Request Swords of Fury - the greatest fantasy-themed pinball you've never played

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
You should take that Pinside estimated price with a grain of salt. That may be the table's "value", but because of its more limited production run and resulting rarity, you would need to pay several times that to get one in good working condition. You may notice in the first photo I posted that the price tag is $3995.

$4k is a joke. When I look at the Pinside average I add either $400 ship or 9.3% sales tax ('cause of where live), and then $200-$300 if the machine has been LEDed. I doubt even one with a top-tier restoration would fetch $4k. I'd be looking for one in excellent player's condition, as I would really play it. Near perfect playfield, near perfect backglass/translite, no structural issues, solid looking cabside graphics, that's all. Save the Rolls-Royce job for a MM or a Monster Bash.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
$4k is a joke. When I look at the Pinside average I add either $400 ship or 9.3% sales tax ('cause of where live), and then $200-$300 if the machine has been LEDed. I doubt even one with a top-tier restoration would fetch $4k. I'd be looking for one in excellent player's condition, as I would really play it. Near perfect playfield, near perfect backglass/translite, no structural issues, solid looking cabside graphics, that's all. Save the Rolls-Royce job for a MM or a Monster Bash.

I'm not saying that an average machine would fetch $4000, but the $700 that Pinside lists is also a joke. If I thought I could really purchase one and have it shipped for less than $1200, I would have secured one as my most prized possession years ago. Still, you're right that the actual price would probably fall somewhere in between, like $2200 or so. One trick with Swords of Fury is that anyone who has actually played/purchased it truly loves it and wouldn't give it up so easily.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Well, the point is, few pinball enthusiasts will ever be fortunate enough to come across a real-life Swords of Fury. But if FarSight included it in TPA, both hardcore and casual players would likely find it to be a new favorite. Like many of the best pinball classics, SoF is easy to get into but very challenging to master. It really does have that "one more play" quality that pinheads talk about all the time.

And by the way, I appreciate the unanimous support of those who have or have not played it before. Let's hope that FarSight hears our opinions and makes Swords of Fury a priority once their Williams Collection tables have all been updated to TPA.

Last edited:

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Well, the point is, few pinball enthusiasts will ever be fortunate enough to come across a real-life Swords of Fury. But if FarSight included it in TPA, both hardcore and casual players would likely find it to be a new favorite. Like many of the best pinball classics, SoF is easy to get into but very challenging to master. It really does have that "one more play" quality that pinheads talk about all the time.

And by the way, I appreciate the unanimous support of those who have or have not played it before. Let's hope that FarSight hears our opinions and makes Swords of Fury a priority once their Williams Collection tables have all been updated to TPA.

Honestly, there are a bunch of tables I would rather see first, but I do totally agree it is worthy and I would like to see it on TPA in the relatively near future (regardless of what a real one sells for).

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Since Farsight went through the trouble of emulating System 11, I'm guessing and hoping we will get quite a few of those tables. I have two yearly pin shows (Allentown and York) near me and have been going for years and I've yet to see a SoF at one. I played it in VP a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even if hearing "Lion Man" over and over was a little grating.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Since Farsight went through the trouble of emulating System 11, I'm guessing and hoping we will get quite a few of those tables. I have two yearly pin shows (Allentown and York) near me and have been going for years and I've yet to see a SoF at one. I played it in VP a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Even if hearing "Lion Man" over and over was a little grating.

I hope you're right, dtown, because there are a lot of System 11 games that should eventually make it to TPA, between Bally and Williams tables that used it:

Bad Cats
Banzai Run
Big Guns
Black Knight 2000
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball
Cyclone
Diner
Dr Dude
Earthshaker
Elvira and the Party Monsters
F-14 Tomcat
Fire!
Game Show
Grand Lizard
High Speed
Jokerz!
Millionaire
Mousin' Around!
Pin*Bot
Police Force
Pool Sharks
Radical!
Riverboat Gambler
Road Kings
Rollergames
Space Station
Swords of Fury
Taxi
Transporter the Rescue
Whirlwind

(Not saying that all of those DESERVE to be remade, but there are definitely some good ones among them.)

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I've played 23 of those games, and I wouldn't consider a single one to be bad. Some better than others, sure, but none bad.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
I've played 23 of those games, and I wouldn't consider a single one to be bad. Some better than others, sure, but none bad.

Well, yeah, that's what I mean. I just hope some of the good ones don't push Swords of Fury down the priority list, know what I mean? We already know that Dr. Dude, Whirlwind, and Pin*Bot are slated for TPA pretty soon, and Taxi is in the next DLC. When is that coming, by the way? A week or so? Or at least for iOS?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Ios build hasnt been submitted just yet, but is very close to. So taking into account 7 days of approval, my estimate is around monday the 27th. And its one to look forward to might I add :)

Last time android got their beta build well after ios, and it was released 2 days after they got it. That was at the end of the momth though, so they could have been under time constraint to get it out before August (I think BK was evidence of that).

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
The more I think about Swords of Fury, the more sense it would make for FarSight to reproduce it into TPA. It's non-licensed, it strikes a balance between old-school mechanics and modern gameplay, it's aesthetically pleasing, it works into FS's recent emulation of S11, its audio is unparalleled, and it's fun yet challenging to master.

This really is the type of game we need for TPA, one that begs to be played over and over instead of needing to cycle through a dozen of other tables to get your fill. And better yet, while its production run wasn't as long as some more popular machines, it is very possible to get one at a decent price. Shouldn't all that make it more appealing to FS?

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
You just can't stop thinking about it, can you? :)

Nope. The potential is just too high, bro! It'll probably hit TPA in 2014 or something, knowing my luck...

Maybe if we didn't have both Gorgar AND Black Knight already, I'd be campaigning for Jungle Lord. Would you prefer that? SoF all the way!

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I agree that I'd really like to see most of these. Here's what I think. Remember, its just my opinion.

Bad Cats - Maybe
Banzai Run - Doubtful
Big Guns - Doubtful
Black Knight 2000 - Yup
Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball - Doubtful
Cyclone - Yup
Diner - Yup
Dr Dude - Yup (already announced)
Earthshaker - Yup
Elvira and the Party Monsters - Maybe
F-14 Tomcat - Yup
Fire! - Doubtful
Game Show - Doubtful
Grand Lizard - Maybe
High Speed - Yup
Jokerz! - Doubtful
Millionaire - Doubtful
Mousin' Around! - Doubtful
Pin*Bot - Yup (already announced)
Police Force - Doubtful
Pool Sharks - Doubtful
Radical! - Doubtful
Riverboat Gambler - Doubtful
Road Kings - Doubtful
Rollergames - Doubtful
Space Station - Maybe
Swords of Fury - Maybe
Taxi - Yup (coming soon)
Transporter the Rescue - Doubtful
Whirlwind - Yup (already announced)

That's ten titles that I'd give a strong "yes" to. Throw in a couple "maybe's" and possibly a few "doubtful's" and you got yourself a decent number of System 11 pins. Remember, it's just my opinion.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Nope. The potential is just too high, bro! It'll probably hit TPA in 2014 or something, knowing my luck...

Maybe if we didn't have both Gorgar AND Black Knight already, I'd be campaigning for Jungle Lord. Would you prefer that? SoF all the way!

Please, no Jungle Lord. Not a horrible table by any means but the weakest of the four double playfield Williams from that era.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
Please, no Jungle Lord. Not a horrible table by any means but the weakest of the four double playfield Williams from that era.

I actually like Jungle Lord, but I was kidding, since I don't think it should be a priority for TPA. The gameplay is too much like Black Knight (but not as good), and the art style is very reminiscent of Gorgar (also not as good). Yet another reason that Swords of Fury would be just right - not quite the same as any other table out there in terms of look or play.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I actually like Jungle Lord, but I was kidding, since I don't think it should be a priority for TPA. The gameplay is too much like Black Knight (but not as good), and the art style is very reminiscent of Gorgar (also not as good). Yet another reason that Swords of Fury would be just right - not quite the same as any other table out there in terms of look or play.

Along that same note, since we got Black Knight, I doubt we have much of a chance of getting any of the other three; Solar Fire, Jungle Lord and, my favorite of the four, Pharaoh. My closest pinball operator is actually running a Pharaoh right now and it's fantastic. Especially if you're into ancient Egypt. The only issue it runs into is this table has an upkicker on the left side that sometimes gets stuck if you get two balls into it at the same time. Anyway, yea, I'd like to see SoF as well.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Along that same note, since we got Black Knight, I doubt we have much of a chance of getting any of the other three; Solar Fire, Jungle Lord and, my favorite of the four, Pharaoh. My closest pinball operator is actually running a Pharaoh right now and it's fantastic. Especially if you're into ancient Egypt. The only issue it runs into is this table has an upkicker on the left side that sometimes gets stuck if you get two balls into it at the same time. Anyway, yea, I'd like to see SoF as well.
Played a Pharaoh for the first time today. Pretty great game actually. Feels very different to BK despite the split level similarities. I doubt we will see it in TPA, but I can always hope.

They also had a SoF, which was every bit as great as I remembered it. Still feels and looks a lot more contemporary than most other System 11 games. Taxi felt quite flat by comparison, although that could have been largely because the Taxi wasn't as well serviced.

JoshuaKadmon

Aug 12, 2012
That's ten titles that I'd give a strong "yes" to. Throw in a couple "maybe's" and possibly a few "doubtful's" and you got yourself a decent number of System 11 pins. Remember, it's just my opinion.

Taxi, Dr. Dude, Pin*Bot, and Whirlwind are all quintessential System 11 tables, but three of those were foregone conclusions as previous PHoF games, anyway. And I agree that Black Knight 2000, Cyclone, Diner, Earthshaker, F-14 Tomcat, and High Speed are all strong possibilities. But for the sake of something fresh and unexpected, if I look at the other twenty titles in the pool, there's no question that Swords of Fury would be the most exciting. I know Grand Lizard has its adamant fans, as well, but sticking SoF higher on the release list may help keep players interested in the original offerings of TPA. We don't necessarily want the first two years of TPA releases to read like a thousand online Top 20 lists. It would be nice to have a diamond in the rough slap us in the face, here and there, no?

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I really don't get the love for the rollercoaster series of pins. Playing Cyclone the other day reminded me of how bland and empty they feel to me. I'm sure it's largely down to that grey simplistic playfield art. Ugliest games I've ever seen. Sorry. :(

Anyway, SoF is so different to most System 11 games and quite unlike anything else in TPA. Almost everyone that plays it seems to really rate it. Shame it's so hard to find.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.