T2. Betatest

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

netizen

iOS is a closed beta. There is a limited number of testers, and is closed to new ones AFAIK.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Netizen is correct, the iOS beta is a closed beta. However, if you have an Android device, FarSight conducts a regular open public beta on Android. Head on over to the Android section of the forum to learn more.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Yeah, the closed previous beta testers I think used the Farsight mobile provisioning (100 devices per developer account)

Us kickstarters use a third party service that use enterprise provisioning profiles (app signed by the service) to make it a really easy and convenient process - you just tap install and it downloads onto your device easily. And submitting reports is fairly easy as well. The commercial beta testing services used make it much easier than when I had to beta test other stuff and such.

The easiest way to join the beta test would be via Kickstarter - the original Farsight beta testers most likely require extensive contributions to the community and is a rare thing.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's very silly to have to pay to become a beta tester.

You're doing Farsight a favor. Normally a company has to pay game testers to find software bugs. Not the other way around.

At the same time they aren't just going to let anyone in. Most people just want the access so they can play the game early.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012

You're doing Farsight a favor. Normally a company has to pay game testers to find software bugs. Not the other way around.

At the same time they aren't just going to let anyone in. Most people just want the access so they can play the game early.

I've had to purchase certain games, that I really wasn't interested in, in the past just to aquire one time Beta access to an upcoming game I was looking forward to, so this is nothing new.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Mark, for so long here, people BEGGED to be beta testers...basically, there was demand for it. The fact that the beta testing KS tier was as popular as it was speaks to it. People want to do it, it's not silly to do so...we get an overall better experience. Also, it's not beta testing the way beta testing normally is carried out. Paid beta testers are given lists of things to try and try and try and try, mundane tasks to carry out much like endless fetch quests complained about in a Zero Punctuation episode.

I have to say...a lot of people are doing the best they can to bring bugs to the forefront.

haj

Sep 28, 2012
Paid beta testers are given lists of things to try and try and try and try, mundane tasks to carry out much like endless fetch quests complained about in a Zero Punctuation episode.

This. It's not unlike that you'd never want to see the game again after such tests.

Today releasing a beta quality unfinished software program in the hope of patching afterwards is getting more and more common. While it's somewhat inevitable as most small, limited-resource projects are having more resources cut every day but I was a bit surprised at FS's take on this: do closed beta and release often some critical problems unfixed. I'd re-schedue for the beta testing if the test is too late.. but perhaps it's already a current trend in the industry; they may be a head of that ;)

Last edited:

sotie

Aug 30, 2012

Keep in mind that without them you might not have been getting T2. The kickstarter was failing until the beta tier was added.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
RTM releases with bugs has been common for some time in the PC realm. At one time you used to have to get fixes on floppy disks, through game magazines or, god forbid, download them over a telephone line.

Really, since the SNES generation, console and PC gaming have been trying to overlap more and more. First in game styles (little strategy games for consoles, or DOOM for instance for SNES, and console platformers like Earthworm Jim being released for DOS/Win95). Think of the overlap now. First person shooters are very well represented on consoles where they used to be the domain of only PCs, games that we think of predominantly console games are making their way to PCs. Along with this overlap, delivery methods are going to overlap as well. With consoles being online, with hard drives and the ability to install games. Let's face it. Games are going to need patches and fixes nowadays. I don't see us going back ever. Major dev studios release horribly buggy AAA titles on a regular basis...

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
RTM releases with bugs has been common for some time in the PC realm. At one time you used to have to get fixes on floppy disks, through game magazines or, god forbid, download them over a telephone line.

I remember beta testing a PC game from WAY back called Millennium Auction. The betas were provided on CD-Rs that were individually burned & mailed to you via snail-mail. This was back when *one* blank CD-R was priced at ~$15-$20 (or maybe more, I forget). I also remember getting a patched Ultima IV (RPG game for Atari, Commodore, Apple II) on 5-1/4" floppy disk, also mailed via snail-mail. We've come a very long way. :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts