiball.

Vegard

Jan 2, 2014
I figured this topic was done, but I've been playing Scared Stiff Pro today and noticed the callouts were for Family Mode On. So I double checked the menu settings and I still have this saved as Family Mode Off. Does anyone else have this issue? One easy way to tell is by Elvira's missing line just before Coffin Multiball.

Yes, same here. Family Mode says it's off when I check the Pro Menu, but it's actually on. I'm still missing a wizard goal for that table though so I'm not messing with any settings until I have it.

luxeder

Nov 5, 2013
It's just speculation, but I think the sounds are not playing from the rom itself, they are recorded/extracted for better quality... So it might be that FS recorded it only with family mode on...

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
It's just speculation, but I think the sounds are not playing from the rom itself, they are recorded/extracted for better quality... So it might be that FS recorded it only with family mode on...
If you play it in pro mode with it set off though, it definitely plays the non-family mode callouts though. So if they weren't recorded, maybe pro mode emulates the sounds as well? I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

Neil L

Aug 5, 2012
Couldn't an extra option be added to the Pro Menu for Family Mode On/Off that doesn't interfere with the high scores (maybe in the UI update)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.