Strategy for wrecking the castles

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Quick Tip: Spell F-I-R-E in the flipper/out lanes 8 times for a guaranteed video mode when you hit Merlin. Spell F-I-R-E 40 times (maybe 45 or 50) for the next one. Video mode is probably the only way to get an extra ball when your score is beyond 2 billion.

GDW

Mar 17, 2012
Squid, are you telling me that I can't finish this game without Troll bombs? Because you can't use Troll bombs on mobile at the moment.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I've beaten the trolls a few times on the mobile but you have to do it the hard way.

Can you really hit them at any angle? I thought you had to smash them in the face

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I've beaten the trolls a few times on the mobile but you have to do it the hard way.

Can you really hit them at any angle? I thought you had to smash them in the face

Any contact will count as a hit. Even from behind. This is correct to the original table.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
To GDW: You can finish the Battle for the Kingdom without troll bombs but, it is very difficult. Once you finish acquiring all the BftK jackpots, all that's left is to demolish the gate with two stubborn trolls in the way. The ONLY way to be rid of them is by using troll bombs. If you can consistently shoot between them repeatedly to demolish the gate, I should be getting tips from you. Having trolls on the field while you're knockin' at the gate gets very hectic when you're on your last ball of the BftK multi ball. When you are on that last ball, a 10 second timer begins to countdown. (the timer resets everytime you hit the gate) Having trolls in the way makes the ball bounce way too much and will eat away precious seconds. Even one troll bomb makes a difference. I seriously hope the troll bomb issue gets resolved you.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Edit: ...for you.

My apologies for the sloppy edits and occasional double post. My PS3 is my only web browser. It isn't the greatest web browser.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I'm about ready to start pullin' my hair out here. Aarrgghh! One of these days I'll finally crack and buy a PC.

GDW

Mar 17, 2012
To GDW: You can finish the Battle for the Kingdom without troll bombs but, it is very difficult. Once you finish acquiring all the BftK jackpots, all that's left is to demolish the gate with two stubborn trolls in the way. The ONLY way to be rid of them is by using troll bombs. If you can consistently shoot between them repeatedly to demolish the gate, I should be getting tips from you. Having trolls on the field while you're knockin' at the gate gets very hectic when you're on your last ball of the BftK multi ball. When you are on that last ball, a 10 second timer begins to countdown. (the timer resets everytime you hit the gate) Having trolls in the way makes the ball bounce way too much and will eat away precious seconds. Even one troll bomb makes a difference. I seriously hope the troll bomb issue gets resolved you.

Thanks for the response Squid. :)

GDW

Mar 17, 2012
Finally got all castles...started Battle for the Kingdom and got all the way to just 3 or 4 hits remaining on the Castle...then lost final ball. My score got me back into the top 5, at least I was last night. :)
Got an extra ball from Merlin's Magic...that was nice.

RP1980

Jun 13, 2012
I started playing MM for the first time about 2 weeks ago and I've been super addicted...it has probably become my second favorite table of all time behind Addam's Family. I have gotten pretty good at attacking the castles, I would say in most games I destroy at least 4 of them. My basic strategy for this is to cradle the ball in the right flipper any time the ball comes down the right side after bumping around the jets. Once you cradle it, just aim right at the drawbridge/gate.

To deal with the ball going straight down the middle off the gate, I place my left hand high on the ipad so I can quickly nudge if need be. I have my right hand ready to nudge before I even shoot the cradled ball in the right flipper.

The trolls are a big pain, and I probably lose more balls to them than anything else. I have gotten pretty good at shooting between them with the same right flipper cradle trick, which will hit the gate, and often catch 1 or 2 troll hits on the way back down. Overall, I just hope to kill trolls during multiball, and they are way easier in the whack-a-troll game where they keep flipping back and forth.

I have only reached the battle for the kingdom once, and I didn't beat it. That game was my high score, 229,074,370. Right now it is ranked 70th overall. Kudos to the guy with over 700,000,000, that is freaking insane.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Isn't the shot at the castle gates/drawbridge and the risk of it draining the shots SDTM how that table was designed? I recall seeing the tutorial on PAPA and Boone mentioned it was how the table was designed and you would have to risk it for the best scores. First castle does 2m then next castles give you more. I have not had a chance to play these table in TPA yet but I have played the real one and it is indeed a risky shot.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Isn't the shot at the castle gates/drawbridge and the risk of it draining the shots SDTM how that table was designed? I recall seeing the tutorial on PAPA and Boone mentioned it was how the table was designed and you would have to risk it for the best scores. First castle does 2m then next castles give you more. I have not had a chance to play these table in TPA yet but I have played the real one and it is indeed a risky shot.
The castle gate is deliberately designed to be a risk/reward shot. However, they at least had the decency to angle the gate slightly so it is not quite as bad about insta-draining as AFM's forcefield/saucer shots.

thejake01

Mar 17, 2012
Best tip I can give for the castles is hit the drawbridge from either side, let the ball drop pass to the right, repeat.

When you get to the gate ONLY try to take the shot from the left unless you're feeling spunky. It drains less from the left flipper because you get more action on the ball and it's easier to get control back.

You can get similar results from the right but you can't do dead center shots and have to do either slightly earlier or slightly later so it makes it alot harder to be consistent.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
I just started giving this table my full attention and to be honest, as long as you're ready on the nudge, the castles really aren't that bad. From the initial launch you can trap on the right flipper, then after getting a hit on the castle, the ball comes out on the left. Don't panic and let the ball bounce-pass from the stationary left flipper onto the right where you can trap, make the castle shot, rinse and repeat. When the drawbridge is down, of course it's a different matter. But anytime the ball comes down from the bumpers, or down from the left lane, you should be able to make the castle shot pretty consistently. Castle Crusher is normally the least of my worries, using this tactic.

ParallaxScroll

Aug 21, 2012
This requires some fine nudging so it may not work that well on mobile, but what I do is trap the ball on the right flipper, fire it up to the gate, nudge on the way back down so I can re-trap on the right flipper, and repeat.

Edit: Actually, it's been a while since I played this so I forgot how I recapture the ball. I played a quick game to refresh my memory.

It will vary a bit depending on the ball's trajectory on the way back down, but most of the time what I do is let the ball hit the lowered right flipper, bounce pass it to the left, let it roll up the left inlane then back down, raise the left flipper, and give a medium strength nudge as the ball rolls back over the left flipper, passing it to the right. This sets it up perfectly for another shot at the castle.

I also often give the table a very slight nudge while the ball is heading up towards the castle gate.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online