So much for the Wii's "Greatness"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I liked Nintendo in the past. NES-SNES of course, but particularly during the N64 era, when there was a very small number of games, but some jewels in it (actually, all Nintendo and Rare games which were pure enjoyment and are still considered today as ones of the best games of all times).

Gamecube was ok, but Rare died (well, an empty studio sold to MS for 500M!), and Nintendo games began to become lazy (except F-Zero GX... but it's a Sega game :cool: ).

When the Wii arrived, I was pretty convinced: Wii Sports was fun in multiplayer (especially the Golf game, which is still very good in Wii Sports Resorts), the controls in Metroid Prime Corruption were so perfect and immersive, and Mario Galaxy was a pure chef-d'oeuvre of platform game.

And after that... nothing. Except crappy casual games. I'm OK with that, only if there is still games for "standard" videogame players (I don't like the term "Hardcore gamers". For me, COD or all these overrated games are not "hardcore". Shoot'em up, fighting games -two dying genres- are hardcore. ;))

I was definitely done with Nintendo when their big game for Christmas was... Wii Music. Yes, Wii Music. The shi**iest game ever.

I'm not surprised that the Wii U is a flop.

With the Wii, Nintendo has been innovative, and try something totally new... and risky.

With the Wii U, they thought: "Oh, let's put an ipad-like as a controller, and everybody will buy it. It's in the move." Wrong choice.

And there's no games. Lazy Mario games (almost an overdose)... and that's all.

Last edited:

PC.Doctor

Jul 22, 2013
I not saying the Wii U is for children only. It's just my view of the Wii U vs. the PS3 and the X360 (I basically assume gamers only play games like Battlefield and Call of Duty). I may not be a hardcore gamer, but I have a strong background in electronics technology. I'm just saying that the Wii U performs less than what the PS3 and the X360 perform.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
So why aren't children and tweens considered gamers?
Are you suggesting that gamers who chose a Nintendo system aren't gamers, but something inferior?
As someone who's been a gamer for 31 years, and has played the grand majority of consoles ever to exist, including a lot of really obscure ones, I'm leaning toward getting the Wii U over either of the current gen consoles. How does that make me less of a gamer? I like games. Mario games aren't for children, they are geared to all age groups. Zelda games are for all age groups. Just because something doesn't contain "mature" (generally blood and tits) content doesn't make it any less of a game. How are Metroid games any less for gamers than GTAV?

I can even name a game released exclusively for a Nintendo console that was later released an entire generation later for a Microsoft console that Microsoft felt the need to censor further.

Let's not forget that the Wii was also sold as a "health conscious" console at drug and health store chains, was endorsed by many healthy living organizations (for example Participaction here in Canada), and was frequently found in bars for Wii Bowling competitions and Nursing homes. How many consoles have actually tapped the 60+ year old market. Nintendo Wii sales dropped mainly because they simply ran out of people to sell them to(exaggeration).

Conker? One of my favorite games of all time. Even with the censorship it is out there. "I am the mighty poo, I'm going to throw my $H*# at you!" Eternal Darkness and the Metroid Prime series definitely have a more mature appeal to them and the Zelda game that was on the Gamecube/Wii definitely had a more realistic, violent feel to it with blood and everything.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Conker? One of my favorite games of all time. Even with the censorship it is out there. "I am the mighty poo, I'm going to throw my $H*# at you!" Eternal Darkness and the Metroid Prime series definitely have a more mature appeal to them and the Zelda game that was on the Gamecube/Wii definitely had a more realistic, violent feel to it with blood and everything.

Funny thing is that I bought a Wii because it was half the price of a set of game cube component cables. Gamecube in 480p actually looks better a lot of the time then the Xbox (original) at 480p.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
The Wii U has sold over 6 million units - over 33% more than the Xbox One and just 15% less than the PS4. It's a flop only by the ridiculous standard set by the Wii or PS2.

That said, it's not the system it should have been. It's underpowered for the era but hardly underpowered. It's just 360-level of power. Nice enough but not really next gen.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
what is this next gen marekting speak nubbub about anyway, im olaying nextgen 8-16bit homebrew titles with all modern sensiblities or just good old fashioned fun

but we can all agree without a good software libary the wii u will be very stale for for most genres, dont get me worng ive owned them all like a pokemon freak but the wiiu price tag and games dont appeal atm im mario karted out a really really zelda would sway me tho, mario ive had eokugh his feckin fat arse

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Why would someone who only owns a PS3 go out of their way to post this on wii u board?

I assumed the "My devices" was what you play TPA on, not every device you own. There isn't a Wii U version of TPA, so can't list that yet.

Illuminosopher

Apr 12, 2012
I assumed the "My devices" was what you play TPA on, not every device you own. There isn't a Wii U version of TPA, so can't list that yet.

even so it's still a useless and petty thing to do, it really seems to be only for the soul purpose of a console war mentality. In my opinion the only reason this person posted this is because they hate Nintendo and frankly I think hating something as frivolous as a gaming devise is useless and severs no purpose except to rally people of like minds to their cause or to anger people. It really has nothing to do with pinball.

For the record I also think this person might be Mike Morsee or whatever his name is who is constantly on Facebook hating on Nintendo.
also would it be fair of me to post on the Sony and Microsoft boards about how much cash they are loosing? because it's more than twice what Nintendo is loosing, Don't worry though i'm not going to do that it would be a waste of time.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Why would someone who only owns a PS3 go out of their way to post this on wii u board?

even so it's still a useless and petty thing to do, it really seems to be only for the soul purpose of a console war mentality. In my opinion the only reason this person posted this is because they hate Nintendo and frankly I think hating something as frivolous as a gaming devise is useless and severs no purpose except to rally people of like minds to their cause or to anger people. It really has nothing to do with pinball.

For the record I also think this person might be Mike Morsee or whatever his name is who is constantly on Facebook hating on Nintendo.
also would it be fair of me to post on the Sony and Microsoft boards about how much cash they are loosing? because it's more than twice what Nintendo is loosing, Don't worry though i'm not going to do that it would be a waste of time.

I'll be frank here. If it sparks decent discussion I don't care if someone owns the console or not, they should be able to post an opinion about it.

I don't feel like going back to the op and re reading it but if I recall correctly, you are correct in you assessment of the tone of it being kind of anti-Nintendo. But whatever I have found this to be an interesting thread nonetheless.

I really can't stand fanboyism, but it is fun to analyze a consoles' strengths and weaknesses. It's also pretty easy to tell the difference between people who do and don't know what they are talking about.

I personally think that while it's nowhere near as powerful as the current gen systems the Wii-U is a neat little piece of kit.

I do hope however that Nintendo learns next time around that people do care about graphics otherwise there would be no real purpose in completely designing a new console. The Gamecube is also an example of how Nintendo is highly capable of designing an efficient and low cost console that does in fact compete with the competition when it comes to visuals.

Personally I think Nintendo's biggest mistake was in trying to achieve such a low price point. They had to cut back on system power in order to package in a 100$ controller. Then they tried to tout the system off as if it was next gen, despite the lack of power. If the Wii-U had ushered in a nice leap in graphical capabilities...A very noticeable leap, that is and charged an extra 100$ per console, against virtually no "new console" competition, they might have faired a bit better. I say might because they would have been doing essentially what Sega had done with the dreamcast, however Nintendo is not known for marketing incompetence to the level that Sega achieved during that time either.

Illuminosopher

Apr 12, 2012
I'll be frank here. If it sparks decent discussion I don't care if someone owns the console or not, they should be able to post an opinion about it.

I don't feel like going back to the op and re reading it but if I recall correctly, you are correct in you assessment of the tone of it being kind of anti-Nintendo. But whatever I have found this to be an interesting thread nonetheless.

I really can't stand fanboyism, but it is fun to analyze a consoles' strengths and weaknesses. It's also pretty easy to tell the difference between people who do and don't know what they are talking about.

I personally think that while it's nowhere near as powerful as the current gen systems the Wii-U is a neat little piece of kit.

I do hope however that Nintendo learns next time around that people do care about graphics otherwise there would be no real purpose in completely designing a new console. The Gamecube is also an example of how Nintendo is highly capable of designing an efficient and low cost console that does in fact compete with the competition when it comes to visuals.

Personally I think Nintendo's biggest mistake was in trying to achieve such a low price point. They had to cut back on system power in order to package in a 100$ controller. Then they tried to tout the system off as if it was next gen, despite the lack of power. If the Wii-U had ushered in a nice leap in graphical capabilities...A very noticeable leap, that is and charged an extra 100$ per console, against virtually no "new console" competition, they might have faired a bit better. I say might because they would have been doing essentially what Sega had done with the dreamcast, however Nintendo is not known for marketing incompetence to the level that Sega achieved during that time either.

I see what you are saying but I still think it's a shame that people but so much stock in graphics when all that really matters is gameplay.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I see what you are saying but I still think it's a shame that people but so much stock in graphics when all that really matters is gameplay.

It is a shame. I think it's more a question of why should I buy a new machine for the same graphics and potentially the same game play.

But then again. I think the tablet controller is neat and has been used well in games like ray man. It's almost a guarantee that it will be used well in the new Zelda game and Nintendo uses it's own gimmick very well. My biggest peeve is the attitude that Nintendo is a kiddie console just because their first party games don't have a lot of blood and bouncing boobs.

Illuminosopher

Apr 12, 2012
It is a shame. I think it's more a question of why should I buy a new machine for the same graphics and potentially the same game play.

But then again. I think the tablet controller is neat and has been used well in games like ray man. It's almost a guarantee that it will be used well in the new Zelda game and Nintendo uses it's own gimmick very well. My biggest peeve is the attitude that Nintendo is a kiddie console just because their first party games don't have a lot of blood and bouncing boobs.

The problem I see with the newest consoles is that all they seem to have done is increase the quality of the textures and threw in a couple more enemy's they really aren't doing anything new with gameplay which is one of the reasons i like the wii u I think the gamepad does bring something new to the table just like with the original wii with the motion controls for all the crap they got for being casual their games where sure fun to play and you knew right away how to play, as I see it Nintendo is the only one being innovative.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The problem I see with the newest consoles is that all they seem to have done is increase the quality of the textures and threw in a couple more enemy's they really aren't doing anything new with gameplay which is one of the reasons i like the wii u I think the gamepad does bring something new to the table just like with the original wii with the motion controls for all the crap they got for being casual their games where sure fun to play and you knew right away how to play, as I see it Nintendo is the only one being innovative.

Agreed on the innovation thing definitely. I think Nintendo got a lot of crap with the wii because of the mounds of shovelware put out by third parties. The thing is that most gamers don't really follow the industry and many assume that Nintendo is where the problem lies if a crap game comes out on a Nintendo console.

The casual/hardcore distinction is another pet peeve of mine. Especially since it seems to me that "casual" gamers seem to cover a much broader variety of genres than "core" games which tend to center around fps, sports (which may also appeal to the casual gamer) and third person action games. Sometimes I think of the casual gamers as much more hardcore due to their openness to so many types of games that are out of the norm.

Now you need to understand that this is probably a matter of my perspective as well. I come from a time where there really weren't the established norms for genres as there is now. I mean yes we had platforms and shooters and rpg games and some sports games, but for the most part all games were very bizarre or experimental. Super Mario brothers was like nothing else at the time. Kabuki Quantum Fighters was like nothing else at the time. I feel like we will never see another game quite as odd as battle toads or earthworm Jim ever again.

I've been trying to type this out for so long I've lost track of what I'm even getting at now.

DokkenRokken

Banned
Apr 7, 2014

Because it's relevant.

It's bad enough that Farsight has to deal with all the mobile devices, the PS3/PS4, XBOX360/XBOXONE, and the PC... I really don't want them investing the very little time they have on a system that is flopping and failing. In fact, I'm gonna take a guess and say that the Wii-U is probably a low priority at the moment for Farsight, based on the fact that they're too busy with PS3/PS4, XBOX360/XBOXONE.

Again, it's a relevant discussion.

I'm sorry that the facts in the story upset you, but that's not my problem and I couldn't care less. I posted it to discuss it, and even more so because a TON of Nintendo fanboys went on a rampage on the FB page when Farsight said that the Wii-U "wasn't the most powerful system", or something to that effect. I mean, these guys were writing articles for fanboy Nintendo websites, having heart attacks over what was said... which is not only comical, but endlessly ridiculous. It was really insane, I think 20-30 people got banned in the span of 3 days. These guys were just losing their minds over something so stupid. (By the way, If you want to criticize anyone, try looking in the mirror. I'm pretty sure you were one of them, based on your comments directed at me in this thread.)

The story is very, very relevant to TPA and pinball itself, because again, if Farsight chooses to waste their time on this failing system, that means slower progress for all the systems and devices that are actually doing pretty good. As for "Console War", I couldn't care less. My baby was the Sega Genesis, and we lost a long, long time ago. I'm a Sony guy, but only because I never found joy in the Xbox or the Wii. If something came out that was better than the Playstation, I'd be all for it. Heck, if you want me to be even more honest, I prefer the older systems like Genesis/SNES over today's stuff... I'm old school, always will be.

(Oh, and a person can't "hate" on Nintendo when they've invested hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in their products and still owns a ton of their systems: NES, Gameboy, SNES, N64.

Try again.)

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
They've still got the logo on the website and if they got far enough into development to talk about sending it off for approval then I wouldn't rule it out yet.

I have zero interest in talking about nonsense like system specs. The Wii U has a great library of games - I'm spoiled for choice; so much so that I often only play the Pinball Arcade when a new table releases. If the Wii U never sells another console or Nintendo folds tomorrow, it means nothing to me, I'll still play games on it. Consoles have had their day anyway so I wouldn't fuss about it, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online