Star Trek: TNG

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
T2 was released in 1991, and was one of the first DMD machines (the second to feature the standard size screen), which means there will be a few animations, and a video mode (the first ever) but not necessarily a deeper rule set. It took another year or two before they began using the display to their advantage and making deep rule sets that would have been difficult, if not impossible, to pull off with the much more limited LED displays.

Actually, one of the things about T2 that wore me out was simply the license itself. T2 (the pinball and the movie) were revolutionary for their time and, IMO, still hold up in limited doses. My comment was simply about my preference of STTNG over T2 for longtime play. I offer for your consideration the several Youtube videos of pin head game rooms. Many of the best collections (Chris Bucci's comes to mind) have a lot of Bally/Williams from the 90's. I don't see T2 in many of these collections. Why? My guess is lasting power. Just like the movie. Really hot in 1991. Not as much now. Now STTNG. Usually coveted just as much as IJ or even TAF. This was simply my opinion along with the generalized opinion I get from websites like pinside.com and ipdb.org. Although, I supposed if you hate Star Trek, T2 is probably more desirable.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I spent an entire summer dropping dollar coins into ST:TNG every day (except one day, when the pool hall actually called my house to make sure I was okay). I'm sure I spent a few hundred dollars on the table, and it's one of the 3 tables I'd absolutely love to have on Pinball Arcade.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
This is absolutely one of, if not the, best use of a license in pinball history. They get the entire cast to perform dialogue specifically for this game, as well as an excellent rendition of the main theme and sound effects from the show, as well as table goals that consisted of things you'd see on the series. It puts the comparatively sloppy ST 25th Anniversary from 2 years earlier to shame, as well as other overrated tables like Star Wars Data East.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
This is absolutely one of, if not the, best use of a license in pinball history. They get the entire cast to perform dialogue specifically for this game, as well as an excellent rendition of the main theme and sound effects from the show, as well as table goals that consisted of things you'd see on the series. It puts the comparatively sloppy ST 25th Anniversary from 2 years earlier to shame, as well as other overrated tables like Star Wars Data East.

Oh yea! I agree big time! I just played ST:TNG and ST:25th at Pinfest a couple weeks ago. This was my first time with the Data East table but I've played ST:TNG several times before. Now, ST:25th isn't horrible but I actually became a little bored with it. It just didn't engage :)p) me. There's no comparison to Ritchie's masterpiece.

ragingpoodle

May 6, 2012
It's an amazing table, one of the all-time greats and Steve Ritchie's masterpiece. I loved it in the arcades and owned one for a while, it's a tricky machine to keep 100% working, which is one of the great reasons to digitize all of these great tables. You get a lot of value in these games, imagine paying 50 cents a game... It looks like the Twilight Zone kickstarter is going well and I hope this machine is next. Twilight Zone is more stop and go, Star Trek is flow, flow, flow. You will all love this game if you haven't played it. Shooting balls in the center hole with the gun never gets old, for my money this is the best table ever made.

Here is a video of someone playing the real machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZoFUzKSyzg

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
One problem with this table, however, is that it is a notorious drain-o-matic. You've got outlanes so cheap they that have become famous (when someone complains about outlanes on any table nowdays, they always compare them to this machine). Hitting the center shot, which is a central feature, used to start missions and is a frequent target in them, is a great opportunity to set up an SDTM. This game does allow enough buy-ins to learn the ins and outs of each mission, as well as select the mission you want with each buy-in. This is yet another reason why I hope Farsight incorporates this option into the games that support it.

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
“We would love to do the Star Trek: The Next Generation table. We know we can get the licenses because both [Star Trek and Twilight Zone] are CBS properties,” FarSight wrote in the frequently asked questions section of its Kickstarter page. “The cost of the licenses would be similar to the Twilight Zone, so an additional $55,000.”

From Venturebeat

We asked the studio if it would license both if this (Kickstarter) effort ended in more than $110,000 raised. FarSight Studios president Jay Obernotlte responded:
“If we reach that goal, we definitely will.”

I figured this is what FarSight would do, but it's good to get a confirmation of it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.