Table Pack #25 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
So it has the same floaty feel as who dunnit? That can't be good.

No, he said it had the same faithfulness to game play.

IRL Whodunnit was a bit floaty
IRL High Speed is wicked fast and unforgiving.

Timelord ...

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Sorry but how do define floaty? I thought who dunnit was pretty nice to play.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Sorry but how do define floaty? I thought who dunnit was pretty nice to play.

Basically it plays a lot like circus voltaire. The ball keeps upward momentum well and is a bit slow to accelerate downward initially. Whodunit is one of the tables where it actually should play this way.

In a way I kinda wish FarSight would highlight some of the play on their reference tables to put a shot by shot comparison in their promo videos. I think it would eliminate a lot of the subjectivity in opinion on how tables should play, I mean who knows maybe their CV is set at a shallow angle.

Feb 19, 2014
Basically it plays a lot like circus voltaire. The ball keeps upward momentum well and is a bit slow to accelerate downward initially. Whodunit is one of the tables where it actually should play this way.

In a way I kinda wish FarSight would highlight some of the play on their reference tables to put a shot by shot comparison in their promo videos. I think it would eliminate a lot of the subjectivity in opinion on how tables should play, I mean who knows maybe their CV is set at a shallow angle.

I think with Cirqus Voltaire (and Theatre of Magic, and Ripleys) it's older ball/physics code, the rubbers are very bouncy and could use a tweak in Magic, ball speed in general just got faster as time went on.

Who Dunnit is, apparently, intentially done as many believe. Personally I can't say cause I've never played a real Who Dunnit, but to me it feels slow and floaty like older pinball arcade releases and I almost wonder if it's running old code personally...

Because if Farsight is about tweaking speed per table, then why is Centaur, for instance, very fast when that table should be MUCH slower to mimick real life.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think with Cirqus Voltaire (and Theatre of Magic, and Ripleys) it's older ball/physics code, the rubbers are very bouncy and could use a tweak in Magic, ball speed in general just got faster as time went on.

Who Dunnit is, apparently, intentially done as many believe. Personally I can't say cause I've never played a real Who Dunnit, but to me it feels slow and floaty like older pinball arcade releases and I almost wonder if it's running old code personally...

Because if Farsight is about tweaking speed per table, then why is Centaur, for instance, very fast when that table should be MUCH slower to mimick real life.

Don't forget that they base their tweaks on the tables they have in their office which may play differently from the ones you have experience.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Who Dunnit feels very true to the two real life machines I have played. It's not a very fast or difficult pin. But I love it for the unique style of play, theme, music, and animations.
Now as for CV as you said it doesn't feel like the real thing to me. Very floaty with strange vacuum outlanes. Nothing like the real ones I've played. I'd bet if they made CV for the first time as the next DLC it would be very different than the one we currently have. Maybe someday they will go back and retune some of the pins they created back in early season 1.

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013

Hmm, Centaur is a slow table? My impression was it was a pretty fast table IRL but I've never played one.

I know that BK2K for instance is a really fast table (like Pinball Arcade) if well maintained. But at the same time I've played some awfully slow ones that were dirty and had poorly maintained parts.

I'll guess that the physics on High Speed are going to be more like BK2K than Who Dunnit. :)

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Fwiw, I played a real W?D this week and it was very similar to the TPA table, whoever defined "floaty" regarding momentum/velocity is bang-on. Norman thinks HS is just as hectic on TPA as IRL. Comparing FT with its TPA counterpart, I'm confident that what he's saying is correct... FT is brutal.

As for Centaur, I played one IRL at TPF and I found that a lot of the tables of the same era are setup at an oddly shallow, EM-feeling angle. Same with Firepower. But in TPA and with tables of a similar era I've played in Australia, they've been a lot faster.

I'm inclined (lol) to think that Centaur/FP are configured shallower generally in certain regions around the world than others. And if FS received these as either imports or private sellers who have them playing faster, that'd explain it.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
One thing I would like to add; I went to the Texas Pinball Festival Friday night and played a pristine Bride of Pinbot with LED lighting. Anyway, BoP is the only table I completed all Wizard Goals in TPA. The ramp shots felt perfect, only I had to let the Pinball roll slightly farther down the Flipper, likely due to the absense of screen lag on real hardware. Even the flipper action felt exactly the same. When I shot the ball up the heart ramp, I held the right flipper high, and when the ball hit the bottom of the flipper, it bounced and hit the 3/4 mark on the flipper before sliding down and cradling at the bottom. And as my two balls balls rolled smoothly across her face she started singing! Heartbeat was like thump, thump-thump, thump-thump-thump... Didn't quite make the "billion" point money shot, maybe next year. Either way, BoP is one sexy table, both IRL and in TPA! :eek:

Puns aside, I spoke to the TPA representative and I have a nice jiucy leak for you guys: He asked me if I played the massive Hercules table; and I replied, "yes, it's huge." He told me they recently aquired a Hercules table; I inquired if they were planning on digitising it; he stuttered a bit and told me, "It's going in the lobby for visitors to play and enjoy..." I call bull crap. Guy stuffed his foot in his mouth and I read him like a book, so for better or worse Hercules may or may not be coming to TPA. Honestly the novelty wears off as you start playing it since due to the extreme size it takes the giant cue ball some time to roll across the playfield, and there's less elements that actualy fit acoss the table, so it plays more like a slow EM than a fast modern table. I'm calling Hercules for table pack #31. Random guess...

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Boo, you went and didn't tell me? I'm heartbroken, would've loved to catch up with some other PAF people :(

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
One thing I would like to add; I went to the Texas Pinball Festival Friday night and played a pristine Bride of Pinbot with LED lighting. Anyway, BoP is the only table I completed all Wizard Goals in TPA. The ramp shots felt perfect, only I had to let the Pinball roll slightly farther down the Flipper, likely due to the absense of screen lag on real hardware. Even the flipper action felt exactly the same. When I shot the ball up the heart ramp, I held the right flipper high, and when the ball hit the bottom of the flipper, it bounced and hit the 3/4 mark on the flipper before sliding down and cradling at the bottom. And as my two balls balls rolled smoothly across her face she started singing! Heartbeat was like thump, thump-thump, thump-thump-thump... Didn't quite make the "billion" point money shot, maybe next year. Either way, BoP is one sexy table, both IRL and in TPA! :eek:

Puns aside, I spoke to the TPA representative and I have a nice jiucy leak for you guys: He asked me if I played the massive Hercules table; and I replied, "yes, it's huge." He told me they recently aquired a Hercules table; I inquired if they were planning on digitising it; he stuttered a bit and told me, "It's going in the lobby for visitors to play and enjoy..." I call bull crap. Guy stuffed his foot in his mouth and I read him like a book, so for better or worse Hercules may or may not be coming to TPA. Honestly the novelty wears off as you start playing it since due to the extreme size it takes the giant cue ball some time to roll across the playfield, and there's less elements that actualy fit acoss the table, so it plays more like a slow EM than a fast modern table. I'm calling Hercules for table pack #31. Random guess...

Hercules? Has April Fool's come early? With all the great and mediocre tables that Farsight can digitize why would they EVER do Hercules? I call bull on this just based on that fact that it's an Atari table.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Fwiw, I played a real W?D this week and it was very similar to the TPA table, whoever defined "floaty" regarding momentum/velocity is bang-on. Norman thinks HS is just as hectic on TPA as IRL. Comparing FT with its TPA counterpart, I'm confident that what he's saying is correct... FT is brutal.

As for Centaur, I played one IRL at TPF and I found that a lot of the tables of the same era are setup at an oddly shallow, EM-feeling angle. Same with Firepower. But in TPA and with tables of a similar era I've played in Australia, they've been a lot faster.

I'm inclined (lol) to think that Centaur/FP are configured shallower generally in certain regions around the world than others. And if FS received these as either imports or private sellers who have them playing faster, that'd explain it.

You do realize that you can adjust the angle of a table using the levelers on the legs, right? Just crank up the back legs. That's all there is to it. Even a slight adjustment can make a big difference.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
You do realize that you can adjust the angle of a table using the levelers on the legs, right? Just crank up the back legs. That's all there is to it. Even a slight adjustment can make a big difference.
No, really? I had no idea! My High Speed has been uneven since I got it and I was days away from getting my house restumped to fix it.

Anyway. My theory is that if one gets legs with a table, they might use the heights the legs came with as a guide for how the game should be set up, then tweak so the game isn't uneven.

StarDust4Ever

Jun 30, 2013
Isn't there a recommended banking angle for each specific table? I saw a table at TPF that had the back legs jacked up. Bals drained very quickly. IMO, if a table has it's back end jacked up, the flippers at a minimum will need more powerful solenoids to reach the same height. Even then ramps if they exist will be way too steep. IMO, tables should have used a third tilt sensor (in addition to tilt and slam tilt) to detect the pitch of the table and prevent it from operated if the back end was jacked up, so greedy operators couldn't rob patrons of their quarters.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Factory standard is 6.5 degrees for most tables with ramps.

before it was more like 4.0 degrees, which causes a floaty game.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
The display in my cab is mounted exactly at 6.5 degrees, so no problem here :)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The owners manual usually has the recommended angle listed in it. But I know a lot of people jack them up even higher as it is their preference.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
Hercules? Has April Fool's come early? With all the great and mediocre tables that Farsight can digitize why would they EVER do Hercules? I call bull on this just based on that fact that it's an Atari table.

Yeah, that would be a bad choice for a digital table. The novelty of that table is playing it in real life and even then the novelty wears off pretty quick. So if its included in a pack hopefully its just as an extra freebie along with something else.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
considering how shallow that table is, it should have been 3x smaller then regular machine, not bigger. So please, no Hercules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts