Table of the Week Club...Week 14: CUE BALL WIZARD

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
So...is there no strategy? I played a bunch of games last night, and just let things happen. I'm more concerned with collecting wizard goals at the moment, but the table progression just seems like a war of attrition. Also took me forever to realize you are trying to put out the lights of P-O-O-L by having the ball roll over lit lanes, which is unlike any table I'm used to! Should probably figure out what unlighting all four actual gets me, but I haven't been paying attention.

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
So...is there no strategy? I played a bunch of games last night, and just let things happen. I'm more concerned with collecting wizard goals at the moment, but the table progression just seems like a war of attrition. Also took me forever to realize you are trying to put out the lights of P-O-O-L by having the ball roll over lit lanes, which is unlike any table I'm used to! Should probably figure out what unlighting all four actual gets me, but I haven't been paying attention.

Unlighting all four rollovers "rewards" you with quite possibly the worst video mode in pinball.

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
I am a bit encouraged by the people saying forget about the rules and just shoot for the ramp. I could never understand what I was supposed to be doing. I understand shoot up a ramp more than pockets or banks. Let's see if I can get better than my current high score of 158 million.
I've always considered this one of the worst games on TPA. I've found there's always something good about every game though if you look into it, as this type of thing makes you do.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
No love for this table, and that is exactly why we need TotWC! This forces me to delve into tables I would never fire up out of my own volition. I remember that there is some strategy involved in Pool Mania. So let's suck it up and play!

Morg

Apr 3, 2014
This is one of those that I really wanted to like, but haven't managed to find a way to. The theme and atmosphere is appealing enough, I don't mind the music or most of the callouts. But I don't do well with tightly-packed tables, don't understand half of the modes except that most of them seem to involve really difficult shots that usually end up draining, and I can't seem to find any predictable way to score.

It's amusing enough when you hit a shot that stays up in the ball drop targets/bumpers for half an hour, and the the captive cue ball/cue stick feature is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much else that keeps me coming back. Guess it's time to read through the rules and work on that ramp shot.

"God I hate these outlanes."

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
When playing this pin in TotM, remember to short plunge extra balls if you have any multiball ready. If you plunge the ball hard around the ramp it will start multiball. It would suck to start multiball on your extraball just to have to drain it!

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
When playing this pin in TotM, remember to short plunge extra balls if you have any multiball ready. If you plunge the ball hard around the ramp it will start multiball. It would suck to start multiball on your extraball just to have to drain it!

Thanks for that.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Can I ask why pool has to have the cowboy motif? I mean, 8-ball deluxe already had gone there. By the way, I so wish that had of been the choice instead of this. Which leads me into my question for you all...do you think the problem with this table is the layout, or the programming? I do think the cue ball and 8 ball toys take up way to much space. I really do wonder if I'd think differently if with the exact same layout, Williams had put their magic into it.

I'll also say this...having just recently played Breakshot for the first time, THAT is a way superior pool themed table to anything else I've played. Let's really cross our fingers that FS decides to make some Capcom pins.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013

I want to add that the best choice would be to TILT the extra ball before plunging. When you short plunge and drain without hitting any targets you keep ball save. After you TILT you can plunge away the ball full strength.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Can I ask why pool has to have the cowboy motif? I mean, 8-ball deluxe already had gone there. By the way, I so wish that had of been the choice instead of this. Which leads me into my question for you all...do you think the problem with this table is the layout, or the programming? I do think the cue ball and 8 ball toys take up way to much space. I really do wonder if I'd think differently if with the exact same layout, Williams had put their magic into it.

I'll also say this...having just recently played Breakshot for the first time, THAT is a way superior pool themed table to anything else I've played. Let's really cross our fingers that FS decides to make some Capcom pins.

It really is a shame they made this instead of EBD. Of course, at the time, they didn't have an available license or something, right?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Alright, just finished all the wizard goals.

2nd to last was getting the 1/2 billion 9 ball. First attempt I cleared all the 1-8 and then it went into hurry up to get the 9 ball, for which I didn't get it in time. In a completely separate game, I activated 9 ball again. This time, my ball hit the 9 target first (seemingly) and I won the mode. Very odd, as I don't think I swept the 1-8 with one shot. Didn't stop too long to think about it though, as goal was received so time to move on!

The last goal I needed was the super jackpot. Took me a while to realize there is no countdown timer for hitting the yellow, blue, red zones so long as you have 2 balls in play. So I was getting frustrated, spending all this time trying to get a multiball going and then just losing it. And then it dawned on me. 3rd ball, you ALWAYS get an immediate multiball! Duh. So I proceeded to just plunge and drain the first 2 balls and concentrate on multiball with the 3rd. Since you can cradle a ball as it comes off the habitrail, I would short plunge the 2nd ball in hopes of controlling both. Then it was only a matter of time before I successfully got all three colors knocked down before losing one of the balls. Took 10-15 games to do it, but it is done.

Don't know how much more of this table I'll actually play. I suppose I should figure out a safe way of scoring big. I did finally pass the 1 billion mark on the table, which was the same game I got the nine ball, natch. I'll for sure have to practice without those EBs too. All in all though, pretty shallow game. At least it looks nice in DX11 :D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It really is a shame they made this instead of EBD. Of course, at the time, they didn't have an available license or something, right?

They said they played this at a show and really liked it over EBD. Either the person playing pinball at the show was suffering from head trauma, or there was more to the story than being told. Figure they did need to do more Gottlieb, and DMD ones at that. Add on top of that their loathing of EMs, which EBD is not but it very well could be. And lastly, yes it was at the time of the license ending for WMS and they might have been hedging their bets. All I know is EBD is one hell of a tournament table, so poor choice on FS behalf.

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
never really played this game. Here is to new experiences. Thanks TOTW for giving me a reason to try new tables and learn them. Time to quit talkin and start chalkin. Cheers

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
CBW is basically Big Shot with a huge loopy ramp and some huge, stupid, distracting toys.

I like Big Shot better.

It doesn't tell me that I sure need that ramp shot - because it doesn't have a ramp.

workshed

Feb 26, 2015
Playing around tonight I found that alley passes work really well on this table, and aren't very hard to pull off. I've had little luck with them on any other table on TPA, although I haven't tried it on all of them by any means. I was having difficulty post passing from the left side (right side works well for me) and gave it a shot. It works really well, although if you hit it too clean be prepared to nudge to avoid an up and over from the inlane to the outlane. It makes for a sexy looking way to transfer a trapped ball to the other flipper, and Shatzing the inlane rollover is a great way to get to two of the greatest video modes ever. I'm not sure if this is all that useful, but it is fun to try and finding anything fun on this table is a win in my book ;)

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
Do you think it's better to ignore getting extra balls to avoid possibility of drains for the tourney...or go for them for skill shot plunge in CBW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online