Table pack 18 anticipation thread...

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
There's no reason to think that. They spend just as much time with the re-releases as they do with the new ones. They aquire the table, strip it down and do all of the stuff that they do with a new table.

There must be some cut costs somewhere, otherwise FS wouldn't be putting them in the table packs so religiously.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I see two-table packs of DMD + non-DMD for the foreseeable future. The idea that no one wishes to purchase non-DMD tables is wishful thinking on the part of DMD partisans. If anything, we'll see longer times between releases before we'll see consistent one-table releases. Kickstarters/expensive licensed tables are the continuing exception.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
The idea that no one wishes to purchase non-DMD tables is wishful thinking on the part of DMD partisans.
this is was what i was too lazy to write. here are much of "no DMD" pins, especialy of 80's - many of them have cool art such as (from not in TPA currently) Medusa, Lost World, Paragon, Embryon, Barracora, Fathom, Silverball Mania, Spectrum and so on. Black knight 2k and Bad Cats are simply charming with their sound effects.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I don't believe any of this.

Let's just use No Good Gofers as an example. It's obvious that the entire play field was rescanned. In the PHoF version all the text is fuzzy and mostly impossible to read. In the TPA version the text is much more crisp and much more legible. All of the ramps, toys and other physical aspects of the table have been redone as is evident by some of the criticism in the direction that they went with the redesign. In the PHoF the table was scripted. And it was scripted very inaccurately. At the Milwaukee show the guy from FS told me that they actually scripted NGG for PHoF from video that they shot of people playing the machine. He said that they got so much stuff wrong that some players dubbed it a sequel to No Good Gofers! In the TPA version the table is emulated.

So what exactly do you think that they refused from the PHoF version of NGG to make the TPA version?

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Let's just use No Good Gofers as an example. It's obvious that the entire play field was rescanned. In the PHoF version all the text is fuzzy and mostly impossible to read. In the TPA version the text is much more crisp and much more legible. All of the ramps, toys and other physical aspects of the table have been redone as is evident by some of the criticism in the direction that they went with the redesign. In the PHoF the table was scripted. And it was scripted very inaccurately. At the Milwaukee show the guy from FS told me that they actually scripted NGG for PHoF from video that they shot of people playing the machine. He said that they got so much stuff wrong that some players dubbed it a sequel to No Good Gofers! In the TPA version the table is emulated.

So what exactly do you think that they refused from the PHoF version of NGG to make the TPA version?

I think you have No Good Gophers confused with Tee'd Off.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Just finished my Haunted House Android clock widget whilst waiting for the next beta.
My N7's home screen...
avy5etu5.jpg

Took frickin' ages getting the LCD ghosting effects to line up nicely.
Added a feature, so that an invisible launch is hidden in the Haunted House logo, press it, and it launches TPA for you.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Umm... weren't the PS3/360 exclusive tables on PHOF Williams actually emulated? Because considering what happened when they tried to script Tee'd Off (and by proxy Strikes 'n' Spares) it didn't go so well.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Umm... weren't the PS3/360 exclusive tables on PHOF Williams actually emulated? Because considering what happened when they tried to script Tee'd Off (and by proxy Strikes 'n' Spares) it didn't go so well.

I don't think any of the Williams PHoF tables were emulated. However I KNOW that NGG was not emulated because I was talking to an FS employee about who worked on that table for the PHoF version and he confirmed that it was scripted from video. They didn't even own that table.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think I remember Mike saying quite awhile ago that at least some of the DMD tables in the Williams PHOF collection were ROM emulated, but I don't remember if he specified exactly which tables.

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
No Good Gophers is 100% accurate on the Ps3 and 360 versions of the pinball hall of fame. This includes the dmd animations, sound effects/music and, rule set. I am quite sure that they couldn't ever script it to that degree of accuracy. Maybe the Farsight employee accidentally said No Good Gophers but meant Tee'd Off?

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure that Medieval Madness was one of them, but can't think of any others.

As for the Table 18 pack (before this goes the same way as every other topic) I've been playing the PC beta a lot since it came out and Haunted House is incredible. I was happy enough with the gameplay but the music tipped it from good to great and now I'm fearful of the 'end game' music :p

Tee'd Off is also great, I initially hated the art style and theme (I thought it was basically a total rip off of No Good Gofers) but the music really surprised me, and before I knew it I was playing game after game after game. If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the first tables to have the 'catch the ball in the hole' mechanic in TPA that was a huge staple of Solid State Gottliebs.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
No Good Gophers is 100% accurate on the Ps3 and 360 versions of the pinball hall of fame. This includes the dmd animations, sound effects/music and, rule set. I am quite sure that they couldn't ever script it to that degree of accuracy. Maybe the Farsight employee accidentally said No Good Gophers but meant Tee'd Off?
The 360 version of NGG is missing a few of the voice calls from the gophers. For instance, I've never heard the "time to play with your putter" and "you're holding your putter wrong" lines on the 360 version.

Tee'd Off is also great, I initially hated the art style and theme (I thought it was basically a total rip off of No Good Gofers)...
Tee'd Off came out 4 years before No Good Gofers (1993 vs 1997).

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I don't think any of the Williams PHoF tables were emulated. However I KNOW that NGG was not emulated because I was talking to an FS employee about who worked on that table for the PHoF version and he confirmed that it was scripted from video. They didn't even own that table.

He might've gotten his tables confused during this particular conversation. I know when I was talking to a FS employee at CAX, he mentioned that Goin' Nuts was scripted from video.

N

netizen

Just finished my Haunted House Android clock widget whilst waiting for the next beta.
My N7's home screen...
Took frickin' ages getting the LCD ghosting effects to line up nicely.
Added a feature, so that an invisible launch is hidden in the Haunted House logo, press it, and it launches TPA for you.

Want to share the APK?

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
I talked to Steve Ellenoff a while ago today after reading this. he said that No Good Gophers, Midevil Madness, and Tales of the Arabian Nights were all Rom based. They were not scripted, the rest of the games were, he did say that No Good Gophers and Midevil Madness had some voices missing and could never figure out why. It's one of those mysteries to be unsolved.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I talked to Steve Ellenoff a while ago today after reading this. he said that No Good Gophers, Midevil Madness, and Tales of the Arabian Nights were all Rom based. They were not scripted, the rest of the games were, he did say that No Good Gophers and Midevil Madness had some voices missing and could never figure out why. It's one of those mysteries to be unsolved.

If I recall correctly it was mentioned that in TPA they are emulated but instead of emulating the sound board, they are calling recorded samples. Missing samples would mean missing callouts...ROM emulated or not.

VP tables have the option to use samples in lieu of sound emulation through the ROM to reduce CPU time taken by vpinmame as well.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I will have to get out my PHoF disc next weekend and play them side by side to prove myself wrong. I'll try to make a video of it.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts