Stuttery, poor framerate on Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Korven

I only have issues on Black Hole on my rooted Nexus 7, with not too much else installed.

Damianiw

Jun 23, 2013
1. And 360, yes.
2. Yes + my friends Android I forgot to mention
3. I never said it ran poorly on all Androids. However, now that you mention it, yeah that's definitely a concern. Technically I've tested 4 different devices and if you count Ouya that's 5 where it runs poorly. That's a pretty decent sample I'd say.
4. I would have a low opinion of Pinball Arcade if I didn't know any better, personally. So yes I would assume many others would have similar feelings. My friend bought Twilight Zone but never plays it anymore nor buys any other tables because of, and I'm quoting here "the janked framerate, it's horse****." He is waiting on 360 tables or to get a better Android device, he says.
5. Not sure what you mean here. Like I said, you have potentially millions of people playing a ****ty version of Pinball Arcade. That's a concern. The rest of the sentence makes no sense to me. It does piss me off personally though! I'm an ambassador for the game. When I recommend a product to someone, it's because I would personally use it. And I personally would not play a sub 60 fps version of Pinball Arcade period. So I'm out there recommending to my Android friends a version of the game that I would never play personally. That pisses me off you're damn right.

I want to recommend an Android to a friend that can run the game at a silky smooth 60 fps. Which device should I tell him?

I picked up a lenovo idea tab as a warranty replacement for a BlackBerry playbook , its tegra 3 based, pinball arcade was the first game I tried as I love it on my iPad 2, unfortunately android version seems far behind but of course its not a level playing field with so many devices.

I have found thee latest beta better but I'd still prefer iOS version over android, I don't think it can be all hardware fault but with so many variants out there I guess we have to wait for each too be optimised.

Tried nenamark 2 and I scored 53.9 fps, games like modern combat 4 and shadowgun dead zone etc with control pad are fantastic, I'm sure it can be better on android as I'm sure the nexus which my tablet is similar to has to be more powerful than a 2 year old iPad 2 but I do appreciate that it's also down to the dev tools etc

I downloaded a trial on ps3 and it just plays best on iOS at present in my opinion

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I also benchmarked my North American S4 using Nenamark2 and here are the five consecutive results I received :

60.2 fps
60.1 fps
60.2 fps
60.2 fps
60.2 fps

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Not sure if this helps at all, but my brother has an S3 and he told me a few months ago that turning off Power Saving mode made TPA run a lot smoother for him.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Not sure if this helps at all, but my brother has an S3 and he told me a few months ago that turning off Power Saving mode made TPA run a lot smoother for him.

I've already disabled Power Saving and Location Services and still no change. I even tried running The Pinball Arcade in Airplane mode with no luck. Don't get me wrong, the framerate drop is minimal and this is the best I've seen TPA run on a phone, but I've been spoiled by the flawless framerate (locked at 60 fps) on my iPad 4 that I still notice the minimal framerate issue on my S4.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I've already disabled Power Saving and Location Services and still no change. I even tried running The Pinball Arcade in Airplane mode with no luck. Don't get me wrong, the framerate drop is minimal and this is the best I've seen TPA run on a phone, but I've been spoiled by the flawless framerate (locked at 60 fps) on my iPad 4 that I still notice the minimal framerate issue on my S4.

I use the app Lux to manage auto brightness on my N7. Disabling Lux improved my frame rate from 40 to 55.7 fps.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
The benchmark tests I performed on my S4 proves that the phone is clearly not the issue here, but with so many Android devices to optimize for, I have no doubt that Ryan is doing the absolute best he can with the time he's allotted for optimizing TPA for Android.

Damianiw

Jun 23, 2013
The benchmark tests I performed on my S4 proves that the phone is clearly not the issue here, but with so many Android devices to optimize for, I have no doubt that Ryan is doing the absolute best he can with the time he's allotted for optimizing TPA for Android.

+1 on this

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

I wouldn't call them minimal. The fact that my ancient iPhone 4S runs the game better than a Galaxy S4 isn't right. I'm not blaming Farsight, it just seems like an issue with Androids.

Also like, disabling all these modes and what not and all this jazz I doubt your average consumer is that savvy to so anyway. Thus I would imagine lots of Android users are playing a sub 60fps experience maybe even a sub 30 like on my sisters old phone and tablet.

Anyways does anyone know of an Android phone that does in fact run tpa in a flawless 60 fps?

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
The only device I own that TPA can be played on is my ancient HTC Desire HD. I do encounter FPS drops on several tables during multi balls, but apart from that it runs very well.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Sorry - but I'm gonna call Troll here Mark. I was hoping you'd drop the tone in your posts, but you haven't.
I think this is confirmed with your concurrently running 'isn't the iPhone5' wonderful thread.

Yes it does sound like some certain top end devices are having very minor issues with TPA, but they will in all likelihood get sorted by Ryan, if we can ever get him back off tournament duty.

From today's testing it also looks that the issue is with TPA, not the hardware as both European and American spec devices are benchmarking way above devices that are known to be stutter free.

As someone having both devices here (I have an S4, and my wife recently got an iPhone5) I'd still choose my S4 now that Android literally just got its nudge enhancements.
Phones are for making calls for me anyway personally, even a 5" screen is a tiny bit too small for Pinball. Try it on a Tablet. I'd highly recommend the Nexus 7. A couple of inches make a massive difference.

I'd hope any future posts in this thread from you are to help the people who are having issues. Not to try and give Android a bad rep for TPA.

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
From today's testing it also looks that the issue is with TPA, not the hardware as both European and American spec devices are benchmarking way above devices that are known to be stutter free.
I think this is the point Mark is trying to make, he's not bashing android, just saying TPA isn't optimised for the newer phones/tablets.

I agree with you though, I only play TPA on my phone in waiting rooms and slow days at work. A tiny screen doesn't do TPA justice.

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
l have just got a Galaxy note 10.1 and was hoping to have a great experience with TPA. It looks blurry and is laggy. Very Disappointed. l don't even wish to play it on the note. Was looking forward to a bigger screen and better hardware.

My rooted Galaxy nexus is basically flawless and is older. I remember having to root it because TPA ran average Stock.
The note is rooted but no change. My Kids have an ipad 4 and TPA looks great and runs amazing but considering l own all tables on android l don't wish to purchase them all again + I don't like apple products.

My brother just got a nexus 4 phone and TPA runs like crap on that. You would think newer product is better but I'm not seeing it.
When my phone contract is up l would be hesitant to 'upgrade' in fear of wasting the money l spent on tables or even better, just not being able to enjoy TPA.

I read a thread recently where they were blaming open GL settings or something. To blame a device entirely is wrong IMO. There are plenty of other games that look great and run well too.

TPA may need to keep up with changing hardware and devices. I just can't believe how bad it looks and runs on the note 10.1

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
I forgot to say I would rather they looked into all this stuff rather than bringing out new tables and features every month. These features and tables are actually quite useless if the game can't be played properly.

I don't mean to have 'tone'. Just sharing my thoughts and experience.

N

netizen

I read a thread recently where they were blaming open GL settings or something. To blame a device entirely is wrong IMO. There are plenty of other games that look great and run well too.

TPA may need to keep up with changing hardware and devices. I just can't believe how bad it looks and runs on the note 10.1
There are very few games that behave behine the scenes like TPa, so no matter "How good" other games look they do not behave the same. No other game is locked to 60 FPS or tha does all it;s processing in real time at 60 FPS in OpenGL. This is why the OpenGL instruction included in the kernel are of such importance.

I forgot to say I would rather they looked into all this stuff rather than bringing out new tables and features every month. These features and tables are actually quite useless if the game can't be played properly.

Are we back to this discussion again? :-/

If it weren't for developing new tables they wouldn't find new ways to fix the old problems. No development, no money. No money, no staff. No staff, no fixes.
That's totally reasonable, amirite!!?!

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
There are very few games that behave behine the scenes like TPa, so no matter "How good" other games look they do not behave the same. No other game is locked to 60 FPS or tha does all it;s processing in real time at 60 FPS in OpenGL. This is why the OpenGL instruction included in the kernel are of such importance.

Ok, understood. So does this mean TPA becomes useless as devices change? No way to fix? No effort to find a way around? I'm no expert and don't claim to be I just want to know what the future holds. It sounds like I will never be able to play it on the note and I'll have to keep my galaxy nexus for good.

Are we back to this discussion again? :-/

If it weren't for developing new tables they wouldn't find new ways to fix the old problems. No development, no money. No money, no staff. No staff, no fixes.
That's totally reasonable, amirite!!?!

Totally agree and would/will continue to buy all tables if I can play them. I don't see a lot of threads where they are working on this stuff though. It would seem there is nothing that they can do.

tripleplonq

Dec 3, 2012
Further development and new releases aren't exclusive. An improved game engine/performance can also generate revenue.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Sorry - but I'm gonna call Troll here Mark. I was hoping you'd drop the tone in your posts, but you haven't.
I think this is confirmed with your concurrently running 'isn't the iPhone5' wonderful thread.

Yes it does sound like some certain top end devices are having very minor issues with TPA, but they will in all likelihood get sorted by Ryan, if we can ever get him back off tournament duty.

As someone having both devices here (I have an S4, and my wife recently got an iPhone5) I'd still choose my S4 now that Android literally just got its nudge enhancements.
Phones are for making calls for me anyway personally, even a 5" screen is a tiny bit too small for Pinball. Try it on a Tablet. I'd highly recommend the Nexus 7. A couple of inches make a massive difference.

I'd hope any future posts in this thread from you are to help the people who are having issues. Not to try and give Android a bad rep for TPA.

This thread has nothing to do with helping people who are having issues... like, what the **** are you talking about?

I'm not trying to give android a bad rap but when I play pinball arcade on a brand new premier android device and the framerate sucks then I'm going to speak up, and it deserves a bad rap.

I've really had it with this thread. I get called a troll for pointing out that the phone has a **** framerate and it's a brand new phone. Keep you're head in the sand and keep telling yourself stuttery, 45 fps gameplay is normal and just fine and dandy. Whatever. Peace.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'd be mighty pissed off if the iPhone 5 had a jank framerate, and I'd be openly complaining about it, not trying to defend it. But that's because I'm not a fanboy, unlike some of the wierdos in this thread no offense to the few that are actually honest with themselves.

Last edited:

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Further development and new releases aren't exclusive. An improved game engine/performance can also generate revenue.

Agreed, I know it's unlikely but if the game won't run properly on newer devices it could become an apple exclusive! Who would buy it for android if they can't run it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts