Table of the Week Club...Week 16: WHIRLWIND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Can't you just short-plunge right to the flippers? If it goes SDTM without hitting any switch, you get it back. Just try again until you do get a catch. Control is more important than anything else you can do off the plunge in the skill shot or ramp.

If you plunge the skill (ramp shot) the ball will typically (90-95%)of the time go to the left flipper for an easy trap.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
When plunging after locking, be careful that you don't drain the ball. Even if you don't hit any switches, you can still end your ball.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wow! I don't feel so bad now. Do you play primarily on your iPad? I believe you said that to me before.

No, I'm PC exclusive now. I've only got 1st two seasons on PS3. The iPad has nothing but TotAN (it's my wife's anyways)

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
TRADER!! ;) i totally understand the of, especially now with DX 11. So sweet!!

Btw: how cool is that! Your wife plays too!!! Now that's a score! ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
TRADER!! ;) i totally understand the of, especially now with DX 11. So sweet!!

Btw: how cool is that! Your wife plays too!!! Now that's a score! ;)

I switched to PC prior to DX11, mainly because I was sick of waiting 2-3 months to get tables on the PS3. And no, my wife doesn't play, it's that it is the only iPad we own and I downloaded the game just to see what it looked like in iOS. I can't stand playing with my thumbs, so even if it was mine, the only way I'd play is if I had a controller hooked up.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, and I finally had a very good game for me...73 million. One of those games where I got the lucky bounce every single time when the ball was heading toward the outlane.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
There's a rollover bug on WW. Stop at 99M if you want 220 points. The 1k HOF limit is 450M (!!) but doesn't register.
I just played a decent game but couldn't really raise the million plus enough to get a great score. After a while it wasn't possible to start multiball any more (just like others have reported, although I have never seen that before), and I was at ~180M by then, so I decided to play for 199M and then drain to get the most possible HOF score on the table, which would be x99M because of the roll-over bug. Well, I finished with 199.7M, and was really surprised when the game said I get ~450 HOF for that (full credit). When I look at my HOF scores afterwards however Whirlwind is listed for 221 HOF points, so although it looked like the roll-over bug is fixed it actually isn't. Got me excited for a while! I wonder if Farsight is working on this.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
Oh, and I finally had a very good game for me...73 million. One of those games where I got the lucky bounce every single time when the ball was heading toward the outlane.

Officially jealous now. Must try hard all night and all day tomorrow. I'd be happy just needing my 44,000.000

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Officially jealous now. Must try hard all night and all day tomorrow. I'd be happy just needing my 44,000.000

My best score this week is 88M. I'm dreading this table coming up in the tournament though because I've also had games top out at < 500K for no other reason than I plunged the ball 3 times....

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm debating on this or Centaur being the put up or shut up table. I think both can be equally punishing for no other reason than they want to, but I don't think the point spread would quite be so major with Centaur.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Personally I think the Put Up Or Shut Up Table is CBW. (And to be fair... most of us decided to "Shut Up" about it.)

I'd prefer Centaur over WW or MB.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I'd recommend Monster Bash for put-up. It's the most balanced out of these tables and the most fair gauge of skill. I think Put-Up should aim for balance rather than punishment. Punishing doesn't equate to skill-testing. Avoiding the house balls on Centaur and Whirlwind doesn't mean you're good, it means you got lucky.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
WW for sure. It's the most balanced table of these 4, and there's definitely more skill than luck in minimizing drains. Very few railroad shots, and it feels more like a real table than most in TPA. House balls should be a part of pinball.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
WW for sure. It's the most balanced table of these 4, and there's definitely more skill than luck in minimizing drains. Very few railroad shots, and it feels more like a real table than most in TPA. House balls should be a part of pinball.

I agree with your sentiment about house balls. In all the monthly league tournaments I play, house balls are very much a factor. I've beaten top 10 guys thanks to them getting some unlucky bounces. I feel in TPA it is the one thing we can use to make it feel more like a real machine.

superdan

Jan 30, 2015
Glad to see WW and seemingly a popular favorite. Big nostolgic factor for me remembering playing this at the local store back in the good old days and trying to stretch a few dollars in quarters as long as I could. Too bad there is no industrial strength fan on the TPA table :) maybe I'll try to set up my desktop fan and turn it on during the multiballs lol on second thought, maybe not. Ps don't usually combine quick multi-ball with feel the power multi-ball unless an easy opportunity presents itself, but may also explain why my high score is only 65 mil. Great game imo and as I hear a lot, just plays well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.