Sticky R1 & L1 buttons on Dualshock 4 Controller

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I think anyone who thinks they fixed this by popping the buttons off, cleaning and putting back together is kidding themselves. Unless it's just some initial wear dust then it's going to happen again, and again. Lubrication may work but may also make it worse in the long run. I think sony will quickly and quietly make a small modification to the buttons.

I think you're right but I don't think Sony will be coming over to fix my two DualShock4 controllers. I'm thinking that some dry Teflon lubricant might work long term. It won't gunk up over time like a wet lube. After a long time it will wear off but that's not a big deal.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I agree that WD40 is a bad idea, I only mentioned it as they said that they bought a new controller instead which if they were going to do that they aren't going to be bothered if the WD40 ruins the first controller.

I noticed mine sticking now so I need to figure what I'm going to do about it.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Mine have the slightest amount of lube on them and after an hour long game of TZ (6+ billion and 3 Lost in the Zones) last night still no issues. I will check back in if they start to stick again.

Krakehz

Nov 6, 2013
I think anyone who thinks they fixed this by popping the buttons off, cleaning and putting back together is kidding themselves. Unless it's just some initial wear dust then it's going to happen again, and again. Lubrication may work but may also make it worse in the long run. I think sony will quickly and quietly make a small modification to the buttons.

Both my controllers started sticking within houres of using, cleaned em both with a damp paper towel a week ago and havent had any sticking on either, i doubt very much its wear dust after only a couple of houres and then no problems for a week after intensive use, so yea i do think cleaning the buttons fixes it, otherwise i would have had the problem back houres after cleaning them out.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I kept having the issue after cleaning them so yesterday I applied a little "dry" Dupont Teflon lubricant onto a Q tip and applied that to the posts that the buttons sit on. That seems to have worked. I let it dry before putting the buttons back on. I only made the Q tip damp with the lubricant so that I wasn't putting on very much. Hopefully it lasts for a good while.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
It's just a matter of time until it gets worse and then the other one will start too. :/

Still using it and don't notice the sticking anymore as long as I don't use the edge of the button. It was a simple adjustment to how I pressed the button.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I kept having the issue after cleaning them so yesterday I applied a little "dry" Dupont Teflon lubricant onto a Q tip and applied that to the posts that the buttons sit on. That seems to have worked. I let it dry before putting the buttons back on. I only made the Q tip damp with the lubricant so that I wasn't putting on very much. Hopefully it lasts for a good while.

Is one of thee two what you're using?

DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-Squeeze

DuPont-Non-Stick-Dry-Film-Lubricant-Aerosol

joeblow

Feb 26, 2013
One week later for me and the fix is still working better than it did on day one. Seems so far to have been an issue at the factory with excessive gunk that we cleaned away.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
Aw fudge, my R1 just started sticking a little. Sheesh.

Yeah the chances are high it's not isolated to TPA either. So far my controller has been solid with a simple clean (I used isopropyl alcohol) two weeks and counting and originally it was 3 or so hours from new it started sticking. In my opinion I don't think it was a design flaw but more of some sort of residue used in the manufacturing process.

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
Anyone having problems with the thumbsticks material starting to peel away badly? Both my controllers are having this issue after only a month.

Azuri

Dec 16, 2013
Anyone having problems with the thumbsticks material starting to peel away badly? Both my controllers are having this issue after only a month.

Not me personally but a google search brought this issue up a fair bit when I was researching the sticky buttons.

ThaMonkeyClaw

Apr 1, 2014
Do not use WD-40 (it actually attracts dust) and don't use rubbing alcohol! I had this same issue and I just popped off the button and cleaned with a q-tip, then I applied some Nu-trol Contact Cleaner, it is safe for electronics and plastics and works like a champ!

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/contact-cleaners/nu-trol-control-cleaner-401b/

401B-340G.jpg

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Lost track a bit - When is the trigger fix/patch expected?

If you mean being able to use different buttons for flippers in TPA on PS4, well I don't think anyone here knows when we're going to get *any* game features/fixes, at this point.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Finally called Sony about the sticking issue on my controller, hoping the newer controllers will have solved the problem. Support claim its not a widespread problem but then I think unless you play pinball you are unlikely to realise its a problem.

It seems to be related to a lot of environmental factors as often I will start using my controller and it seem fine, its after a while of using it (once the plastic gets warm) that it starts to have problems. No adjusting of my fingers help, if anything when I tried not to touch it on the edge it just make it worse. I have had it stick completely a few times.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.