Sound mods

mdscales

Jun 2, 2015
I've been wondering if there is any projects to mod the sfx on TPA. Love the game but the sound quality, especially mechanical like flippers, leaves much to be desired. Has anyone tried to figure out how and where sfx is stored? Is it possible to mod?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Other than the camera mod, I don't believe anyone has tried any mods. We need to get some of those people that love to tinker with GTA to take a whack at TPA!

mdscales

Jun 2, 2015
Agreed. I made some small progress in unpacking the .rez file for a table into three different .669 files. After opening them with a hex editor there is not much to decipher. I'm a bit stuck. I'm not the most technical person in the world but will keep digging and respond to the thread if any progress is made.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I'm not the most technical person in the world but will keep digging and respond to the thread if any progress is made.

In these .rez archives lies the "3rd party intellectual property" which Farsight needs to protect.
I'm not so sure if the Moderators of this forum really want to see "your progress" here. :)

Just saying ...

mdscales

Jun 2, 2015
In these .rez archives lies the "3rd party intellectual property" which Farsight needs to protect.
I'm not so sure if the Moderators of this forum really want to see "your progress" here. :)

Just saying ...

Valid point. Nothing malicious intended, though I can see where opening up for simple sound changes could allow for much more unsavory edits. Happy to allow the thread to go dark.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
As a moderator, I don't issue at all. The camera mod has had nothing but positive side effects. If FarSight takes issue with this, then they can chime in.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I'm not the correct person to answer this, because I'm a programmer not a lawyer or business person.

My suggestion would be to contact support and ask before posting any "findings".

There are few parts in the EULA that could be an issue with reverse engineering and modifying a resource file for the game. The camera mod from what I understand intercepted DirectX calls and redirected them with different values to make the cameras different. Which is a bit different. Also since there isn't really a way the camera mod can be an exploit or cause exploits, no one here felt it was a bad thing, especially since all of you enjoy it. Modifying a resource file is a bit different.

In the EULA most specifically section 3.

"3. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:"
"(a) exploit this Application or any of its parts commercially;"
"(b) use this Application, or permit use of this Application, on more than one user device (e.g. computer, handset, PDA or other device) at the same time;"
"(c) make copies of this Application or any part thereof, or make copies of any of its accompanying material;"
"(d) sell, rent, lease, license, distribute, loan or otherwise transfer this Application, or any copies of this Application, without the express prior written consent of FarSight Studios;"
"(e) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise reduce this Application to any human-perceivable form;"
"(f) modify, adapt, translate or otherwise create derivative works based on this Application;"
"(g) disable, modify or otherwise tamper with any anti-piracy/anti-hacking functionality of this Application;"
"(h) remove, disable or circumvent any proprietary notices, marks or labels contained on or within this Application or its accompany material; or"
"(i) export or re-export this Application or any portion, process, copy or adaptation hereof in violation of any applicable laws or regulations. YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, if the Application was provided to you for trial use (e.g. for \"beta\" testing, and/or for a limited trial period or number of uses):"

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for chiming in, Mike. Especially since 99% of users don't bother reading any EULA. I like the suggestion of contacting support before going public.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Echo mdscales point here, would be great if the sound could be modded, Pro Pinballs flipper sounds in place of TPA's for example would be welcome.

Modding games generally is part of what PC gaming is all about - other than GTA V, look at Skyrim, Doom, Portal for example.

So long as nothing's illegally shared on here (Farsight not loosing revenue or getting sued) I would definitely be 100% for modding - cannot see the downside.

pinballnoob

Jul 27, 2015
Somewhat sound and sound mod related... is there a way to increase the volume of the mechanical sound effects without also increasing the sound effects of the other electro gizmowhatsits on the tables? As far as I can see, I can only tweak the overall sound effects and the table music. I would like to be able to hear more 'plink' 'clunk' 'thunk' 'whack', and other physical sounds that would better trick me into thinking I am playing a real machine. If there is a setting or a trick that can help with that please let me know, and thanks! Keep in mind I'm super new to all of this. I have only just recently realized what lane-change buttons can do... :/

SmoothBalls

May 28, 2015
The worst thing to do is tell a PC community not to do something, as the backlash will start. Rockstar found that out very quickly this year.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
I'd like a better "knocker" sound. The one used is utterly terrible sounding, nothing like a Williams/Bally knocker that has a very satisfying THWAAAACK sound for real (obviously some games varied; TAF had a weaker "thump" like knocker for example and I'm less sure about Gottlieb and the like since I hated most Gottlieb games as they were a virtual downer; Stargate with neat toys, but horrible sound and no voice actors from the movie, for example). I notice the lack of a proper knock sound every time I get one. I pay less attention to the flipper noises since my mind is on the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts