Speculation: PlayStation 4 May Account for >50% of entire PBA userbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
This data also shows that Season 3 has been underperforming compared to season 2.

Fish Tales and Black Rose are more popular and sought after than Cue Ball Wizard, which was the lowest selling DLC of last season at 10,000 units. Fish Tales is on more platforms, and has sold less units. That would suggest to me that people aren't very happy about 1 table for 5$ versus 2, and are voting with thier wallets...I'm really hoping that in the next few weeks it overtakes CBW.

Personally id much rather have 1 awesome release, versus 2 so so tables which a lot of Season 2 felt like to me and others. That said I'm really saddened that sales have dropped. Maybe Farsight could add an EM with each table release next season? That way people will feel like they're getting a better value , and sales will go up. After all, the tables packed with Big Shot, Genie, and Central Park did huge numbers.

I know EMs are still a lot of work but you never know. Plus how awesome would it be to get 10 EMs next season? PBA could use some EM love.

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
One thing you haven't figured in yet is that nothing from season 3 is available on any PlayStation platform in the EU yet. How much that will affect the figures remains to be seen.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Well I simply can't believe that they're not patching in trophies for the remainder of season 2 and none whatsoever for season 3. They had a chance to win re do the trophies for the PS4, but they couldn't be bothered. So I think the lack of trophies is really going to hurt dlc. I know I'm not buying any now.
I'm waiting for pro pinball, I'm so disappointed by the ps4 version.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
The trophies they do have are for "accomplishments" that are just way too easy. I understand they are limited but instead of getting the basic goals, maybe all basic goals in a season or getting x points in a challenge mode or something. Could have been more meaningful and then they would not have run out. On the other hand, I don't get the whole trophy thing personally. I'd rather just play the game. When they introduced knick knacks and trophies in games like Zelda or Dragon Quest, it just became a side distraction that added the option for additional replay but not required. I just want to play the game and enjoy it, not to get rewards (aside from good scores or finishing the game).

Rudy hates me

Jan 13, 2014
Well I simply can't believe that they're not patching in trophies for the remainder of season 2 and none whatsoever for season 3. They had a chance to win re do the trophies for the PS4, but they couldn't be bothered. So I think the lack of trophies is really going to hurt dlc. I know I'm not buying any now.

Each to their own, but it seems a bit silly to me to stop buying a game you enjoy (enough to join a fan forum) because there are no more trophies, unless you mean you're just quitting the PS4 version and continuing on another format. I like going for trophies, but I'm mainly into the games themselves. I've replayed Uncharted 2 about 4 times after getting the platinum, purely for the enjoyment and experience of a great game. If anything, trophies are less important to me in TPA than most other games, as I'm more interested in the leaderboards (no prizes for the first person who quotes this before a PS4 leaderboard comment).

Fair enough, we see things differently, and I've seen a lot of people on here with the same point of view as you, but it's just something I can't quite understand.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah! And if the price of gas doesn't go down soon I'm going to stop buying tables too because Farsight has just as much control of gas prices as they do trophy limits.

Pro Pinball will be so mint in comparison because they can spread all those trophies throughout their SINGLE TABLE. I can't wait to play Pro Pinball and proclaim how much super-awesomer it is than TPA because they can put so many more trophies per table even if they have to spread them out between ALL FOUR tables. God...having almost fifty real pinball tables to play is so dumb n' stuff...totes dumb. You TPA fans are so cray cray.

This post is super serious and is sponsored in part by this guy:
17.gif

Dogwater68x

Jan 22, 2014
First post; long time lurker.

I think there are many reasons for the gap in sales. I agree that only having one table per release hurts the perceived value.

Also I think there is something to be said about the huge gap between the initial release of tables and when the PS family gets them. We are how many tables behind? By the time the tables are released the hype and excitement for it has somewhat died down. I'm saying all this to say, I have been tempted several times to switch platforms so I can receive tables (and fixes) sooner. I'm sure others have already made the jump.

Now for my personal reason on the PS4: I'm waiting for the Season 3 pass. I'm sure others are too. They would already have my money for all Season 3 tables up front but they decided to deny PS users the same option they gave every other platform. So they will have to wait for my money.

I have a PS3, PS4, and a Vita. I was planning on shelling out the money for two Season 3 passes. But since that is not an option I'm only buying individual tables for the PS3/Vita since they are cross buy and I play mainly on the Vita (I'm weird I know). I will wait on the PS4 as I don't feel like paying the higher price of individual tables (vs season pass) twice.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
First post; long time lurker.

I think there are many reasons for the gap in sales. I agree that only having one table per release hurts the perceived value.

Also I think there is something to be said about the huge gap between the initial release of tables and when the PS family gets them. We are how many tables behind? By the time the tables are released the hype and excitement for it has somewhat died down. I'm saying all this to say, I have been tempted several times to switch platforms so I can receive tables (and fixes) sooner. I'm sure others have already made the jump.

Now for my personal reason on the PS4: I'm waiting for the Season 3 pass. I'm sure others are too. They would already have my money for all Season 3 tables up front but they decided to deny PS users the same option they gave every other platform. So they will have to wait for my money.

I have a PS3, PS4, and a Vita. I was planning on shelling out the money for two Season 3 passes. But since that is not an option I'm only buying individual tables for the PS3/Vita since they are cross buy and I play mainly on the Vita (I'm weird I know). I will wait on the PS4 as I don't feel like paying the higher price of individual tables (vs season pass) twice.

I would bet that most people who buy the tables are unaware of the release schedule. They just see that there are more tables available and then buy them. Most people don't have enough time to be that invested in everything that they do.

Dogwater68x

Jan 22, 2014
I would bet that most people who buy the tables are unaware of the release schedule. They just see that there are more tables available and then buy them. Most people don't have enough time to be that invested in everything that they do.

I see what you are saying and agree that the general public probably doesn't follow things to the extent that us enthusiasts do. Even so, setting the hype and excitement aside, if you let something sit dormant long enough people will forget about it and lose interest. I think this is especially true of non enthusiasts because there are so many other options out there fighting for their entertainment dollars/hours and they don't have the "pinball bug" to keep them sucked in. In my opinion, this where a set/steady release schedule (even if it is a few tables behind the other platforms) would possibly help them. People wouldn't get bored and would be more likely to stay invested if they could expect a new table every month. Right now the release schedule for PS is so chaotic I can see how it'd be easy to just forget about TPA and move on to something else if you got bored with what was already released. Just my opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
One thing you haven't figured in yet is that nothing from season 3 is available on any PlayStation platform in the EU yet. How much that will affect the figures remains to be seen.

Ahh that's very important actually. I'll keep an eye on things when that happens.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm waiting for pro pinball, I'm so disappointed by the ps4 version.

Me and you are friends outside of the forums. Friend to friend, while I understand your disappointment man, ask yourself like, why do we play Pinball in the first place? It's not about trophies, it's about enjoying the tables themselves.

I can't change your mind though, you're your own man, but I would ask you to think about it and try to reconsider your position on this...

With all that Said though, Daniel is totally right... Farsight couldn't be arsed to do trophies and it IS going to hurt them... it's no doubt already hurt them on PS3. -Very- silly oversight on their part, it's obviously something that matters to people; if it matters to the hardcore pinheads you KNOW it's going to matter to casuals... ugg... why lol.

And this is coming from someone who truly gives zero ****s about trophies... i DO care that Farsight does good business and continues to be able to make tables...

There is a glimmer of hope for the trophy crowd though. Xbox One increased trophies for the smaller download games, PSN could follow suit.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
Cheers Mark, when the leaderboards are working I'll be able to see how I'm getting on against you, but I'm non holding out much hope, your scores are insane!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Cheers Mark, when the leaderboards are working I'll be able to see how I'm getting on against you, but I'm non holding out much hope, your scores are insane!

Thanks man :)

Update 5-3-14: Fish Tales up around 9,400. With the release in Europe for ps3 and 4, I expect it to exceed Cue Ball Wizard at 11,000 units. Will keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Pinball Arcade doesn't even come close to being 50% of users on PS4.

When PS3 and 4 dlc releases, there's a slow weeks long jump of about 1K.

When the games drop on mobile and PC it's 4K in a matter of days.

So pretty much, yeah, even with Europe, it's clear to see that PlayStation family accounts for around 30%. That's both consoles, combined. Dunno about Vita but I doubt it's anything significant.

Now I understand why the platform is treated the way it is. That's a shame.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
10K fish caught. No fish caught in Australia (or Europe either I suspect).

That sucks, I'm sorry for you guys.

However it does mean that Fish Tales and Black Rose will sail right past Cue Ball Wizard and maybe Class of 1812 when they get released overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.