Shmups!

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Zero wing has always been a curiosity. The most infamous intro sequence ever but I've never actually played it. Never really even heard opinions on the gameplay other than it is similar to r type.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Zero wing has always been a curiosity. The most infamous intro sequence ever but I've never actually played it. Never really even heard opinions on the gameplay other than it is similar to r type.

Same for me, and from what I seen it looks nice.

All your base belongs to us!

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Soldier Blade yet. Amazing game, possibly my favorite TurboGrafx shmup, perhaps even favorite in the entire genre.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm a huge fan of R-Type.

There was this strange little game i had on my Master System called Cloud Master. Was very colourful and not too bad really. But R-Type, the arcade version still looks good to this day. That's actually the nicest thing about the schmup is that they age really well. Does Centipede count as one?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Soldier Blade yet. Amazing game, possibly my favorite TurboGrafx shmup, perhaps even favorite in the entire genre.

Tg16 was the king of shooters. It had more quality than any other platform. Final soldier was really good and even super star soldier which was the weakest in that series (to me) was still way better than plenty of other shooters during that time. The air zonks were pretty decent too.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I'm a huge fan of R-Type.

There was this strange little game i had on my Master System called Cloud Master. Was very colourful and not too bad really. But R-Type, the arcade version still looks good to this day. That's actually the nicest thing about the schmup is that they age really well. Does Centipede count as one?

Definitely count centipede. It is very much similar to other non scrolling shooters like galaxian series. In fact the series had lots of innovation for shooters. The environment could be shot (mushrooms) super weapons (DDT) we're scattered around the playfield and the ability to move in two dimensions was a big evolution for shooters, especiLly with the trackball device.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
I'm a huge fan of Cave Shmups. I own all the regionfree ones for the Xbox 360. Mushihimesama Futari Ver. 1.5 is my favorite.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
jeff minters shooters for a more quirky brit flavour with much bahhhing , gridrunner minotron ox wars etc all on ios

(you can pay me for the plug ox)

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
jeff minters shooters for a more quirky brit flavour with much bahhhing , gridrunner minotron ox wars etc all on ios

(you can pay me for the plug ox)

He did an awesome remake of tempest and he has all those llama games that are incredibly fun and addictive

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
It better be -- I bought a Vita just in anticipation of this game. I'll also get around to downloading the TPA tables on it sometime I suppose.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
For Android, there are plenty of choices.

Sine Mora - XBox owners will know this one.

PS3 owners know it as well. :)
Sony also gave away this excellent shooter (sorry, the term "Shmup" never appealed to me) to PSN Plus users to play on the PS Vita and it looks amazing on the OLED screen.

I'm a fan of many shooters,but here are some personal faves and the formats I played them on the most:

Arcade - Asteroids, Galaga, Gradius, 1942
VCS + CV - Chopper Command, River Raid, Scramble, Time Pilot, Defender, Cosmic Avenger
NES - Life Force, Gradius, Varth (FC)
SMS - Phantasy Zone, R-Type, Choplifter, Space Harrier
DC - Ikaruga, Border Down, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Psyvariar, Gunbird 2
TG16 - Lords of Thunder, Blazing Lasers, Gate of Thunder
GEN - Truxton, Forgotten Worlds, Insector X, Phelios, Thunder Force 2 & 3, Whiprush
Sega-CD - Silpheed, Soulstar, Panorama Cotton, Soul-Feace, Keio Flying Squadron
Neo•Geo - Viewpoint, Last Resort, Alpha Mission II, Strikers 1945, Last Hope
SNES - U.N. Squadron, Parodius, Biometal, Sexy Parodius (SFC), Gradius III, Super R-Type, Dropzone (SFC)
PS1 - In the Hunt, Raystorm, Einhander, Raiden Project, Philosoma, Thunder Force V
SAT - Rayforce, Radient Silvergun, Terra Cresta 3D, Batsugun
DC - Ikaruga, Border Down, Mars Matrix, Zero Gunner 2, Psyvariar 2
PS2 - R-Type Final, Dragon Blaze, Gradius 3 & 4
PS3 - Sine Mora (3D), Beat Hazard Ultra, Soldner X, Soldner X 2, Super StarDust HD (3D), Capcom Arcade Cabinet, Under Defeat HD Deluxe, 1942: Joint Strike, Everyday Shooter, Gatling Gears, Gravity Crush, PixelJunk Shooter
PSP - Gradius Colection, Prodius Collection,
3DS - X-Scape, Nano Assault, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions, Kokuga
I'm sure there are many more, but I'm tired of listing them. :p

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I don't remember the name of it but I remember playing one that had the Moai(I think that's how it's spelled) shooting froot loops at you while flying through space. I had fun with some friends on that one.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I don't remember the name of it but I remember playing one that had the Moai(I think that's how it's spelled) shooting froot loops at you while flying through space. I had fun with some friends on that one.

Haha Froot Loops! :)
Well, that would be a Gradius title, but there are a few with the dudes in it. Actually they are in Parodius too. I'd be willing to guess that it's Gradius III that you are thinking of.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts