PC SGDQ MLPINBALL TPA Tournament

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Man I'm really terrible at this 5 minute stuff. I think I might just be able to squeak in to top 50 though.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I'm at 50 right now. Looks like I need to improve a few scores to stay in the Top 50. I like this format a lot

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Does anybody have strategy advices for the tables on how to make the best out of the 5 min.? For some of the tables it might not be smart to play it the same way as when playing it without time limit, as it nearly impossible to complete certain goals within the time available. Sometimes there may be several modes available, but which one is the most effecient? Also maybe some things should maybe be avoided at all - for example the video mode in Harley Davidson is not worth playing - there are better things to do.

I'm probably not good enough to give advice, but maybe some of our pros are.

Tables are:

Tales of the Arabians Nights
Theatre of magic
Gorgar
Creature from the Black Lagoon
TX Sector
El Dorado
Big Shot
Harley Davidson
Attack from Mars
Dr. Dude

For Gorgar I was going for the 1-2-3-4 Targets and then the Snake pit to collect the 50k. I think that's the most effecient way to score, or does anyone have a better idea?

On Tales I tried to beat my score with Multiball and hitting the Genie for Jackpot, but I think it's too difficult to keep the Multiball alive long enough to get a decent score. I don't know what exactly I did to get the 23m, but it was probably something with "Luck" involved...

On Attack from Mars I think I have a quite good run with a Total Annihalition Multiball.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
AFM is all about Total Annihilation and keeping it going for as long as possible.

Big Shot just drain your first 3 balls and depending on skill level, even drain the 4th.

Creature is getting to multiball quickly and then getting jackpots. With the time limit you can do 2 options. 1 is to build the multiplier to 4x and collect a jackpot and super, maybe having enough time to get another jackpot. Option 2 is to skip the multiplier and have time to earn two supers, possibly a 3rd jackpot.

Dr Dude is activate multiball and collect jackpot, drain one ball to get 2x scoring going, and then get multiball again but this time keeping it going as long as possible.

Harley it is best to skip video mode. Just get whatever multiball started you can and flip like a madman. Use all 3 balls, since you can launch for 10 million each, and make sure to drain in time to collect bonus (timer actually stops while its tallying)

That's all I have strategy for, and it's mainly theory as I've yet to truly exploit any before losing or timing out.

invitro

May 4, 2012
On Tales I tried to beat my score with Multiball and hitting the Genie for Jackpot, but I think it's too difficult to keep the Multiball alive long enough to get a decent score. I don't know what exactly I did to get the 23m, but it was probably something with "Luck" involved...
3X Lightning Lamp! During Multiball! Preferably the 3rd or 4th LL.

On AFM, don't forger to have Martian Multiball running during Total Annihilation. Send the balls to the bumpers to keep them out of play and thus have more than 2 scoring for as long as possible. Use the Super Skill Shot to knock off the ramps, if they're harder than the orbits for you like they are for me. Don't be silly like me - remember to drain before time runs out to collect bonus :( :(.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
3X Lightning Lamp! During Multiball! Preferably the 3rd or 4th LL.

On AFM, don't forger to have Martian Multiball running during Total Annihilation. Send the balls to the bumpers to keep them out of play and thus have more than 2 scoring for as long as possible. Use the Super Skill Shot to knock off the ramps, if they're harder than the orbits for you like they are for me. Don't be silly like me - remember to drain before time runs out to collect bonus :( :(.

For the record, I blame you. Thanks for getting him to knock me off :p

It's basically not worth the grind anyway. I'm basically guaranteed a chance at the Top 50/100 raffles.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Tip for Theatre of Magic: play it on the DX9 version, then you can see the mirrored Bonus X lanes.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
for top 50 players

the laptop can lay flat for full portrait mode...jas sayin

im afraid to use my model atm because of bugs...i might just get my moneys worth tho! alot of power in a small inclosure, show me the shiney dx11 jerry!

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
It's official. Tarek is at 1,000. Thanks a lot [MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION]. (Though it's not like competing for first anyway. Equal chances at winning the draw.)

JEAcRfx.png

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I honestly looked at the new UI for like 10 minutes and could not even see how to see standings that weren't table standings. I think I'm just not going to bother even trying for top 50.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I was away and busy all weekend, and tonight too, so thanks for the mention [MENTION=446]invitro[/MENTION] but I won't make it into this one.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
if full portrait at 1080p is a thing id encourage any and all our users to go for top fifity its the only truely useful object in anyone of the tourneys

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Standings aren't available to view currently within the game. Website is the only way. One of those things on the list and FarSight is hoping to have it implemented again very soon.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Well, it's now past 1am Central, the tourney should be officially closed. I'm hoping I squeaked in and that it holds. The timer on the results page shows 6 more hours, so who knows what is right. Anyway, after going in and out of the top 50, I'm currently at #49 with the exact same score as #48 and #50. I need to go to bed, hoping when I wake up nothing changed.

I did terrible on ToM, TX Sector, El Dorado, and TotAN. I have no idea how to generate good scores in 5 minutes on those tables, and my overall results suffered because of that. And Creature, which I did as efficiently as I thought possible, and am in 8th place with, I have no clue how the top 3 people manage the scores they do in that time. Talking double + my score. Maybe if I didn't miss once, but even then those scores are at least a full 4x jackpot and superjackpot more than what I managed, of which I collected 3/2 of. It's like a magic trick and I'm dying to find out how it's done.

Voof

Sep 22, 2015
Isn't it scary that I'm not a PC player?
In all seriousness I wish I knew the physics more, it feels like a completely different game. I sat down with PinballJoe at 82 on his visit in LA and he asked me if I would win a tournament if Tarek entered. I quickly said no without a doubt in my mind... doesn't make me feel any better about losing :p. Shame you showed up late Tarek, I didn't have much time to make a run at your scores.
This tourney is off the hook. I finally registered and got in last night... I was a little wary at first because, well, I don't know. Five-minute games are a little crazy, and make me think there would be a big luck factor. But the usual suspects, plus Voof crossing over from PSN, and maybe some others, are on top.

The mlpinball page has a second prize: PRIZE: Place in the top 100 for a chance to win a SIGNED Stern Translite and there are pics of Walking Dead, Star Trek, and Metallica. (I know I would pick Metallica if given those choices.)

For anyone having any trouble registering: I did have to go to http://twitch.tv/pinballjoe and ask the folks there to add me, before I was able to get in the tourney. And to get in, click the gamepad on the new GUI, this shows a button for tourneys. You have unlimited tries, and the scoring is the same as in regular TPA tourneys (although the mlpinball page says points go 100, 90, 85, 84, 83, ..., this happens only when there are less than about 80 players in a tier; this tourney has 267 players right now, so the drop in points after 85 is less than 1 point).

The mlpinball page says the tourney stop time is July 13th 1am CST, but the timer on the http://pinballarcade.com/InvitationalTournaments/ page calculates to 2016-07-12tu 8:00pm (ET) for me.

I am stinking it up except for a #6 on CftBL. I wish I had started sooner :).

Here's an invitation to @Tarek Oberdieck, @vikingerik, and @JPelter to join in the fun. The leader right now is Voof, and he's not even a real PC player, so we can't let him win, and I'm not gonna beat him :).

For posterity: there are 10 tables in the tourney: AFM, Big Shot, CftBL, Dr. Dude, El Dorado (1975), Gorgar, Harley, Theatre of Magic, TotAN, and TX-Sector. I guess it is a pretty good selection, but they seem to have grabbed the tables I'm not good at... I'm out of the top 50 on only 13 tables, but six of those are in this tourney :rolleyes:. Maybe it's a good time to get good on those six...

Tarek Oberdieck

Jan 18, 2015
Isn't it scary that I'm not a PC player?
In all seriousness I wish I knew the physics more, it feels like a completely different game. I sat down with PinballJoe at 82 on his visit in LA and he asked me if I would win a tournament if Tarek entered. I quickly said no without a doubt in my mind... doesn't make me feel any better about losing :p. Shame you showed up late Tarek, I didn't have much time to make a run at your scores.

Thanks for the flowers. The big difference to other TPA tournaments was the short time. Every try needs only 2-3 minutes to decide is the game worth to finish or should I restart? I believe that's the reason that I was able to beat your 10 day scores in 2-3 days. Otherwise I would have never reached the 1000 points with this late accession...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.