Stern Pinball Arcade

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
My impression is that the "direct code interpreting is only for SAM & Spike tables, aka no table currently in TPA, as it's impossible for older ROM's to run directly on non-native devices... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Depends I guess the tables. The updated tables coming in the launch pack are whitestar which I belive runs on an arm chip. I'd assume for that all they'd need is source code for the roms. I don't think anything older than whitestar could be run natively. I could be wrong though.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
ROM code can never be run natively, even if it's the same copy, because the hardware is not here. so it would still either have to be recompiled or ran under emulation.

That said, emulating native code on the same processor is faster then other processors, so it's possible decent performance is available on mobile for Whitestar.

invitro

May 4, 2012
ROM code can never be run natively, even if it's the same copy, because the hardware is not here. so it would still either have to be recompiled or ran under emulation.
What about the software, i.e., Whitestar itself, SAM itself, System 11 itself, etc.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
We are now developing the technology to compile actual game code from Stern into our pinball engine!
Without the overhead of ROM emulation, we can implement better lighting effects onto more devices and add more complex shaders, reflections, and shadows onto the current generation of platforms.

Keep in mind, that Stern also has employees who work as software engineers (and 3D artists btw).
If Stern wants to see his current machines on digital devices, then they will find a way.
Don't worry about SAM & Spike emulation anymore.

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Really hoping these new SPA tables are truly "next generation" in pinball simulation. I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

I think it'll be more like TPA 1.5 than TPA 2.0. Some additional bells and whistles (e.g sharper graphics, new fx, and new physic tricks) but otherwise I would suspect it to be pretty similar to current TPA.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
With our new process we can take advantage of 3D CAD files for the geometry of the playfield, ramps, bumper, toys, etc (all the way down to the screws!) as well as print-quality graphics to create the textures!
I wonder if they really have or create CAD files for old DE / Sega tables, like troopers and frankenstein.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
I think it'll be more like TPA 1.5 than TPA 2.0. Some additional bells and whistles (e.g sharper graphics, new fx, and new physic tricks) but otherwise I would suspect it to be pretty similar to current TPA.

Yeah - that's my fear. Physics 3.0 did very little to move things in the right direction. Graphics and lighting improvements are nice too ( DX11 was a big jump), but until proper physics are in place Farsight's product feels more video game (albeit a fun one) than a true sim.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Yeah - that's my fear. Physics 3.0 did very little to move things in the right direction. Graphics and lighting improvements are nice too ( DX11 was a big jump), but until proper physics are in place Farsight's product feels more video game (albeit a fun one) than a true sim.

I'm not sure if it's just because I used to be better, but 3.0 did change a lot physics-wise. My only beef (a minor one) is the flipper catch sometimes makes the ball stick to the outermost edge of the flipper, making what should be a bounce-off an easy catch. It also made the tables harder IMO. I'm not complaining about it, it just means my days of breaking 200M on TAF or 50M on Junk Yard are done. The biggest "simulation" part of TPA is being able to enjoy these classic tables with the sounds and graphics just as they were. For me, TPA does bring back memories of some great games.

I really like the graphical jump from DX9 to DX11. I just hope they get the sound quality of STPA done right. Granted, they're also making it for smartphones

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I do like the ability to flick pass in physics 3.0 (not that I'm great at executing it).
:)

Good point, but executing it can be tricky. It's an all-or-nothing deal in that either you just end up recradling the ball or shooting it just powerful enough to get an STDM drain. Or worst case, you shank it completely and it drains into the other outlane. Usually it takes me about 5 times practicing the maneuver to get it right per game.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
True - it can be improved, for sure. Watching the PAPA flick pass tutorial footage has me wishing there was a way to execute faster/tinier flicks. For a first effort at bringing this kind of subtle move into flipper physics, I actually think it's pretty good. The faux live-catch on the other hand is a little grotesque! :p

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
I feel like physics 3.0 has been great for the game. It seems like it gives the tables a little more "feel." You know?

I wonder if LOTR or TSPP will come out in SPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Not long now hopefully - taken from this months newsletter:

"There will be an exciting press release coming out in June about Stern Pinball Arcade!
We can't go into too many details until the official announcement, but stay tuned to our Facebook page for some cool news! We're very excited about this new game. SPA will bring the best tables being made today to your favorite platform!"

Can't wait to see some pics and video of it in action

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
So is SPA going to be released sooner than expected? If so, I'm not quite as grumpy about hearing Physics 4.0 will come later. Here's hoping FS makes physics upgrade a priority.

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
So this is a press release about a press release? Nerd that I am, I'll take it. But, I admit that on first reading I was thinking this meant SPA was going to drop in June. I misread.

Members online

Members online