Stuttery, poor framerate on Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fer

Jul 3, 2012
My Nexus 7 runs it beautifully, no stutter or slowdown, has shake nudging, & can be used with a PS3 controller (when rooted) , but it's not retina display - although... its a third of the price of an ipad or ipad mini.

I don't have any slowdown on my S4 either, and that is HD.
It's better on my S4 than my wife's iPhone 5, yet N7 with the controller is the best of all no question.

It certainly wasn't as smooth as an iPad on the (unmolested) Nexus 7 I tried. This was a while a go mind so perhaps things have improved since. It also didn't look as nice. I'm not quite sure why now, perhaps it was the filtering issue mentioned above. I can't re-test I'm afraid as it was my wife's and she replaced it with an iPad mini after it went wrong. I can however re-test on a Nexus 4 but as you know, they're very different.

Better on S4 than iPhone 5 how? Larger screen and nudging differences?

Fer

Jul 3, 2012
The nexus 7 actually has a sharper but smaller screen than an ipod mini. Retina is overrated for anything action oriented really. I know it helps seeing the finer details but its not life or death.

I'll take sone 720p 60fps video of the nexus and slow it down to 30 fps to show how smooth it really is tonight

That sounds cool. So you're saying it's perfectly vertically-synced to 60Hz yeah? Nice.

And yeah, I think retina-type resolutions are only worth it on larger screens too.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
That sounds cool. So you're saying it's perfectly vertically-synced to 60Hz yeah? Nice.

And yeah, I think retina-type resolutions are only worth it on larger screens too.

Perfectly synced would be a bold claim for me to make. Since I'm only ever watching specific areas of the screen.
It will be hard to see since I'm limited to filming my screen with an SLR and at 720p at that. The only thing i can do effectively is capture at 60fps. I've used it before on the following video:

This is ToTan running on the Galaxy S3 though it's not the greatest video, but it does show the frame drop issue. Overall even on the s3 this table plays pretty smoothly. Though keep in mind that Youtube is limited to 30fps so pinball videos don't always look as smooth as they should.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
It certainly wasn't as smooth as an iPad on the (unmolested) Nexus 7 I tried. This was a while a go mind so perhaps things have improved since. It also didn't look as nice. I'm not quite sure why now, perhaps it was the filtering issue mentioned above. I can't re-test I'm afraid as it was my wife's and she replaced it with an iPad mini after it went wrong. I can however re-test on a Nexus 4 but as you know, they're very different.

Better on S4 than iPhone 5 how? Larger screen and nudging differences?

My N7 has been consistently good since I got it December 2012, and it isn't molested, yes it's rooted, but it's still stock 4.2.2
N7's don't suffer from any filtering issue.

S4/iPhone5 - I choose S4 for screen res and detail (check out Dr Dude zigzag playfield background for a good example) , the size of screen yet being in a slim pocket able and light frame, also speed of play probably due to its awesome hardware spec.

I do appreciate that the iPhone5 feels superbly crafted and made from good materials to a high standard, but the S4 feels the same yet light and so slim and next gen. Kind of like comparing an 80's GT to a modern Supercar.
The iPhone - I can't live with the screen framing, it's a tiny screen in a big heavy body with such thick frames. The S4 is basically just a 5" screen which goes right up to each edge with very little else other than a few buttons.
Also - how do you cope without a back or menu button. The real estate is more than there to site them in but, they are missing and missed.

The iPhone is incredibly easy to use, and if an elderly or technologically impaired person asked me "I want to get a smartphone, which would be easiest to use?", I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the IPhone to a parent or similar person. But I personally prefer the almost infinite customisable options of Android - I guess I'm an individual.

The clincher for me though is speed of play. I tested both S4 and iPhone5 side by side during 1.15 pack when Dr Dude was free table, and the iPhone plays at 95% of the speed to the S4. It just feels slower to me and not accurate to the real play speeds of the real thing.

Touchwiz is the final clincher for me. Despite poor opinions, even amongst the Android community for being resource hungry, this device has enough resource to fuel its needs. It has everything I could want, and still (7 wks into ownership) manages to surprise me with hidden features and options.

Nudging wise - I prefer a controller to shake. Yet shake works on Android and doesn't on ios.
Just picked up a Moga Pro today for the S4, and having tried it with Ryan's controller mappable beta, can't wait till this is fully implemented.
Until then I prefer to play using a PS3 pad via the 'Sixaxis app' on the N7.

Last edited:

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Is this is officially a bug? I have tried pretty much every trick in the book to kill things in the background and ram, but I always get the same drop in framerate during play. Gotta be a bug. In that case, no rooting or app killing will solve anything (right?)

OK , so I did some TPA testing with my samsung stratosphere and my girlfriend's S3. Believe it or not, it runs nearly the same on both, the S3 slightly edges it out. But, the S3 seems to suffer the drop more often.

When paused and resumed, every time the issue is fixed for a while, then it happens again. The ball has to be in play, not in the plunger, for this to work. I usually trap the ball, then pause the game and think about my strategy while resuming.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm currently exporting my video of F2K playing on a nexus 7. The video won't be particularly entertaining but simply shows the game playing at half speed after being shot at 60 fps.

Before I upload it I want to offer some food for thought.

Remember I shot this using a camera, due to the nature of the game, it's hard to babysit the frame and sometimes it does go out of focus, and there is some ghosting because the tablet screen and the camera cannot be synced so a lot of frames are actually images of one frame moving into another. This can't be avoided as I don't have an HDPVR and even if i did, there's no HDMI out on the nexus 7. When the camera scrolls, this is particularly pronounced.

I shot it in landscape mode not portrait. Unfortunately, youtube is not portrait friendly, it would be awesome if it was but it's the way it is.

The video is shot in 720p. This is the resolution of the nexus 7 screen, however, i can't hold the tablet "locked" in frame perfectly, but it's also the only way I can shoot at 60fps. My 1080p modes only support 24 or 30fps. It's not going to be a pixel perfect representation of sharpness or blurriness, if I was trying to show that, I would have shot in 1080p, but this is a question of framerate.

Anyway, the video should be done processing in about an hour or so and then god knows how long it will take to upload.

If there are any tables, you are particularly curious about, let me know

targa

Apr 12, 2012
I can confirm this update (beta 16b_aligned) makes the game very smooth on my galaxy s4 (gt-i9505),thank you

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Oh man I want this update, how do I get it? Will this fix be included in the next official update?

Click the link Ryan posted 2 posts above, download and install the apk file (with 'unknown sources' ticked in your device options).

Or wait till Friday.

N

netizen

sorry, I'm tech challenged when it comes to phones. i don't know what to do with that or what it does, but I think that is a beta test. I want something official.

Click the link ... download and install the apk file (with 'unknown sources' ticked in your device options).

Or wait till Friday.

Then I suggest following Rubrik's latter instructions.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Then I suggest following Rubrik's latter instructions.
Ok will do! :)

sorry, I missed your post Baron Rubrik. thanks. I'm only on my 5th cup of coffee, it's been a loong weekend...excited about this update tho!

Last edited:

Sploofy

Jul 22, 2013
I have a Galaxy S4 (i9505) too, but I can't say I've experienced any poor framerate on it. There is the occasional stutter, but that seems that it will be fixed in the next release (I haven't tried the beta). Otherwise it runs pretty smoothly. My S4 was bought without a contract, so it doesn't have any operator bloatware on it though.

I experience flipper lag on the S4 on some tables though, for example STTNG. It's only on some tables, CC does not have it for instance. I don't experience this on my Nexus 7.

Damianiw

Jun 23, 2013
Latest beta is much smoother for me on lenovo ideatab (tegra3 based quad core, 1gb ram)

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Off2War

Jul 29, 2013
Hi guys i know im a bit late on this post but i just purchased a Galaxy S4 and so far im loving it, i basically bought it to enjoy pinball arcade even more due to the bigger screen and was completely over my iphone and wanted to get away from it, but i have noticed there is still ball stutter/jitter every couple of seconds or so with the latest version of TPA 1.16.0 that i have installed, just wondering if you guys are still experiencing this, or have i missed something as the new update states - "Performance optimizations should provide a more smooth experience". So basically is what im experiencing normal? Obviously from what i have read this update has helped but it has not completely fixed the problem. I want to enjoy TPA running silky smooth and i didnt think this would be a problem at all with the S4. Any feedback would be appreciated guys, this is also my first post so i apologise if i have not provided enough or too much, cheers. :D

4P47HY

Apr 20, 2013
I still have noticeable stutter in Fun House, Taxi and Whirlwind. Overall performance seems to have improved but I can't call it perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts