Shutyertrap's Best, Better, Worst Movies of 2015

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As I do every year, all the "new to me" movies I watched in 2015. Asterisks by a title means I saw it in the theater (there are 11). Only saw 44 compared to the 80 of 2014. Guessing that had to do with not having the free Cinemax this year. Of course that meant I had to be a little choosier with what I rented*, which lead to a lot less dreck. So enjoy the lists. By now you shouldn't be surprised by my taste in entertainment. I've already got a DVR full of movies I should have gotten to but didn't that will pop up next year this time.

*I get free RedBox rentals all the time. They send me notices via email and text for 'rent one get one free', but the code works for one without having to rent another! Just sayin', takes the sting off of renting something you may not have otherwise.

Best:

Mad Max: Fury Road*
Ex Machina
Nightcrawler
The Martian*
Whiplash
Inside Out*
Star Wars: The Force Awakens*

As I knew last year when I put the trailers in my Best list, Mad Max was my fave film of the year. It absolutely did not disappoint me and was everything I could want from an action movie. I know some people complain at the lack of story, but that’s like asking AC/DC to play more than 3 chords. It did what it did better than any other, plus for those like me who like ‘world builder’ movies, it sparked my imagination for stories not told.

Ex Machina was wonderful small sci-fi, Nightcrawler should have won Jake some awards, The Martian was unexpectedly funny on top of being smart, Whiplash gave me that Rocky feeling, Inside Out should probably have its own college course for child psychology majors.

And then there’s Star Wars. I wasn’t excited for it. I’d become entirely jaded. Within 10 minutes, I felt that old magic. This was what I grew up loving from ages 5-12. I’m not raving about it, but I also can’t shake it. It reopened the door, and now I’m once again looking forward to the next. That’s what earned it a spot on this list.

Better:

Kingsman: The Secret Service*
Furious 7*
The Avengers: Age of Ultron*
Minions*
Spy
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2*
Mission: Impossibe – Rogue Nation

No particular order for these other than the order I saw ‘em in. Kingsman could have made the ‘best’ list, but the heads-a-poppin’ scene was tonally wrong. Everything else (but Spy) was enjoyable as expected but did nothing new. I hated the poster and trailer, for Spy. I don’t think Melissa McCarthy is all that funny, as too much of her humor seems to derive from her being annoying or incompetent. So imagine my surprise at the movie where she knows her stuff and none of the jokes are at her expense.

Worst:

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Jupiter Ascending
Terminator: Genisys
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

First off, Terminator is not on here for the story. Instead it’s because of the terrible action sequences that were criminally boring. And why is that? Too much CG, no real stunts. The exact opposite of Mad Max. Boring action is actually what landed every one of these movies on this list. Well, TMNT had a host of other problems, not like I’m shocked by that. These all just landed with a thud. I had high hopes for Jupiter Ascending, but knew I was in trouble when the big jet boot scene around Chicago failed to do anything for me. This coming from a guy who’s liked all the Wachowski’s stuff. None of these made me angry like movies in past years, and every one of them had huge red flags warning against them before I watched. Oh well.

Rest:

Horrible Bosses 2
Fury
The Maze Runner
Let’s Be Cops
Hercules
Lucy
Sex Tape
Maleficent
A Million Ways to Die in the West
Neighbors
Draft Day
The Face of Love
The Book of Life
Top Five
Blackhat
Inherent Vice
SpongeBob: Sponge Out of Water*
Chappie
It Follows
Pitch Perfect 2
Police Story: Lockdown
Jurassic World*
Ant-Man
Goosebumps*
Spectre*

Here’s a trend I don’t like…thinking your movie is a franchise before the audience demands it be one. Don’t end your movie essentially saying “but that’s a story for next time”. You can do that after the first movie, that’s it! Also, for as much hype It Follows got, I came to this realization. Horror fans are so used to being shoveled piles of crap to watch, that when a mediocre one with a novel idea comes along, they fall over themselves thinking it’s fantastic. Sorry, it was just okay. And that’s pretty much the story with this whole list. I was entertained in one way or another while watching, and then the movie ended. A few could have landed on the ‘better’ list, a few could have wound up on the ‘worst’. As I don’t compile the lists until the last few days of the year, a lot of what lands ‘em here is my just having no lingering opinion about them one way or the other.

SPECIAL AWARDS 2015

Movie I knew would suck but I watched anyways: Hercules
Movie I thought would suck but didn’t: Spy
Movie I regret paying for: SpongeBob (I did it for the kid!)
The “curse you shakey-cam!” award: This spot reserved for next year’s Bourne movie
The “maybe I just don’t get it” award: It Follows
Movie I’m glad I turned off 30 minutes into: I swear there was one, but can’t remember!
Movie I wish I’d turned off but didn’t: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Movie I could have immediately watched a 2nd time: Mad Max, Star Wars
The “why did you have to remake that?” award: Poltergeist (even though I didn’t see it, I just know)
The “well that was depressing” award: The Face of Love (R.I.P. Robin Williams, pleasure working with you)
The “you’re not a franchise yet” award: The Maze Runner, Maleficent, Hercules

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
I seem to be the only person who didn't think Mad Max Fury Road was all that. I must have missed something as to me it was a lets go here, oh, let's go back movie. Visually though, a corker. And agree totally with the real v CGI point.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I seem to be the only person who didn't think Mad Max Fury Road was all that. I must have missed something as to me it was a lets go here, oh, let's go back movie. Visually though, a corker. And agree totally with the real v CGI point.

The there and back critique is what I tend to hear from those I personally know that didn't think there was anything there to the movie. A lot of those same people tend to love dialogue heavy movies, whereas I am someone that gleans a lot off of visual cues. For example, in Furiosa's cab, the roof is stamped with Immortan Joe's logo. That little detail I can run with, whether it shows his dominance, her allegiance, how it's him essentially writing Andy on the bottom of Cowboy Woody's foot, all sorts. To me, everything we are shown on screen has a deeper story. Look at how the War Boys each have a unique steering wheel. Notice each vehicle is different, having different purpose, what it reflects about the driver. When they drive through the bog, and there is a 4 second flash of people on stilts navigating it, that got me excited. Like I said, it's world building, and that tells me as much a story as any dialogue.

I also have heard people say they got bored with the chase. I looked at each wave as different story beats. The capture of Max, him being an animal escaping his cage, Furiosa being trapped within supposed elevated freedom, and on and on and on. Each smaller chase moment filled in more of the story. When I first saw the Doof Warrior (the guitar guy), I just thought it looked cool. But then I noticed how he never comes off the bungies. He sleeps there, he plays the troops forward, and he even fights. What kind of conditions does a person live through that makes this a valid option?

I watch enough vacuous action movies with 'stories' that are so inane you realize they were just looking for a way to link one action set piece to another. Mad Max manages a story without trying to tell one. It's made much in the same vane as Conan the Barbarian, with very little exposition. It's not trying to be Jason Bourne. That's why I made my analogy to AC/DC. If I want short, 3 minute hard rocking songs, they did it better than most. Should they be criticized for not having power ballads, monster jam moments, or virtuoso guitar solos? Nope.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
The there and back critique is what I tend to hear from those I personally know that didn't think there was anything there to the movie. A lot of those same people tend to love dialogue heavy movies, whereas I am someone that gleans a lot off of visual cues. For example, in Furiosa's cab, the roof is stamped with Immortan Joe's logo. That little detail I can run with, whether it shows his dominance, her allegiance, how it's him essentially writing Andy on the bottom of Cowboy Woody's foot, all sorts. To me, everything we are shown on screen has a deeper story. Look at how the War Boys each have a unique steering wheel. Notice each vehicle is different, having different purpose, what it reflects about the driver. When they drive through the bog, and there is a 4 second flash of people on stilts navigating it, that got me excited. Like I said, it's world building, and that tells me as much a story as any dialogue.

I also have heard people say they got bored with the chase. I looked at each wave as different story beats. The capture of Max, him being an animal escaping his cage, Furiosa being trapped within supposed elevated freedom, and on and on and on. Each smaller chase moment filled in more of the story. When I first saw the Doof Warrior (the guitar guy), I just thought it looked cool. But then I noticed how he never comes off the bungies. He sleeps there, he plays the troops forward, and he even fights. What kind of conditions does a person live through that makes this a valid option?

I watch enough vacuous action movies with 'stories' that are so inane you realize they were just looking for a way to link one action set piece to another. Mad Max manages a story without trying to tell one. It's made much in the same vane as Conan the Barbarian, with very little exposition. It's not trying to be Jason Bourne. That's why I made my analogy to AC/DC. If I want short, 3 minute hard rocking songs, they did it better than most. Should they be criticized for not having power ballads, monster jam moments, or virtuoso guitar solos? Nope.

Got to agree SYT, I think it's one of those that really does benefit from a second cinema visit. Not many do or, are worth it. Maybe a lot too is lost on the small screen. I seem to remember you saying it was a big screen job.

Totally forgot about that guitar guy, which illustrates that point really...

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
As last year I like reading your list and have to say that my favourites are again quite similar. Have yet to watch the Martian, dunno if I will watch whiplash, not too much into that kind of story normally.
Besides Mad Max being obviously great I also had no defined expectations about star wars and, as you said, I felt the old magic. First I feared it was a bit too nostalgic but in the end it all felt right!
Biggest surprise for me was nightcrawler. Despite all the good reviews I was so bored when I saw the trailer and thought it was just some lame reality TV satire something (nothing can beat "man bites dog" in that department).
But it was all about this really creepy and fascinating character. The acting blew me away. Also nice visuals.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Movie I was most disappointed with: tie between Age Of Ultron and Spectre.
Movie I liked more than I thought I would: Cinderella
Star Wars movie of the year: The Force Awakens
Also seen: Minions, Ant Man, Inside Out, The Hobbit: Battle Of The Five Armies
Movie I wish I'd seen: Mad Max

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Some of my thoughts from the year.

Jurassic World - crap with great special effects
Spectre - good, not Skyfall good, but good
Mad Max Fury Road - I was shocked how much I loved it

Hoping to see the new Star Wars flick in the next week or so. Heard good things, but after the last few I'm a bit cautious.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Some of my thoughts from the year.

Jurassic World - crap with great special effects
Spectre - good, not Skyfall good, but good
Mad Max Fury Road - I was shocked how much I loved it

Hoping to see the new Star Wars flick in the next week or so. Heard good things, but after the last few I'm a bit cautious.

Going in cautious is a good plan. Results may vary.

I didn't think the effects were even that good with Jurassic World. Raptors looked better in the original. I liked Spectre better than Skyfall if only for the fact it had a proper larger scale climax. That being said, Daniel Craig seemed to be purely going through the motions.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I thought Hateful 8 was absolutely awesome. See it in 70mm if you can. I didn't get to see too many movies this year, personally, but I thought it was the best one I did see. Mad Max was definitely up there as well!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Creed was another good movie from 2015. Check it out, especially if you enjoyed Rocky back in the day.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hoping to see Hateful 8 in 70mm this week. Creed fell through the cracks but I'll totally check it out on video. Also looking forward to Revenent.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
creed was pretty good fan service except the extremely forced "victory" training scene, there is one on the steps but this one has weirdos posing like a bad magic mike on bikes and the main dude looks constipated. other than that it was pretty good.

still getting around to ughhh inglorious bastards in terms of tarintino stuff

I cant say i watched many good movies last year.

some great tv with the likes of mr robot

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
creed was pretty good fan service except the extremely forced "victory" training scene, there is one on the steps but this one has weirdos posing like a bad magic mike on bikes and the main dude looks constipated. other than that it was pretty good.

still getting around to ughhh inglorious bastards in terms of tarintino stuff

I cant say i watched many good movies last year.

some great tv with the likes of mr robot

You spoiled the constipation scene! :D

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts