Should tournaments use BEST score or LAST score?

Should tournaments use BEST score or LAST score?

• Use BEST score. I always want credit for my high score on each table.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Use LAST score. Having a little risk when trying to improve my score spices it up.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • I'd like some of each. Some tournaments should use BEST score, some should use LAST score.

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think last or as [MENTION=152]Sean DonCarlos[/MENTION] said. Papa tourney structure anything to discourage grinding a high score.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
All sort of tournaments may be mixed. Time limited, best score, last score, only one ball game, no time limited, 4 tables, 8 tables, play all tables only once before you can retry any again. Etc.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I still want the PAPA qualifying style scoring.

(For those unfamiliar: In PAPA qualifying style, you play each machine in a set once. After the end of the set, you can then accept or reject your scores, but you have to do it all or nothing - you can't pick and choose. You can repeat this process as many times as you like, but always replacing all your scores at the end of a set or replacing none of them.

The objective of this style is to reward consistently good play across a variety of machines, while eliminating the possibility of grinding table A until a good score is achieved, then table B and so on. It also emphasizes skill over amount of free time, as it is nearly impossible for a lesser-skilled player to string together enough consecutive above-average games necessary to "punch above his weight" no matter how much he grinds.)

I had no idea - that is a fantastic system!

whoozwah

Oct 30, 2014
I think last score is a better option. It encourages you to become a consistently better player moreso than using best score. With best score you can just spam a table until you have a good game. With last score you have to be confident in the score that you put up.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I think last score is a better option. It encourages you to become a consistently better player moreso than using best score. With best score you can just spam a table until you have a good game. With last score you have to be confident in the score that you put up.

+1.

And it would add some strategy (currently, it's just to wait the last day / last hours of the tournament to put a good score). With the last score, it will be better to put a good score as soon as you can.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I agree that tournaments should have different ROM settings.

Tournament mode should be ON, and extra balls should be off.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts