Should FarSight reset the leaderboards?

Should FarSight reset the scoreboards?

• Yes reset all the scoreboards now - one time only

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Reset the scoreboards annually.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Leave the scoreboards alone.

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Only reset once all hacks removed, remove obvious hacked scores now.

Votes: 23 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Also note: most DMD-era machines reset their high score lists every 2000-3000 games. So a yearly reset might even be "more realistic".

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
with more modern games there is alot you can do with the audit but my system 11 games allow you to choose how many games played before a rest.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
I don't like the poll options. I want them to remove obviously hacked scores, and that's all. no need for a full reset.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
with more modern games there is alot you can do with the audit but my system 11 games allow you to choose how many games played before a rest.

When I saw that Pro tables included the Audit menus, I was very excited, thinking that I can tap into all the stats that the table collects about % shots successful for jackpot, average length of game, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like TPA's emulation of table ROMs wipes those stats whenever you exit the table. Very disappointed.

Edit: My wrong! As pointed out by others, Pro games are recorded in the stats. Never mind...

Last edited:
N

netizen

When I saw that Pro tables included the Audit menus, I was very excited, thinking that I can tap into all the stats that the table collects about % shots successful for jackpot, average length of game, etc.

Unfortunately, it looks like TPA's emulation of table ROMs wipes those stats whenever you exit the table. Very disappointed.

They should be collected for every game you play with the operators menu turned on

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012

It is a bummer that this stuff gets wiped after every exit. I only have 1 PRO version, but even things like being catapult champ or mosh pit champ on MM and MB get wiped every time, which completely eliminates the joy of getting those. It's because the rom starts fresh on boot up. FS obviously didn't install the battery pack that keeps these scores in the game's memory! One of those quirks of emulation that needs, if possible, some extra code written to store those.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
With the changes in physics and scoring exploit bugs that have been removed the leader boards should be reset at least once a year to reflect the current physics engine.

Some of the scores that were achieved might not be able to be achieved as easily anymore and that could be inspiring or egging people on to find exploits/hacks for their scores. Human behaviour is weird like that.

I agree. I wish I could also change my vote to reset annually. I wish I had thought of that before I voted.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I agree. I wish I could also change my vote to reset annually. I wish I had thought of that before I voted.

Create two dummy forum accts, use both to vote for "reset annually". There, mathematically, it's as if you had voted for that in the first place.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
It is a bummer that this stuff gets wiped after every exit. I only have 1 PRO version, but even things like being catapult champ or mosh pit champ on MM and MB get wiped every time, which completely eliminates the joy of getting those. It's because the rom starts fresh on boot up. FS obviously didn't install the battery pack that keeps these scores in the game's memory! One of those quirks of emulation that needs, if possible, some extra code written to store those.
This Op Mode sub-discussion should maybe be in a separate thread, cause I don't want it to get lost in the LB reset thread.

But, since there's this small group standing here talkin' about it, I'll chip in.

I'm very disappointed in the Pro Menu Operator Mode implementation as well. Prior to the current TCP/WW pack, I had only one Pro upgrade (TotAN) and after being unimpressed with it I resolved to not buy more Pro tables. But I couldn't resist the "bonus Pro table" in the current pack and bought it. No more, at least until these issues are addressed:

1 - If you turn on Op Mode you get the "Changing any Operator's Menu option from the default settings will not allow you to achieve any goals, high scores, or post the to the Leaderboards" warning. However, local high scores still post. And your scores aren't posted to the Leaderboards even if you don't change any settings; playing the game with Op Mode on is enough.

2 - What SYT said above.

3 -
They should be collected for every game you play with the operators menu turned on
That's the way it currently behaves, yes. However, they (game stats) *should* be collected for every game you play regardless of the Op Mode status.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It doesn't get wiped. You only think it does because each time you re-enter from the main menu the table starts in normal mode. If you go into Pro mode the secondary scores should reappear. I have a 535M "LITZ Champion" score that has persisted through quite a number of beta installs, updates, restores, and more.

That's the way it currently behaves, yes. However, they (game stats) *should* be collected for every game you play regardless of the Op Mode status.
The Pro version of a table and its normal version are considered two separate tables internally. Otherwise the ROM reset that affects the normal table every time you enter from the menu would obliterate the saved settings on the Pro table as well. So the Pro table's audits only consider games played in Pro mode.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Ack, I just went into ScSt which I know I've played Pro games, and sure enough, there are my stats! Hurray! THanks for clarifying. Now, back to the thread.

Another idea regarding leaderboard resets is to eliminate showing the "all-time" leaderboard. This way, the leaderboard would just cycle thru the "weekly" and "monthly" listings.

Edit: Come to think of it, this might be the simplest solution, as nothing is really getting "reset" at the server side. In the next client app build, just eliminate the showing of the "all-time" listing, make the "monthly" or "weekly" the default visible listing, and to the users, the all-time listing is gone.

Meanwhile, if somehow a magical technology should come along that could detect which all-time- score is hacked and which one is legit, then, they still have all the scores at the server side.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
There's historical accuracy in resetting the scores also. The arcade that was in the town next to mine when I was growing up used to reset all high scores before they opened on the first day of each month. It kept interest up and certainly increased business for them at the beginning of every month!

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
People have suggested resetting annually, and also eliminating the All-time leaderboard, so how about adding a Yearly filter to the existing Monthly and Weekly options in place of All-Time? That would fit well with the sports analogy of having a fresh slate each "season".

If they really wanted to be fancy about it they could record the top 100 or 1000 scores each year for posterity and post the static list to a web page.. or even just on this forum.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
High Scores on IRL tables can be reset at a certain frequency (certain amount of plays). I like this idea adapted for online leaderboards.

For example, hacking leaderboards will become less attractive if hackers know their bogus scores will just disappear at the beginning of each calendar season (that is, four times a year).

Give folks the opportunity to get that buzz you get by getting to the top of the leaderboards. Current leaderboards make that thrill impossible for most casual players.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.