So excited for the PC STEAM release!! Just purchased a new monitor for THIS GAME!

Deltaechoe

Aug 30, 2013
Making assumptions is a dangerous thing, I'm kind of hoping to get an answer directly from FarSight.

For a true cabinet build, the program will require rotated main screen with very specific camera angles and rendering. It also would need multiple monitor support, with back-glass, DMD support (preferably both interfaces for real DMD displays and virtual video version) as well as support for various physical hardware inputs and outputs.

I've purchased absolutely everything possible as iOS versions, both to play and to show my support.
I'll do the same for versions that will be usable (even if not at first) for a cabinet built.

I'm merely trying to avoid dropping an extra $100 or so on a non-upgradable PC version. I'd rather put that toward the physical hardware for an eventual cabinet build.
If it's going to be the same version or a fture upgrade, it becomes a non-issue.

I would think that it is an easy question, but only FarSight can provide a definitive answer to it.

Never said it would be ideal, just that you could probably do it. If you wanted a full cabinet then yes you would have to write the program to handle separate screens properly, properly integrate the user input devices (tilt bob, plunger, buttons, ect) and what not. I just said you probably wouldln't HAVE TO buy them again

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Never said it would be ideal, just that you could probably do it. If you wanted a full cabinet then yes you would have to write the program to handle separate screens properly, properly integrate the user input devices (tilt bob, plunger, buttons, ect) and what not. I just said you probably wouldln't HAVE TO buy them again

Having those features is pretty much required if you want to do a cabinet build.
That's the point.

It's quite different than playing on a single-screen PC.
If that's all I was intereted in, it would also be a non-issue.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
The idea of a regular and a cabinet version being two completely different platforms is ridiculous, and I would not think of such a thing would exist. There are things called OPTIONS that can be changed to contour with the environment of the PC (cabinet or desktop) much like Zen Studios did with their game (though orientation is the only thing they have).

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
If you'll notice, there are currently regular and pro versions of the tables. The pro versions are options as well... at an extra cost to the consumer.

The features needed for a cabinet build are (from my personal point of view as a software engineer) most likely much more complicated than the current "pro" features.

I'm not here to discuss software design and implementation, although I could do so at a professional level. I've done so professionally for decades.

I'm not even here to discuss the pricing strategy that FarSight chooses to use for their "options".
The prices they select and the reasons behind them are effectively irrelevant to the simple questions I've asked. FarSight makes their decisions and the market either supports their decisions with sales or not.

I'd just like to know what the choices they've made are. Not to argue with anyone.

Last edited:

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
If you'll notice, there are currently regular and pro versions of the tables. The pro versions are options as well... at an extra cost to the consumer.

The features needed for a cabinet build are (from my personal point of view as a software engineer) most likely much more complicated than the current "pro" features.

I'm not here to discuss software design and implementation, although I could do so at a professional level. I've done so professionally for decades.

I'm not even here to discuss the pricing strategy that FarSight chooses to use for their "options".
The prices they select and the reasons behind them are effectively irrelevant to the simple questions I've asked. FarSight makes their decisions and the market either supports their decisions with sales or not.

I'd just like to know what the choices they've made are. Not to argue with anyone.

I don't know what their reasons are for considering a separate version. If it's not technical and they are considering monetizing it to recoup some of the development costs, maybe they could keep it within the same game, but add an extra "cabinet mode" pack that could be bought in order to unlock cabinet features. That way cabinet users who are excited and want to play now or people that don't have but may one day get a cabinet can buy the game at launch and upgrade later.

It would also be less confusing than having two separate versions. You know some people would inevitably buy the wrong one accidentally. I could also see there being issues with segmenting the market and community on Steam as well. It would be a shame if Steam saw it as two different titles and thus you couldn't compete for scores with friends on a different version or something.

But regardless, I do hope they announce their decision clearly before the game is launched.

N

netizen

Pricing is same as Mobile.

29.99 for Season packs
39.99 for Pro Season Packs
4.99 for Table Packs
7.99 for Pro Table Packs
3.99 for Pro Upgrades
Ripleys, Theater and Black Hole are 8.99
Tales Pro is free.
On Mobile:
Season pack was 39.99
pro season pack was 49.99
All other prices were the same

play store receipt said:
Season Two Pro Pack (Pinball Arcade) $51.37

Last edited:

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I don't know what their reasons are for considering a separate version.

Here's the thing... I don't know if they ARE considering a separate version or not.

Thus, my questions.

If it's not technical and they are considering monetizing it to recoup some of the development costs, maybe they could keep it within the same game, but add an extra "cabinet mode" pack that could be bought in order to unlock cabinet features. That way cabinet users who are excited and want to play now or people that don't have but may one day get a cabinet can buy the game at launch and upgrade later.

It would also be less confusing than having two separate versions. You know some people would inevitably buy the wrong one accidentally. I could also see there being issues with segmenting the market and community on Steam as well. It would be a shame if Steam saw it as two different titles and thus you couldn't compete for scores with friends on a different version or something.

But regardless, I do hope they announce their decision clearly before the game is launched.

I don't disagree with you on any of your points. I'd just like to know. Preferably in advance, rather than on release day.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Here's the thing... I don't know if they ARE considering a separate version or not.

A Farsight employee I spoke to at the Chicago Pinball Expo mentioned they weren't sure how they were going to do it and that it might be a separate version or something. I haven't seen any statements from Farsight online about it, though. To my knowledge, anything else is just speculation at this point. I probably wouldn't have even said anything to avoid spreading rumor about what they clearly haven't decided, but someone else posted something about it at some point.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Sorry for cranking the rumor mill, I just thought it was the most honest answer and at least worth mentioning considering the ramifications of the question. I really should troll less and pinball more ;)

That being said if you can get a nice cabinet built, it's more principle than anything at that point imho. 100$ won't even cover the chrome kit ;) and you can whip out a decent laptop hotel/party/kids game down the line....

I shuts up again!

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
In my opinion, if you're building a dedicated virtual pinball machine, a dedicated version of TPA that's purpose built for such a platform sounds more ideal than trying to shoe horn table support into the general online retail version of the game. It just seems to me that there'd be so much more STUFF you'd want in it, from the ability to do coin mechs and everything else. That's also stuff that I think would clutter up the general online retail version and confuse consumers who were just like 'NEAT. Pinball on Steam, I should try that. :3'. We're basically talking about a hobbiest version of the game afterall.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
In my opinion, if you're building a dedicated virtual pinball machine, a dedicated version of TPA that's purpose built for such a platform sounds more ideal than trying to shoe horn table support into the general online retail version of the game. It just seems to me that there'd be so much more STUFF you'd want in it, from the ability to do coin mechs and everything else. That's also stuff that I think would clutter up the general online retail version and confuse consumers who were just like 'NEAT. Pinball on Steam, I should try that. :3'. We're basically talking about a hobbiest version of the game afterall.

Ideally your right but the problem with that is the pincab market is so minute that it might not be cost effective to create a whole other build tree. You run the risk of the developer stopping support if the margins don't add up, which would be a shame for all of us. It might be better as DLC to the main game ie. 7.99 gets you cab mode for all your owned tables. Especially considering that regular users who have rotatable monitors (pretty common with dell monitors), might want to use the portrait feature.

ZEN pinball has it built in and it switches with the click of a button, so its definitely possible. I just hope FS considers Going the DLC route rather than a whole new app.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I just noticed 20 people reading this *PC* forum...
I think people are ready and raring to go! :)

..adding funds to Steam wallet as we speak!

Brian C Hayes

Jul 5, 2012
Do we have A rough idea of when its coming and will it support .... 1 screen portrait mode ? 2 screen & 3 screen

I already have a 32 inch verticle Hyperspin cabinet which plays Pinball FX2 really nicely and still plays Mame well, 1 screen potrait would be perfect

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
On Mobile:
Season pack was 39.99
pro season pack was 49.99
All other prices were the same

Sorry, I had it wrong. Season 1 is 29.99, Season 1 Pro 39.99. Season 2 is 39.99 and Season 2 pro is 49.99

I'm not sure how Cabinet support is going to be handled.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Sorry, I had it wrong. Season 1 is 29.99, Season 1 Pro 39.99. Season 2 is 39.99 and Season 2 pro is 49.99

I'm not sure how Cabinet support is going to be handled.

Although I have purchased PA on 3 platforms already and was ready to buy all tables on PC I will need to hold off until it is confirmed how cabinets are to be handled as I can't risk it be only offered in a separate product and not as a add-on to the standard PC version. I don't have an issue with it being something I should pay more for, but just can't buy everything twice again. Hopefully another Farsight employee can answer this.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
Although I have purchased PA on 3 platforms already and was ready to buy all tables on PC I will need to hold off until it is confirmed how cabinets are to be handled as I can't risk it be only offered in a separate product and not as a add-on to the standard PC version. I don't have an issue with it being something I should pay more for, but just can't buy everything twice again. Hopefully another Farsight employee can answer this.

Farsight has less than 5 days now to decide how it's going to be handled, or some of the most rabid fans just might hold off on our purchases till we can get an answer.

I know I will.

Mike, please put a bug in the ear of whomever it is that will make this decision. I'd like to see day one on Steam be a rousing (and profitable) success for FarSight.

infernogott

Apr 6, 2012
Wow this one came out of the blue. It didn't expect a release before christmas. Awesome! :D

Thinking about going pro for season 1.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.