Request Table mods as unlocks

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The solid ramps were a (dumb) design decision. They are transparent on the HOF version. Nothing to do with the power (or lack thereof) of the platform.

Low polygon counts resulting in not so round wires and whatnot, is because they have to code to the lowest common denominator (iPhone 3, iPad 2 etc). Though it would be nice to have better graphics for those of us who own more powerful, more current devicest(wait , do I ? iPhone 4S is now outdated :( ) but Farsight is a small dev

Last edited:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I would like to see table mods as unlocks in the future like being able to unlock the tiger saw animation in Theatre of Magic or unlocking the filled gumball machine in Twilight Zone. It would add a little something special to the game and of course you would be able to turn mods on/off in the table's menu.

This is a brilliant idea! Would love the color dmd as an unlock on Medieval Madness

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
They already have problems running the tables on mobile devices, just look at the solid ramps on NGG and the jagged wire ramps on CV. Adding mods like an animated Tiger Saw is only going to make it worse.

I would expect these mods to only be available on consoles, given the technical limitations of mobile devices.

As a mobile user, I'm ok with that.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The solid ramps were a (dumb) design decision. They are transparent on the HOF version. Nothing to do with the power (or lack thereof) of the platform.

Actually, the transparency of an object is what causes the performance issue.

okurka

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
HOF had scripted tables, TPA needs more CPU power to emulate the PCBs and run the rom code. Farsight have admitted on Facebook they made those ramps solid because of lack of CPU power. The PS3 and Xbox 360 version, seen in their video, have transparent ramps.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I also think the cpu excuse for the solid ramps in NGG is a load of B*****s, there's no way that table is harder to run than TOM or TOTAN.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
Actually, the transparency of an object is what causes the performance issue.

But did they not realize how much this can have a major impact on gameplay? On some tables, the designers made them transparent for a reason. Take a look at this screenshot from the PS Vita version. It is simply impossible to see what is going on above the right outlane. You cannot see which position the light is in for extra ball and you cannot see what path the ball is taking to possibly save it from the outlane. In addition, you also have no idea when the ball will be coming out of the pop bumper area either, although you have much more time to react in that situation. My complaint here is not simply about matching the original table visually, but for over 6 months now us PS Vita owners have had a broken table with a major gameplay flaw that hasn't even been recognized by the developers. This is the kind of stuff that does in fact keep people who like the game from buying the DLC and the complete lack of interest from FS in fixing these problems is rather shocking.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
But did they not realize how much this can have a major impact on gameplay? On some tables, the designers made them transparent for a reason. Take a look at this screenshot from the PS Vita version. It is simply impossible to see what is going on above the right outlane. You cannot see which position the light is in for extra ball and you cannot see what path the ball is taking to possibly save it from the outlane. In addition, you also have no idea when the ball will be coming out of the pop bumper area either, although you have much more time to react in that situation.
This, and the fact that you can't see the ball come down to the upper flipper very well. Between that and the outlane entrances being hidden from view, I don't play NGG very much on TPA.

I once suggested that FarSight make the sections of the ramp above the outlanes and the upper right flipper transparent and the rest could be left solid if needed.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
How about mirror blades!:D Oh wait the reflection of the playfield would make my weak PS3 BLOW UP! It's already pushing it to the MAX!:p

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
How about mirror blades!:D Oh wait the reflection of the playfield would make my weak PS3 BLOW UP! It's already pushing it to the MAX!:p

Don't joke about that, I have one of the Slim models of the PS3 and it gets hot enough to greatly soften any of the cables I have plugged in the back. Any extreme pinball action could cause spontaneous combustion. :D

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I stand my slim on end and it doubles the heat exposure, in the summer I blow a fan at it and winter it doubles as a heater:p that reminds me I need to vacuum it.

okurka

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
It's not a matter of lack of CPU speed, more a matter of lack of optimizing the code for each device.
My Xbox 360 gets hotter/noisier when running TPA than when running any other game.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
It's not a matter of lack of CPU speed, more a matter of lack of optimizing the code for each device.
My Xbox 360 gets hotter/noisier when running TPA than when running any other game.
It shouldn't be getting even remotely warm: FarSight stated once that the 360 version used about 30% of one core. And the game is developed on a 360, so in theory it should be the most-optimized platform, because none of the optimizations would be getting lost in translation to other platforms.

I've never noticed any signs that my 360 was being overworked, even after hours-long sessions on ToM and MB.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.