Should FS go after the Spider-man table (Stern) before Sony loses the license??

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
As title really, should FS make an attempt at some point within the next year to go after the Stern Spider-man table before the license goes back to Disney and then finishing ANY chance of the table coming to TPA??

I know the table isnt the first table that comes to mind when thinking of the next KS but now is the best time to get it when its in the Sony house cos as soon as Disney gets it the KS value would probably triple!!?

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
As title really, should FS make an attempt at some point within the next year to go after the Stern Spider-man table before the license goes back to Disney and then finishing ANY chance of the table coming to TPA??

I know the table isnt the first table that comes to mind when thinking of the next KS but now is the best time to get it when its in the Sony house cos as soon as Disney gets it the KS value would probably triple!!?

It's a moot point until TPA can handle emulating the S.A.M. system,I would say.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Doesn't Zen hold the license for Spider-Man pinball, along with (too many) other Marvel pin tables?

I'm a little burned out on those, and monster tables. I'm still hopeful that Farsight will realize so many people want them to Kickstart
a Simpsons double pack.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Doesn't Zen hold the license for Spider-Man pinball, along with (too many) other Marvel pin tables?

I'm a little burned out on those, and monster tables. I'm still hopeful that Farsight will realize so many people want them to Kickstart
a Simpsons double pack.

Yes and No. They hold the license to make original games but they are forbidden from re-creating the pyhsical Stern game.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
They would still need to negotiate with Disney. While sony has the license to make the Spider-Man films, Disney/Marvel still owns the name.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I would love most all of the modern Stern Table yet it would a licensing Nightmare. If you thought Adams family was tough. All of Sterns tables I would love to see in TPA. Spiderman is a great table so is Iron Man, Tron, Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers. Heck I would Love LORD OF THE RINGS even more. My favorite modern stern. X-men is good too I thought.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
A few reasons why this won't happen:

1. They would still need to barter with Disney, they can't just go through Sony.
2. It's Spider-man. That will cost a lot of money.
3. SAM emulation is a no-go just now.
4. I still think that Disney wouldn't see the need to give Farsight the license with Marvel Pinball doing so well.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I'm still hopeful that Farsight will realize so many people want them to Kickstart a Simpsons double pack.

This makes no business sense. Doing both Simpsons tables is twice the work of one, but has no chance of coming anywhere near doubling the sales.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
This makes no business sense. Doing both Simpsons tables is twice the work of one, but has no chance of coming anywhere near doubling the sales.

Well i think it more to do with that the Data East table would never get the KS backing, where as the Stern table probably would hit its KS target. By doing both at the same time then gives us a chance to play the Data East table in TPA which otherwise will probably never happen!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

I think you underestimate how fanatic Simpsons fans can be.

There are people who will buy it simply because it has the Simpsons name attached to it.
Looking at the Addams Family Pinball Kickstarter.. They will only get fans of the pinball table. Well maybe there are 5 fans of the TV show or the movies who may stumble upon it.

If Farsight Kickstarts The Simpsons tables it will be posted on every major Simpsons forum and that would be a great thing for business.

Look how well Konami's Simpsons Arcade release on PSN/XBL sold. It's admittedly an average game at best, with no original Simpsons voices and Simspons fans ATE IT UP! It was a top ten selling PSN game for 4 weeks straight.

I think it would have no trouble raising the funds.

Well i think it more to do with that the Data East table would never get the KS backing, where as the Stern table probably would hit its KS target. By doing both at the same time then gives us a chance to play the Data East table in TPA which otherwise will probably never happen!

I actually prefer the Data East table. It has all of the best Simpsons references. I played that one so much and would love to play it again on here. I nearly bought the machine back in 2002, but it's a good thing I didn't because I found out the seller was scamming people. :p

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013

There are people who will buy it simply because it has the Simpsons name attached to it.

This is all true -- but it's all covered by TSPP. The DE table isn't going to attract any significant amount of purchases that TSPP alone won't. Kickstarting TSPP makes perfect sense, but dragging along the DE machine doubles the work and cost for what won't be anywhere near double the sales.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
This is all true -- but it's all covered by TSPP. The DE table isn't going to attract any significant amount of purchases that TSPP alone won't. Kickstarting TSPP makes perfect sense, but dragging along the DE machine doubles the work and cost for what won't be anywhere near double the sales.

It might not match the sales of TSPP, but it would still be one of the better-selling tables based on the brand recognition aqlone. It won't double the cost as they could factor both machines into the license.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
It's not going to happen, unfortunately. I adore the table as well. One of Steve Ritchie's best (yes, I went there).

Yeah unfortunately I don't think so either, but none the less I think they should try.
Don't known why this thread started being about Simpsons all of a sudden. The question is should farsight go after spidey.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Looking at the Addams Family Pinball Kickstarter.. They will only get fans of the pinball table. Well maybe there are 5 fans of the TV show or the movies who may stumble upon it.

If Farsight Kickstarts The Simpsons tables it will be posted on every major Simpsons forum and that would be a great thing for business.

Look how well Konami's Simpsons Arcade release on PSN/XBL sold. It's admittedly an average game at best, with no original Simpsons voices and Simspons fans ATE IT UP! It was a top ten selling PSN game for 4 weeks straight.

I think it would have no trouble raising the funds.

I actually prefer the Data East table. It has all of the best Simpsons references. I played that one so much and would love to play it again on here. I nearly bought the machine back in 2002, but it's a good thing I didn't because I found out the seller was scamming people. :p

You would have probably been stuck with a "Sempsuns" bootleg table lol......

FarSight definitely needs to get some Kickstarter momemtum going again. TAF is a start, but the question remains of how many people would willingly contribute. Given all of the problems with people trying (and failing) to claim rewards, the labyrinthine efforts needed to even get tables on some consoles, and the fact that the T2 KS just sqeaked by, I wonder if any future KS campaigns FS starts will be supported. BTW, I do plan on supporting TAF.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Well, I don't believe it will double the licensing fee.
I'm sure they could work out a better deal with Fox/Gracie Films/actor's voices to gain the rights to two Simpsons pinball tables rather than doing them separately.
The 1991 Data East table is also much simpler in design than many others of it's time.

The bottom line is Farsight doesn't have a single fun, cartoon based table and way too many monster/macabre tables IMO. TAF just adds to the latter. Though, I'm sure it will sell because it's on so many Top 10 lists.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I think what the DE Simpsons table has over TSPP is the nostalgia. It was made in the early 90s, when the Simpsons was in its prime, and will invoke the nostalgia of Simpsons fans from that era. TSPP is a "modern" Simpsons themed pin, which won't invoke the fuzzy 90s memories as much.

TSPP is a much better pin. But DE Simpsons has the nostalgia of a time when the Simpsons was... well, actually good.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I think what the DE Simpsons table has over TSPP is the nostalgia. It was made in the early 90s, when the Simpsons was in its prime, and will invoke the nostalgia of Simpsons fans from that era. TSPP is a "modern" Simpsons themed pin, which won't invoke the fuzzy 90s memories as much.
It was made in the early 90s, meaning only the first two or three seasons had aired, and a lot of the beloved characters hadn't been introduced yet. TSPP includes many characters, old and new. Pretty much any characters voiced by Nancy Cartwright, Dan Castellano, and Hank Azaria are in the Stern pin, but sadly any characters voiced by other actors, so you won't hear Marge, Lisa, Burns and Smithers, Otto, and the others.
However, FS did strike a deal with Elvira for both tables, so it is possible they could get a bulk discount on the licenses.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts