Scripted vs. Rom emulated ?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
"ROM emulated" uses the actual ROM/software that the real pinball machines used for the rules, lights, mechanics, etc.

"Scripted" is when a programmer at Farsight attempts to recreate the rules, lights, mechanics, etc. by coding it all from scratch.

As you can imagine, it's tricky to code or "script" everything to be identical to a real machine (even on the older pins), which is why ROM emulation is so much better in terms of accuracy, and easier for Farsight too.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
An emulated table contains a copy of the actual software that runs the real pinball machine. FarSight then uses an emulation framework to simulate the actual hardware components that the real machine would have, and so the table operates in the exact same way that the real one does. (We'll ignore the occasional bug for this discussion.)

A scripted table contains FarSight-developed code that attempts to mimic the behavior of the real machine. Electromechanical machines have to be done this way (because they have no software), but some of the older solid state tables were scripted as well due to difficulties at the time with emulating them properly.

In general, an emulated table is far more true to the real machine than a scripted one. Exhibit A: Black Knight.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
When I was talking to one of the FS guys in Milwaukee he said that for some of the tables in PHoF they made hours of video of game play on one machine that was being scripted. They still got part of it wrong. One of the pro pinball players later told them that it was kind of fun to play a pinball machine that they knew backwards and forwards but with new rules! :D

Those are the kinds of problems you can run into when scripting a table.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys. I read somewhere on these forums that Firepower is scripted. Now if it is easier for Farsite to rom emulate a table rather than script it, why would they go the scripted route ? And is this irreversible , like if a table is scripted can they change it to rom emulation at some point ?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply guys. I read somewhere on these forums that Firepower is scripted. Now if it is easier for Farsite to rom emulate a table rather than script it, why would they go the scripted route ? And is this irreversible , like if a table is scripted can they change it to rom emulation at some point ?
To successfully emulate a table, the table's software must be convinced it is operating in its actual machine. If a detail of the emulation framework is even slightly off, the software may crash. Each different system used by pinball manufacturers requires its own emulation framework to be developed and tested.

The WPC and System 11 emulation was developed first. Some of the older systems were not emulated successfully until recently, so scripting had to be used instead.

A scripted table can be changed over to emulated, but it involves essentially redoing the table.

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
To successfully emulate a table, the table's software must be convinced it is operating in its actual machine. If a detail of the emulation framework is even slightly off, the software may crash. Each different system used by pinball manufacturers requires its own emulation framework to be developed and tested.

The WPC and System 11 emulation was developed first. Some of the older systems were not emulated successfully until recently, so scripting had to be used instead.

A scripted table can be changed over to emulated, but it involves essentially redoing the table.

Thanks Sean, is there a post regarding which tables are scripted and which ones are emulated?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks Sean, is there a post regarding which tables are scripted and which ones are emulated?

They're all ROM emulated except Black Hole, Genie, Gorgar, Firepower, and Black Knight (for now), and of course Big Shot and Central Park since those two are EM's.

Last edited:

sixmillion

Aug 9, 2012
They're all ROM emulated except Black Hole, Genie, Gorgar, Firepower, and Black Knight (for now), and of course Big Shot and Central Park since those two are EM's.

Jeff is there any mention from Farsite if they plan on emulating these in the future? There are some really good tables there, gorgor, firepower, and genie for sure.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Jeff is there any mention from Farsite if they plan on emulating these in the future? There are some really good tables there, gorgor, firepower, and genie for sure.

Black Knight is the only definite one so far, but yes it'd be great to see the others emulated as well.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Really?! I never knew that these ones weren't ROM emulated, although I only have access to Gorgar and Black Hole.

What's the reason these tables don't use emulation?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Really?! I never knew that these ones weren't ROM emulated, although I only have access to Gorgar and Black Hole.

What's the reason these tables don't use emulation?
The emulation framework needed for these tables had not been developed yet at the time they were released.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I absolutely love Gorgor on TPA but I've never seen one in real life. Does anyone know if the real table's play is much different?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My memories of Gorgar from childhood were all based on avoiding it. It was a quarter thief. But I was always happy to watch my friends get butchered by it. As for gameplay, I think TPA captured it very well.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They did a good job with TPA's Gorgar, but it does have some sound bugs. Plus the drop targets pop back up too quickly and other slight differences. Hopefully they'll emulate it eventually.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It's also impossible to replicate the lights exactly without ROM emulation (even on a "simple" pin such as Gorgar):

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts