'Similar tables' threads...

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
Just a random idea...

There seems to be a 'strategies and tactics' thread in just about every table specific forum.

It might be quite useful for newbies if there were a 'Similar tables' thread in each one too, for people to try to arrive at some kind of consensus on what tables have the same 'feel', and why. It can be a bit overwhelming having so many tables to choose from at first, and if you've found a few you like, a central place to collect clues about what to try next would be welcome.

I might start one or two, but I've not got enough experience to confidently say much beyond the obvious, so I'm throwing this out there as a suggestion in case anyone more knowledgeable thinks it might be interesting / helpful...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I'll go!

Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Cactus Canyon. All have very similar layouts with very similar rules.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'll go!

Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, Cactus Canyon. All have very similar layouts with very similar rules.

I wouldn't put Cactus Canyon in that list - the rules are quite different, and I wouldn't say the layout is overly similar either. The gold mine is more a hindrance than the main thing to shoot for - multiball starts too easy and doesn't give you much points.

You can often spot similarities from the designer. For example, see any tables that have two separate bumper clusters (6 in total)? Ripleys and Whirlwind? Both Pat Lawlor. Lots of cellar holes near the bottom of the playfield - Funhouse, Whirlwind, TZ? Lawlor again. Crazy OTT ramp paths and simple rulesets - Elviras and White Water? Dennis Nordman. Ball flowing around the table like water? Steve Ritchie. Balls incredibly easy to trap from the inlane/ramp - Tee'd Off and Cue Ball Wizard? Both... that Gottlieb guy.

Also, George Gomez only has one pin in TPA but his pins often involve forming a team (MB, LOTR. Avengers). And the classic example is that AFM and MM have almost exactly the same playfield, and they're both by the same designer - his only two machines, actually.

It's crazy the number of ideas creators reuse, but it's nice as it gives them their own signature features.

Last edited:

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I would put Monster Bash in the same category as Attack from Mars and Medieval Madness. They all have two ramps, a central target and a hole that gives out goodies (specifically the extra balls).

Lawlor tables are so/too similar that you can almost smell the similarities. Just looking at Monopoly when I first played it, I knew who designed it.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I'll go!

I wouldn't put Cactus Canyon in that list - the rules are quite different, and I wouldn't say the layout is overly similar either. The gold mine is more a hindrance than the main thing to shoot for - multiball starts too easy and doesn't give you much points.

You can often spot similarities from the designer. For example, see any tables that have two separate bumper clusters (6 in total)? Ripleys and Whirlwind? Both Pat Lawlor. Lots of cellar holes near the bottom of the playfield - Funhouse, Whirlwind, TZ? Lawlor again. Crazy OTT ramp paths and simple rulesets - Elviras and White Water? Dennis Nordman. Ball flowing around the table like water? Steve Ritchie. Balls incredibly easy to trap from the inlane/ramp - Tee'd Off and Cue Ball Wizard? Both... that Gottlieb guy.

It's crazy the number of ideas creators reuse, but it's nice as it gives them their own signature features.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
regular poker card deck have same 52 cards, but you can play many different games with it, as you can play different games with same set of flippers, ramps, bumpers, targets and ball of course. =)

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
I guess this proves my point, different things stand out to different players, and there's enough disagreement to warrant discussion... :D

Is Tee'd Off similar to No Good Gophers? It might be if you like golf themes, otherwise probably not.

I might start with Centaur...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I wouldn't put Cactus Canyon in that list - the rules are quite different, and I wouldn't say the layout is overly similar either.

-They both have "combo" goals that's acquired the same way.
-"Stampede" is activated by hitting all ramps and loops 3 times just like "Total Annihilation"
-The "Gold Mine" is pretty much in the same location as the "lock" in AFM, and is activated the same way. After the first lock, just fill it up for the 1st multiball, afterwards you have to activate the lock for each ball.

Then I would throw in the fan layout and the multiple goals to acquire in order to reach the wizard mode, but then again, a lot of tables have that.

But then having the pop up bad guys and Polly Peril really sets the 2 apart from there on don't it. They may not be exactly the same, but I did get a major AFM vibe the first time I played CC. AFM is vastly superior tho'.

Last edited:

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Monster Bash and Cactus Canyon are actually the similar pair, and distinct from AFM/MM. They all have the basic principle of completing each shot three times to qualify for something, but AFM/MM don't do anything with each individual shot (just give a generic hurryup), while MB and CC start modes that you can complete for extra reward.

Yeah, every Lawlor game is similar. That list of quick-to-start modes culminating in a wizard award, at least one upper flipper, a shot through the bumpers, some kind of quick lesser-scoring multiball, inlanes that light something for a rolling shot, no video mode, no above-the-bumper rollovers so bonus X from some other means. Guy could use a bit of expansion of his range. :)

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts