Stuttery, poor framerate on Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
Well after having it installed for little while It seems to run quite a bit better. I found that at times with the Galaxy Nexus too. After flashing a rom it could take some time to settle in. BOP still Stutters though.

l agree that some tables look nicer than others in terms of the blur but none look like they do on apple!
I'd say the blur is there on the Galaxy nexus too but just much harder to see. l only really noticed it when cactus canyon came out and wow is that the most ugly table, especially on the note.

It Would seem that the higher the camera angle the clearer it gets, the lower the angle the more blurry. l like to play on camera 1 so it shows the blur quite a bit. Dont Know if this is news to anyone.

At the end of the day if this is how it is and nothing can be done there is not much else to say l suppose!

One good thing is that l prefer the ball on android. I find shiny one on ipad harder to follow Iol!

Oh yeah and Ryan does a great job and puts in a lot of time and effort.

VenomPlug

Oct 30, 2012
I play TPA in offline mode. Always 60 FPS no matter what i do (mp3 player or radio running in the background, plus some other programs), or how long i play. (SGS3 stock)

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I play TPA in offline mode. Always 60 FPS no matter what i do (mp3 player or radio running in the background, plus some other programs), or how long i play. (SGS3 stock)

I'll go one step further and say that airplane mode will probably help when running TPA on any smartphone. System processes have priority over user processes, so your TPA game will stutter if the phone is checking in with the cell network, or if it cell tower is handing the phone off to another cell tower.

This may explain why some N7 users see some stuttering (N7 with wifi and 3G) and other N7 users never see stuttering (N7 with wifi only).

Tom

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'll go one step further and say that airplane mode will probably help when running TPA on any smartphone. System processes have priority over user processes, so your TPA game will stutter if the phone is checking in with the cell network, or if it cell tower is handing the phone off to another cell tower.

This may explain why some N7 users see some stuttering (N7 with wifi and 3G) and other N7 users never see stuttering (N7 with wifi only).

Tom

No online leaderboards though, eh?

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I really got the shaft on TPA, my devices are PS3 and Android, both of which have issues that make me not want to play it at all. No matter what I do, the android runs it choppy, many times I can't even tell where the ball is. It runs amazing on my friend's ipad, so I have considered getting one, just for TPA. But I have already spent money on the versions I have and wasn't satisfied so I probably won't buy any more, at least until PS4 version comes out and I get a good look at it.

Last edited:

VenomPlug

Oct 30, 2012
No online leaderboards though, eh?

Why not? I play offline because i hate slowndows, but i can always update leaderboards after i'm done. Going online (via taskbar) and login takes less than few seconds.....

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Why not? I play offline because i hate slowndows, but i can always update leaderboards after i'm done. Going online (via taskbar) and login takes less than few seconds.....

I thought a leaderboard score could only be submitted at the end of the game, once and for all.

VenomPlug

Oct 30, 2012
I thought a leaderboard score could only be submitted at the end of the game, once and for all.
Umm..saves on the device and updates when you go online...much like everything else these days (gamerpoints anyone?)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Umm..saves on the device and updates when you go online...much like everything else these days (gamerpoints anyone?)

Are you sure about that? I know Ryan said before that offline scores won't post, but did that change recently?

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...g-on-leaderboard?p=21446&viewfull=1#post21446

Also:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/2480-Scoreboard-question-(offline-leaderboard)

I know offline high scores definitely don't post on iOS:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/3463-Offline-high-score

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
it does not save your score. If you're not logged in at the time you finish the game, your score will never post. :(

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

None of your offline scores will be posted.

Perhaps when Ryan has a chance to implement Google Play Games framework into the Android version, this will change.

Reading the info on the developer docs, the following good news is present on the following page:

https://developers.google.com/games/services/android/cloudsave#saving_data

If the user does not have an Internet connection when your application calls updateState(), the state data is stored locally, and then synced with Google's servers in the background when a connection is available. If a conflict occurs during a background update, your application is notified the next time it requests a load.

This is the reason why I can't wait until Ryan plugs the framework into our beloved game. It can't happen soon enough.

Spud

Jul 14, 2013
lts funny how this thread turns into we don't care that our beloved game looks and plays inferior to other platforms. Even with good hardware.
We'll just change the subject!

4P47HY

Apr 20, 2013
Regardless what I said above, there are still one table that suffers severe framerate drops on my stock Note 2. Taxi table that is. The only temporary solution I've found and it was already mentioned here is a pause&resume method. But this is rather daunting.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Nexus 7 Runs it beautifully,

The frame drop issue is a bug, not a performance issue. Something takes control of the resources and it doesn't get them back for some reason. It doesn't happen all the time either.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I guess my next question is does any android device run it as well as ios ?

Regards

Damian

My Nexus 7 runs it beautifully, no stutter or slowdown, has shake nudging, & can be used with a PS3 controller (when rooted) , but it's not retina display - although... its a third of the price of an ipad or ipad mini.

I don't have any slowdown on my S4 either, and that is HD.
It's better on my S4 than my wife's iPhone 5, yet N7 with the controller is the best of all no question.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The nexus 7 actually has a sharper but smaller screen than an ipod mini. Retina is overrated for anything action oriented really. I know it helps seeing the finer details but its not life or death.

I'll take sone 720p 60fps video of the nexus and slow it down to 30 fps to show how smooth it really is tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts