Star Trek *VIDEO*

karl

May 10, 2012
Maybe I just miss my TNG more than I thought I would, but to me this machine is looking better and better the more I see of it. I was not that enthusiastic about it at first but it does look like a fun game. Not something I would buy (at least not yet)
but not bad either. The start trek badge inserts are nice and even though I would have preferred a bit darker look, it's not so bad the more I get used to it.

karl

May 10, 2012
If there is a hidden LCD screen that pops out in the middle of the playfield and the camera zooms in on the old Kirk yelling "KAAAAAHHHNN" just before the wizard mode starts, I will buy it in a heartbeat :D

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
It could just be that I'm not a fan of the theme (although I really liked the new movies), but the more I see of this table the less I think of it.
It just seems really lacking.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
It just occurred to me, this table looks like T2 and ST:TNG had a baby. It does look rather underwhelming, for something that costs $8000.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
So, it just occurs to me that in 2013, Stern is still using monochrome DMDs. Isn't that 20 year old technology that should be abandoned by now? Along with technology advancing, it also gets cheaper. I think it's ok to move to a strip of LCD now.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It just occurred to me, this table looks like T2 and ST:TNG had a baby. It does look rather underwhelming, for something that costs $8000.

I think that is the pro version. So only $5,000.
Don't think I've ever said "only $5,000" before.
If You are a big Star Trek fan and don't already own a STTNG, then I can see the appeal.

I like the little hidden shot behind the upper right flipper. I've seen it before on another pin but can't remember where. Anybody?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I just saw the movie.

As long as Murphy from Robocop is doing the callouts, it's a winner in my eyes.

Maybe they'll have a color LCD in the LE?

PS Garek

Dec 25, 2012
Color DMD wasn't listed in the LE feature list, and the photos of them have the standard DMD. Other than the metal ramps and the extra toys, the neat extra is a projected starfield which everyone is really curious about.

There are two on location in Chicago, and I played one for a while. The design itself is great, fast, standard excellent Ritchie flow, and the light show is pretty good. The rules leave an awful lot to be desired though (the Captain's Chair has yet to be implemented). That's the general state of affairs for machines at launch though. We probably won't see the full ruleset for some time.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
So, it just occurs to me that in 2013, Stern is still using monochrome DMDs. Isn't that 20 year old technology that should be abandoned by now? Along with technology advancing, it also gets cheaper. I think it's ok to move to a strip of LCD now.

While I think going back to the simple, comprehensible display was a smart move, compared to using a huge monitor with information everywhere, you're correct that technology-wise it's ridicolous. LCD monitors are so over abundant today that they should be much cheaper to include (despite the technology being more advanced), and while I don't want a glossy WOZ style screen, I'd love a strip sized LCD (same size as the DMD we are used to), using just simple graphics (similar to the DMD ones, but without suffering from the same limit in resolution) and only a few colors to separate important information such as score an current goals.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks, that's the one I was thinking of. Knew it was something modern.

Wizard of Oz has a quite similar shot. Same location actually :) right behind the throne scoop
pbn_playfield.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts